Main Menu

2000AD app - double page spreads and green screens

Started by JohnCKirk, 21 April, 2024, 07:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnCKirk

I don't know if anyone's mentioned these before, but there are 2 minor annoyances about the 2000AD app. (These apply to the iOS version on 2 different iPads. I haven't tried the Android version.)

a) If the tablet is in portrait mode, I see each page 1 at a time. If the tablet is in landscape mode, I see 2 pages at a time. This applies regardless of whether they're part of a double page spread. By contrast, Marvel Unlimited and Comixology know which pages are in spreads, so if the app is in portrait mode then it will automatically show 2 pages joined together. That means that the pages will wind up at 25% of their original size, but it's a visual cue for me to rotate the tablet into landscape mode (bringing the spread to 50% of its original size). There have been a few times when I've been confused by 2000AD pages, until I read the next page and then realise that I only saw half of a conversation.

b) If an issue is longer than 60 pages, it displays a green screen. This isn't like the Windows "blue screen of death", i.e. it's just within that application. If I close and restart the app, I can resume reading from that point. For a Megazine, I only need to do this once. For a longer issue (e.g. Dredd Case Files), I have to do it multiple times.

Funt Solo

Probably no help whatsoever (as you're talking about iPads), but if you have access to a PC, then Adobe Reader can be set up to view the PDF versions of the comic sensibly (as regards page-spreads). I have a big monitor, so I'm basically viewing the comic at print-size.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

I am reading the prog and meg via my iPad as well. I do not experience the same problems.

Try the following:
1. Go to Account
2. I have under the Reading settings: Page Animation, Display side by side and Prevent Screen Timeout ticked

My problem with the app is more the continuous time-outs I get and how it refresh the content. The reading part I am fine with but the app behaves poorly slow when content is available were you have to close and re-open the app to start your downloads

Funt how do you set Adobe Reader to view PDF versions in comic "style". I am also using CDisplayEx which I can set the view however I want to see the pages.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Get Chunky Comic Reader on iPad, I'd say. The app appears to be abandoned, but it's still the best comic reader on the platform. And Rebellion lets you download CBRs you can add to Chunky and other readers.

JohnCKirk

Quote from: broodblik on 22 April, 2024, 05:31:48 AMI am reading the prog and meg via my iPad as well. I do not experience the same problems.

Try the following:
1. Go to Account
2. I have under the Reading settings: Page Animation, Display side by side and Prevent Screen Timeout ticked

I have the same boxes ticked, but that didn't help. In particular, the "side by side" option only applies when the tablet is in landscape mode. So, if I read the whole comic that way, it would be fine, but then I'd be reading at 50% size. (As Funt Solo says, this wouldn't be an issue for reading on a desktop monitor, and that might be the best solution.)

Do you read all issues in landscape mode, or switch between portrait and landscape?

QuoteMy problem with the app is more the continuous time-outs I get and how it refresh the content. The reading part I am fine with but the app behaves poorly slow when content is available were you have to close and re-open the app to start your downloads

Yeah, that's also a problem for me: I generally have to close and re-open the app each time there's a new issue available. I forgot to mention it here, but it's something I think of whenever I see the tips that say "Don't close apps, it wastes more battery than leaving them running".

While I'm moaning, another issue is metadata. I'd like the app to keep track of which issues I've read, particularly if I buy a bundle of back issues. (Other apps already do this, e.g. Marvel Unlimited, and so do streaming services like Disney+.)

As it stands, I download issues, and they say "Unread". After I read them in the app, the "Unread" status disappears (which is correct). However, if I then delete them and download them again, they say "Unread" again. That implies that the flag is only attached to the local copy, rather than being synced with the server.

I've been able to work around this by having a separate document with a "to do" list of unread comics, but it would be nice if the app could do that for me.

Doomlord66

I use Comic Screen for all my comics on my tablet. Seems to handle everything ok

broodblik

Quote from: JohnCKirk on 22 April, 2024, 09:07:14 PMDo you read all issues in landscape mode, or switch between portrait and landscape?

I read portrait mode and when we have a double page I just swing to landscape mode. I do not have a problem reading the prog/meg itself. I also download the CBZ to my computer for easy access afterwards.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.