Main Menu

Catching the Omnibus

Started by Marbles, 20 June, 2007, 03:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marbles

I just bought the Frank Miller Daredevil Omnibus - 800 pages of full colour DD+Elektra action wedged between a nice thick hardcover, with lots of extras. All for £40 (RRP £65),new on ebay. Awesome.

Now as someone on another Board mentioned in passing, is this not the answer to the colour Dredds conundrum in relation to the continuation of the Casebooks series ?

What better format to represent all the colour Dredds.

Ok it would be pricey, but the Collectors out there would go for it, and the format is selling like hot-cakes for DC & Marvel....

Remember - dry hair is for squids

The Amstor Computer

I would suggest that - as much as 2K fans would love to think otherwise - there is a far, far smaller market for reprints of Judge Dredd than there is for something like Daredevil, or early Fantastic Four, Spiderman etc., and that market only shrinks the higher you price the books. Deluxe colour reprints at £40-65 are the domain of the hardcore fan, and while the American superhero comics may have a large enough hardcore fanbase to carry luxury lines like Marvel's Masterworks books, I don't think 2000AD does, especially when we're talking about colour reprints of stories that are only 15-odd years old and still easily available in original format for a relatively persistent fan.

The only viable options I can see for chunky-ish colour reprints of Dredd are either the "themed" collections (stories by the same artist, or collecting an epic or multi-story saga) or half-sized Case Files. A colour book the size of the Case Files would be too expensive, IMO.

Byron Virgo

Plus, at least one or two of those chunky books would be collections of Ennis, Millar, Morrison and Steelgrove Dredds (mostly with rather ugly painted brown art), and it would take a daring publisher to risk that there were enough obsessive nerds about who'd buy such dross to make them viable and continue the series.

Buddy

I could see them doing the colour stories at the same price but a lower page count per volume, or cancelling the line before it gets to the colour episodes.

Proudhuff

Damn! Thought this was an Archers thread

Brookfields Huff
DDT did a job on me