Main Menu

Short vs. long stories: discuss properly.

Started by death monkey 23, 28 November, 2001, 06:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

death monkey 23

The recent batch of future shocks have been crap - in the main - as they usually deal with massive great big seismic changes such as the extinction of the human race in about 5 pages, with approx. 40 words worth of script.  And the ones which don't are just crap anyway.

On the other hand, Durham Red has been awful in her own story since it started, and as far as I can make out, she's usually in long ones most of the time.

I personally was enthralled by the recent 4-part Dredd story.  I was bloody worried, man.  I was convinced that Hershey wanted Dredd put down!  That was amazing!  

But then,

Nikolai Dante.  He's amazing, and his story is a total epic.  So there you go.

Short one-shots have no place in 2000AD any more.  or do they?

What do you think, dudes?

fraston

one offs and future shocks serve a purpose, which is to act as a "snack" for passing readers. i know that when i was younger i wasn't interested in the main strips in 2000ad so i'd always read the one off and then leave again.

personally i like short strips if they're done well, and can appreciate even the dullest if only as example of how NOT to do comics:)

their day will never pass, much same as the epics. balance is needed young grasshopper.
Fraston

McNulty

I agree; short stories have a place in 2000ad. They have to have a quick attention grabbing introduction, followed by a bit of development, then end with a suitably humorous/ tragic/ unexpected twist. For most of the future shocks, a short story is enough to accomplish this. My bugbear is stories which go on too long, as if they have been told to run for x amount of weeks, no matter what. If I cannot get into a story e.g. Necronauts, it just DRAGS on with me.

Fifty

The one about the kid who wanted to be the flying creature was quite good the way he did the mind sawp and the other thing then shot him.

Apart from that they have mostly been muck.

But the short Dredds have mostly been good.  I especially loved Couch Potatoes.

Helter Skelter was pap, but no Dredd epics ever live up to Necropolis anyway.

Dante is always much better in his long runs than in his one-offs (which are rare anyway)

Sinister Dexter are normally much better in short strips.

I think, basically there is a place for long short and medium strips, but that different characters suit different lengths.

El Spurioso

"The one about the kid who wanted to be the flying creature was quite good the way he did the mind sawp and the other thing then shot him."

Hai thankyew.

Jayzus B. Christ

Very much off the subject, this one, but youre pretty good at the old future shocks: are you writing any multi-part stories?

death monkey 23

Yeah man, go on Si.  I bet you could sort out Tor Cyan's little twiddly adventures before all is revealed.  Come on si.  you're wicked.

Cos I'm new, I don't know what else you rote.  what have you done?  eh?

Jayzus B. Christ

A pleasure to meet you too, Owen.

El Spurioso

"Very much off the subject, this one, but youre pretty good at the old future shocks: are you writing any multi-part stories?"

Aw, cheers feller.  Never one to allow compliments to go to my head (heh) but it's always great when someone appreciates what you've done.

With regard to multi-parters, I've plenty of ideas in the bag.  The road from concept to execution is a long windy one, however.  Watch this space (hopefully)..

El Spurioso

"Very much off the subject, this one, but youre pretty good at the old future shocks: are you writing any multi-part stories?"

Aw, cheers feller.  Never one to allow compliments to go to my head (heh) but it's always great when someone appreciates what you've done.

With regard to multi-parters, I've plenty of ideas in the bag.  The road from concept to execution is a long windy one, however.  Watch this space (hopefully)..

Jayzus B. Christ

You have Jayzus' blessings, my son.