Main Menu

Exclusive!! You heard it here first!!!

Started by Fifty, 30 November, 2001, 03:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fifty

Great news for all fans of Carl Critchlow, especially those of you who remember Thrud the Barbarian.

*gives away geek background*

I e-mailed Carl Critchlow the other day, and here is part of the reponse I got from him:

Now a bit of exclusive news for you...

I've begun work on a Thrud comic which I intend to self-publish next year.  Hopefully full colour  at least 22 pages and available mail order.

There will be full details on my website, which will have a Thrud section with an introduction and a couple of preview pieces very soon - I'll let you know when it's up there.

... well, great new eh?

The website is, simply enough, www.carlcritchlow.com.  It is okay as websites go.

Matt

Thrud. God I've got the collected White Dwarf stories somewhere. Shit I've lost it! Must go back home to mums & look for it. Can anyone remember the strip where Thrud met a very Dredd inspired Judge? Would be great if someone could dig it out & put it in the Thrill Viewer.

MATT (who no longer shops in Games Workshop)

Fifty

I've got that collection too, but it is in England, and I am in Japan!!

Fifty (who no longer shops at Games Workshop)

Wake

I've got some old White Dwarfs (pre #100) so I'll take a look. If I find a Judge Dredd Thrudd crossover, I'll see if I can get permission to upload it.

Wake (who no longer shops at Games Workshop)

Matt

Fifty, you didn't play War Hammer as well did you? The amount of time I must have wasted in my formative years pushing Bugmans Dwarf army around a kitchen table arguing with my brother whenever my chaos mortar crew killed his orc war wyvern. We never did finish a game without having a fist fight over movement ratings. Games Workshop is such a sad & geeky place. It was the kind of place you went to on a Saturday and spent all day there. Come to think of it, all the shop assistants were a bit sinister, spending all that time in the company of young children, enthusing about snot goblins & orges. Creepy. It's only redeeming feature was that it was the only shop in Sheffield that you could buy Dredd titan books in before someone invented comic shops. h'mmm, comic shops...now there's another geeky environment. Has anyone ever gone into a comic shop with their girlfriend? I don't know who suffered from culture shock the worst, my girlfriend or the people already in there.

MATT (who no longer shops in comic shops, but buys them over the internet instead)

Matt

Hey Wake, why not dig out some Goobledegook the goblin strips as well.

Wood

Yes, actually I do remember Thrud. That's pretty cool.

Wood
(who never shopped in Games Workshop)

Fifty

yeah, i used to play all that before i discovered sport and women.  blood bowl was the best.

i once went in a comic shop with my girlfriend, and i know what you mean.  The staff looked well confused.

Fifty (who no longer shops in comic books because he lives in Japan and has to get everything over the internet.)

O Lucky Stevie!

this is perhaps the singlemost amazing posting i have ever read on this board.

congratulations, matt!

steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Matt

Steven, I think it's time that I shared my girlfriend in a comic shop experience. I had taken my then girlfriend  to Nostalgia & Comics in Sheffield. This used to be the coolest hang out in the world, before comic shops decieded that selling Star Trek Voyager figures & Buffy posters was much better than actually selling any comics. At this time people like Dean Ormston and Nick Percievel used to either work there or just hang out (I never worked out which). This place was comic chic. Anyway I went in with my girlfriend, hoping she would too feel the coolness of the place & finally stop taking the piss out of my obsession of putting my 2Kad collection in card backed comic bags. I was browsing the latest imports when her voice cut loud & clear over the whole shop, "Matt, look they've got a Moonwalker comic". I turned around to discover that she was waving a comic adaption of the said same film. Oh the shame. I wanted to die. I can still the laughs of the customers as I left the store without buying a sodding thing. I swore I would never take a girl to a comic shop again. Mind you, even that cannot beat the horror that was taking your mum into a comic shop....

MATT

O Lucky Stevie!

hey, i worked in one for a year!

one off my most horrifying memories was the grinning idiot who lent across the counter to earnestlyexclaim, "guess what i did on the weekend? broke into a nuclear reactor!" took a second or two before my mind register RPG alert!

then there was the hour long diatribeabout how lit fans (people who actually read science fiction) sucked from the guy who built a scale model replica of the jupiter 2 from 'lost in space' (years before the film remake, too!)

there was one girl who used to come in & buy crisis, every fortnight, which was good to see.

steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

fraston

"h'mmm, comic shops...now there's another geeky environment. Has anyone ever gone into a comic shop with their girlfriend? I don't know who suffered from culture shock the worst, my girlfriend or the people already in there. "

sure have. if ye linger in comic shops long enough you'll spot the lesser-known komik-chik, a species of reader with different genitalia and hormonal arrangements to the standard geekus-decomicus.
fraston

Matt

Yeah, but girls that read comics are usually mingers aren't they.

MATT (sitting back & waiting for the sparks to fly)

death monkey 23

who's thrud?  what's he about?

fraston

"Yeah, but girls that read comics are usually mingers aren't they. "

O Matt, Matt....

all i can say is "NO".

no more than guys who read comics are the fat sarcastic star trek fan of simpsons fame.
Cos i'm thin, relatively witless and i hate star trek.

ye know this attitude is what keeps this little club  a "boys only" domain....

F