Main Menu

SPEED IT UP

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 03 February, 2009, 10:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

All true, but if you are looking for a "creator" for 2000AD, then Pat stands miles ahead of any other serious contenders for the post - of course, it wasnt that simple, but its hardly Stalinist revisionism to suggest he should deserve that credit.  Kelvin suggested doing a sci-fi comic, and he steered it in those early days, but he steered it from the template Pat was paid (handsomely it seems) to set.

Sure, he didnt write and draw it all singlehandedly, but he was the one who in those early days said "this is what the comic should be", and for my money, thats enough to find it hard to begrudge using creator - after all, its all there for people who want to then delve a bit deeper into how it all came into place.

It seems to me Pat has always gone to great lengths to name the names of others involved in just about every interview Ive seen with him.  Basically, Pat was charged with "creating" the comic - sure, he didnt do that entirely solo, and he didnt hang around much after the "birth" editorially... but I can't see why people would begrudge 'creator', even with it being a fairly vague and admittedly rough description of the more complex reality.  Sanders wanted a sci-fi comic, and Pat Mills delivered it - Personally, I dont think early 2000AD is a fully formed beast - it takes a huge stack of writers and artists who appear well after the launch to become what it is.  But Pat did set it all rolling, and even if the direction swerved a long way from where he started it rolling, he was the one who gave it that first push.  What would be a better term for Pats involvement in setting up the comic?

Roger Godpleton

Now everyone can show their appreciation for Pat in the Ultimate Mills Tournament.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=24260
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Richmond Clements

Indeed, as I said- drunkenly and several times- during the weekend at HiEx, like his work on hated it- none of us would be here without him.

Kerrin

Too right yer lordship. Pat Mills has written some of my all time favourite stories. Grud knows how much of my life has been spent reading his work and I wouldn't change him for the world. Greysuit however will be deleted from my buffers as soon as it finishes.

Bouwel

I quite like Greysuit

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Colin YNWA

Quote from: "Bouwel"I quite like Greysuit

-Bouwel-

Yeah I enjoy it too and often wonder why it gets the flack it does. Sometimes its all a bit meladramatic in a "Oh my gosh look how badly he broke his jawwwww YUCK" kind of way but still a fun read. Better than Defoe by a country mile. Still each to their own.

Nap Normal

I liked Finn!!! so much so that I wish they would release a graphic novel of all the collected stories.
Does anyone know if there are any future plans to do this?
Falling in love makes you fat.

Bouwel

QuoteI quite like Greysuit

I would like to add 'Up until prog # 1622'.
What the hell happened with the Omega man? He says 'Ghostbusters' and suddenly he's all friendly and duffs up the minister? Did I miss something there...what the hell happened??

-Bouwel-
(I think I used up my quota of question marks for the night there)
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Paul faplad Finch

What happened was it was a Pat Mills script. Can you really be surprised.

Still loving Charley though. On book three now. Top stuff, even if his commentary is becoming inceasingly self congratulatory aand egotistical.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read