Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

I'm reading Larry Marder's Tales of the Beanworld from 1987+, reprinted in hardback as vol.1: 'Wahoolazuma'.

STRIKE !!!

Colin YNWA

Finally completed my collection of Beanworld a few months back and its now very close to the top of the pile and will be read sometime this summer. Can't wait as the stuff I read back in the day was brillant, brillant stuff.

Hope there's more new stuff coming after the X-Mas special

zombemybabynow

The Boys Volume No.4 came out Wednesday 1st July.

Got all the issues so far of The Authority: world's end by Abnett and Coleby, Tres, tres bon

Check it out if you haven't - even if like me you've never read the authority or wildstorm comics before.
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

vzzbux

Just found my Sven Hassel books in my loft. Will take some time to plough through these again.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Just started the Harry Potters for the first time. Quite enjoying them, too.  Finished the third on the train this morning.
Lock up your spoons!

Grae the puppetmaker

Just read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. God that's harrowing. And grim. And more harrowing.

Now re-reading my Transmetropolitan trades.

Roger Godpleton

I've started reading Planetes, a manga about space garbage men. It may have just been my melancholy disposition at the time but I had to stop reading at one point because of how affecting it was.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

SamuelAWilkinson

I'm currently re-reading, for at least the tenth time, Spike Milligan's war memoirs - Adolf Hitler, My Part in His Downfall et al. Really funny at some parts, horribly moving and affecting at others. Should be required reading.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

I, Cosh

No blacks. No dogs. No Irish.

Not Godpleton's new sig, but Johnny Rotten's autobiography. Equal measures self-aggrandising, blame-passing, revealing and obfuscating but always fascinating and completely hilarious. It's the kind of writing which perfectly captures the rhythm of speech: you can hear him sneering out every short, clipped sentence. The insertion of commentary from a number of other people who were there makes for an interesting sense of perspective too.
We never really die.

Dark Jimbo

Nearing the end of Neal Stephenson's 'The Confusion', with the first few Flashman books and some H.G. Wells lined up for after that.
@jamesfeistdraws

Zarjazzer

"The New space Opera" by various writers. Ok rather than star stunning. Not really my idea of space opera either, too techie and not enough blasting those tentacled aliens. At least not so far.

Just read Christopher Moellers graphic novels "Iron Empires- Faith Conquers" and "Shiva's War",. now that is my idea of space opera plucky humans blasting oogley 'orrible aliens,a bit Warhammer 40k, but I like that sort of stuff anyway.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

OpusAndBill

Nightmare Town, a Dashiell Hammett short story collection.
Boasting the efficacy of Oliver Wendell Jones' Hair Tonic.

Mardroid

I grabbed a few books from the library recently, most of which I've read.

Recently I read a DC GN crossover with Superman and Captain Marvel (I think it was called 'First Thunder.' Awful as it sounds, it was actually fairly decent.

I also read an Anne Rice novel 'The Body Thief.' Not bad, but I'm slightly tired of the big twist at the end of her books. Don't get me wrong, I like a twist in a story, but in her case it tends to feel tacked on after the main story is finished, and rather out of nowhere just for shock value. And much as I don't mind different sexual orientations being depicted in novels (it's realistic after all) 'every character being bisexual is a little daft. (Ok, that's an exaggeration.)

I then read a Manga called 'Monster' by Kurosawa. I often avoid mangas as I find the dialogue rather excruciating, and the sheer amount of sound affects (each with speech baloons!) irritating. And this suffered from all that. To be fair there actually was a decent plot in this story though. Unfortunately it turned out to be the first volume in a series, so the stories not over yet. I'm not sure if I will bother to hunt the others or not. I'd like to know what happens, but the corny cliches and cheese is a bit overpowering.

I just started a novel, White Wolf by David Gemmell. Too early to tell how it is, but it's ok so far. Gemmells not a favourite author as such but he tells a decent yarn with interesting worlds and creatures. The 'killer with a conscience' theme is a bit repetitive though. But then it is an interesting theme.

worldshown

Quote from: Mardroid on 14 July, 2009, 12:13:15 PM

I then read a Manga called 'Monster' by Kurosawa.

Is that the one with the Japanese surgeon in Germany and set in the late 80s? If so then I have seen some of the anime of it.

The anime is well plotted but it does tend to drag, though the antagonist (when he appears) is a pretty memorable villain.

locustsofdeath!

Hello! I figured I'd add to this impressive list:

As far as books, I've just finished a collection by Lord Dunsany, who is far and away, my favorite writer. Just this morning I cracked open Duncton Wood by William Horwood; I absolutely love animal stories, and this came highly recommended by the fellow working the thrift store counter. So far, so good.

And as for comics, I am rereading my Conan the Barbarian collection 1-375 back to back to take in the full glory (and bumps) of its amazing (by  monthly standards) run. I am currently on 212. Amazing how Roy Thomas could do no wrong for 110 issues during his first stint, and then lost it completely for his second stint at the end of the run. Also, it becomes incredibly evident how amazing Barry Smith (not yet Windsor) was in comparison to those that followed, even John Buscema. Whither art thou, BWS?