Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Comics-wise just started into 100 Bullets.  Somebody reassure me it gets better, because the first few issues, meh.  

Aside: started and finished a Justice Society of America hardcover by Geoff Johns, set after (I think) Infinite Crisis, picked up from the library on account of a nice cover.  

It was one of the worst comic books I have ever read.  

The nephew of the Wesley Dodds Sandman's love Diane can turn into sand.  The son of Wildcat can turn into a wildcat.  And the grandson of WWII cyborg Commander Steel can turn into steel.  Why, for the love of crimminey, why?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: faplad on 31 August, 2009, 03:58:56 PM
Locke and Keye has been a recent highlight for me. Got the first collection - Welcome to Lovecraft - from the library and devoured it in one sitting. Lovely cartoony art that shouldn't work with the horror but somehow does and the kind of expert pacing you'd expect from a seasoned pro, rather than the first timer we have here, have made it a fantastic read.

I've found myself flicking through this a few times in Waterstones, wondering if it was worth a punt. Must confess the cartoony art did make me wonder if it would adversely affect the horror aspect - nice to know it doesn't, because it is rather fabulous.
@jamesfeistdraws

Dark Jimbo

Double post, nothing to see here.
@jamesfeistdraws

Odd_Bloke

Prog 662, at the moment.  My first shipment of eBay buys has arrived. \o/

Mike Gloady

Nice!

Enjoy them, Odd Bloke, and keep us up to date on what you're enjoying and otherwise as you go.  We're nosey like that.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Hazel

Can I cheekily mention my other half's debut novel:

"Joe Fury and the Hard Death" by Paul Anthony Long

It's out today and available on Amazon and in indie bookshops and some Waterstones.

It's a fast moving funny hard boiled fantasy sci fi adventure. It was reviewed by Pat Mills from 2000AD who said lots of nice things about it including that "it was a pleasure to enter Joe Fury's weird world. Hell... Eternal Wars... Giant Robots... Dinosaurs... These are the elements of classic fantasy I am very familiar with in my own world of comics and are smoothly and excitingly executed here."

For more information and details of how to order online see http://www.softeditions.co.uk/site/i...d=97&Itemid=27

Many thanks for your time.

Hazel x

Kerrin

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 September, 2009, 08:11:14 AM
Comics-wise just started into 100 Bullets.  Somebody reassure me it gets better, because the first few issues, meh.

I found the first TPB (issues 1-5) to be the weakest of the 13, and then they get better and better. I'd say stick with it, and if you can't get on with them you may curse my name to your dog.

Seriously though, they improve immensely.

Paul faplad Finch

I recently added Bullets to my GN rotation and the first book is inching its way ever closer to the top of the 'to read' pile so of course now is the time for someone to raise doubts about it. I took the plunge because it seemed to be universally admired. Hope this isn't the start of a backlash.

Just bought The Writers Tale. Read the first chapter tonight. Amazing to see how much of season four of Who was there in Davies head before he'd even written the Titanic episode. Also, how different some things could have turned out. I was torn over whether to get this cos it's bloody expensive and moneys tight but I got a deal on a copy with a torn dust sleeve and I'm glad I did cos that first chapter has me convinced it's gonna be a fascinatiing read.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Odd_Bloke

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 01 September, 2009, 02:29:44 PM
Enjoy them, Odd Bloke, and keep us up to date on what you're enjoying and otherwise as you go.  We're nosey like that.

Very well then.  I have read progs 660-663 thus far, and my musings thereon are contained below.

Overall, I'm impressed.  I'm dropping into the middle of quite a few storylines, which is making some things confusing.  I'll cover my brief thoughts on what I'm reading below

The Dead Man - I picked this up at episode 11 and have followed it to where it morphs into the Judge Dredd story.  I like the art on this, and I didn't find the story at all hard to pick up.  I really like how it moves from The Dead Man into Dredd, particularly how we see Dredd having to move on from the blinding of the boy with him.

Zenith: Phase 3: War in Heaven Part 2 - My least favourite thrill that I've seen thus far, by a ways.  Most of the problem is picking it up part way through; I have no idea what is going on.  But the art doesn't really help, it's too indistinct and minimalist for me to be able to easily distinguish between characters, and it distracts me from the writing too much for me to have an opinion on that.

Chopper: Song of the Surfer - Probably my favourite thrill of these 4 progs.  I pick up the story just as the race starts, which means I'm not as invested in Chopper as I might otherwise be, nor do I know anything about his competitors.  Nonetheless, it's a testament to the art and writing that I've still been drawn in by this, and am looking forward to its conclusion.

Bradley - This is a little too entrenched in the early 90s for me to really get to grips with (my second birthday was the day before the cover date of #662).  It seems a little garish and overbearing.  Reminds me of those two irritating puppets off of The Big Breakfast.

Judge Dredd: I'm Manny, Me Fly - Alright.  Feels a bit like Tharg thought "oh crap, we don't have any Dredd for this prog" and had a droid quickly rework a Future Shocks script.

Tharg's Future Shocks - Out of the couple I've read, nothing special.

Judge Dredd: A Letter To Dredd - This is my earliest exposure to a Dredd that isn't just one-dimensional, and it's interesting to see how he reacts to this letter.  It works well as a prologue to the Tale of the Dead Man stuff.

Slaine - This is very pretty, but I have no idea what's going on.  Doesn't help that the first prog it was in was missing a page of backstory and exposition but even with that I'm confused.  But, as I say, very pretty.

Judge Dredd: Tale of the Dead Man - Seen the first two episodes of this thus far, and I like how it's developing.  It'd be interesting to know how much I'm missing having not caught the start of The Dead Man.

Bix Barton - Only caught the pilot of this, and don't really know what to expect.  Am looking forward to finding out.

Hmm, having finished all this, I wonder if this thread is really the best place for this.  I'll put it in here for now, but is there a better place to put this sort of stuff in future (somewhere in the Spoilers section, maybe?)

Paul faplad Finch

COLINYNWA has been posting a running account of any interesting stuff in his big reread in the "other reviews" section for a while now. I reckon thats your best bet, although I doubt anyone would object too strongly if you posted in here.

The above brings up another point. Has anyone else ever been in that situation where you meet someone, and then you bump into them a few times, and pretty soon you're seeing them every day and they're calling out to you in the street and you realise that you don't know their name but you feel like you've left it too long and they'll be offended if you let on so you daren't ask? 

What does YNWA mean?
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

O Lucky Stevie!

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

TordelBack

Quote(my second birthday was the day before the cover date of #662)

Drokk.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: faplad on 02 September, 2009, 02:30:46 AM
What does YNWA mean?

I've been asked that a couple of times recently. Apparently PJ Holden thought it was a big up to NWA BUT its actually You'll Never Walk Alone. Which is either an obsure reference to Invasion and Robusters, me showing my love of musicals OR a reference to years of following Liverpool Football Club.