Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 15 January, 2010, 01:30:30 PM
Rac, I have to ask - has Tyrion Lannister also become one of your favourite characters in, well, just about anything ever?

Yes! He is an absolutely wonderfully realised delicious character! Even now- 800 pages in I still don't know who's side he's on! Apart from [spoiler]his own[/spoiler], that is.
I've a soft spot for Arya too. I just hope she doesn't [spoiler]die horribly[/spoiler] in the next 20 or 30 pages...

Emperor

Quote from: uncle fester on 15 January, 2010, 01:42:25 PM
Quote from: strontium_dog_90 on 15 January, 2010, 01:17:24 PM
I read that Ian Rankin was supposed to be taking over the writing of the main Hellblazer comic itself at some point, does anyone know if any of that has happened yet?

I have no idea but on the strength of Dark Entries I'd happily read more.

My understanding was that he was discussing a story arc with Vertigo and it morphed into the graphic novel, which Vertigo used to launch their Vertigo Crime line.

Hellblazer seems fairly tied up for the next year or so, with Simon Oliver taking over from Peter Milligan (last I heard anyway), and based on Chas I am a tad worried (but it should be fine once he gets his feet under the table). Beyond that... who knows? Review of Dark Entries have been... mixed (why I've not bothered reading it yet) but I'm sure if he has another story up hi sleeve Vertigo would be interested, probably in a graphic novel to better target Rankin's core audience.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

uncle fester

I'd say those reviews are quite harsh,. But then I would expect no less from reviewers. I'm yet to read one (musical, literary or other), that I agree with. It's easy to slate something. They just happen to get paid at the same time.

Mike Gloady

Apart from the central premise being about 5 years late, I thought Dark Entries a fine entry in the Hellblazer canon.  He'd appeal to me as a future writer.

Milligan's leaving the title?  His work was certainly fun and diverting in lots of ways (despite not being a favourite creator of mine in many ways) and it's a shame he's already leaving.  Oliver's work on "The Knowledge" (the Chas Chandler mini-series) was an interesting concept but the execution felt like a first draft.  Hopefully he'll be able to continue to build on the excellent work Diggle did resurrecting this title both commercially AND artistically. 

Right, I've got an upset tum tum and I'm off to lie on my bed, listen to Susumu Yokota and reread Edginton & D'Israeli's "Leviathan"
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Colin YNWA

Quote from: starscape on 15 January, 2010, 07:41:13 AM
Got a few X-Men Pocket Books, which has the Claremont/Cockrum/Byrne classic run.  I'm enjoying them far more now than I did at the time.  Can't stand Wolverine (over-exposed and not really my kind of hero either) but, as just another member of the team, although a little grouchy, he's working pretty well.

I was the other way round (except for not really liking Wolverine which I'm completely with you on). I loved the Cockrum/Byrne Claremont run when I was younger but when I tried to read it again a couple of years ago I found it really hard work. Really hard work. I know it the day it was ground pretty exciting but I didn't think it aged well. To be honest the longer the Claremont run went on the worse it got. I even struggled to get through the John Romita Jr issues which used to be my favourites.

strontium_dog_90

Quote from: Emperor on 15 January, 2010, 03:33:47 PM
Quote from: uncle fester on 15 January, 2010, 01:42:25 PM
Quote from: strontium_dog_90 on 15 January, 2010, 01:17:24 PM
I read that Ian Rankin was supposed to be taking over the writing of the main Hellblazer comic itself at some point, does anyone know if any of that has happened yet?

I have no idea but on the strength of Dark Entries I'd happily read more.

My understanding was that he was discussing a story arc with Vertigo and it morphed into the graphic novel, which Vertigo used to launch their Vertigo Crime line.

Hellblazer seems fairly tied up for the next year or so, with Simon Oliver taking over from Peter Milligan (last I heard anyway), and based on Chas I am a tad worried (but it should be fine once he gets his feet under the table). Beyond that... who knows? Review of Dark Entries have been... mixed (why I've not bothered reading it yet) but I'm sure if he has another story up hi sleeve Vertigo would be interested, probably in a graphic novel to better target Rankin's core audience.

That's a shame, I've been looking forward to reading further works on the character by Rankin. That said, "Dark Entries" has made me want to pick up some of the regular Hellblazer monthly issues, so I guess it's done its job, really. I'm just waiting for the next storyline to start up, hoping to add it to my regular comic reading pile :-)

Gibson Quarter

One of my favorite reads in the last 6 months is 'GUS' by Chris Blaine. (I think the english reprint is called 'Gus and his gang' ) This is a quirky little graphic novel that I could not put down. If you see it, I highly recommend you give it a read!

The Enigmatic Dr X

I am enjoying Matter. Banks' culture stuff is good. Then again, I liked Synamon.
Lock up your spoons!

Roger Godpleton

Reading Atrocity Exhibition for the first time. I liked the song better.[dullard off]
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

amberkraken

I love the 'Songs of Fire and Ice' series. It's amazing I'll have to admit that my favourite character is [spoiler]Jamie[/spoiler] I wont say why, incase it spoils it for people who haven't read them.
Though Adie took all the George RR Martin's when she left, so I'll have to buy and read them all again for when the next book comes out (though it's been delayed 3 years already!)

Mardroid

I enjoyed the Songs of Fire and Ice series too, that which I've read anyway. (So far I've read the third book. Or is it the first half of the third book? It appears to be distributed in 2 novels or as a collection. I've been getting them from the library and haven't been able to find the latter. That's the thing about libraries, they really are a wonderful resource, but rarely are entire series available. At least when you'd like them.)

I do like magic in my fantasy books, but then again it does exist here, just in a subtle and interesting way. [spoiler]The Stark kids and their dire-wolves for example. The girl and her dragons. The eunuch and that rather horrific experience with how he became... you know... and what's with Arya's mate with the changing face for example?[/spoiler] Just voicing a thought, if you know, don't answer, I'll find out for myself later.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Mardroid on 18 January, 2010, 05:21:09 AM
That's the thing about libraries, they really are a wonderful resource, but rarely are entire series available. At least when you'd like them.)

Libraries being a wonderful resource normally have an ordering service whereby if you request something if its availabel they'll get it in. Talk to the best resource in your library the staff hopefully they'll help out?

I, Cosh

Another vote for a Song of Ice and Fire. It does go on a bit, but it's full of great, unpredictable characters  and unexpected plot twists. The magical elements are almost non-existent in the first couple and handled well when they do appear.

I am, however, contemplating waiting until they're all written before buying any more to avoid having to reread the whole lot every five years. Although the need to provide source material  for the tv series might speed him up a bit.
We never really die.

Richmond Clements

Well, the end of Game of Thrones..!

I had expected the [spoiler]dragon eggs hatching[/spoiler] to be the Big Event at the end of book 2... shows what I know.

Started reading Al Ewing's I, Zombie. Great so far!

strontium_dog_90

Quote from: His Lordship rac on 18 January, 2010, 10:23:16 AM
Well, the end of Game of Thrones..!

I had expected the [spoiler]dragon eggs hatching[/spoiler] to be the Big Event at the end of book 2... shows what I know.

Started reading Al Ewing's I, Zombie. Great so far!

I, Zombie is a quality read, Rac, it's absolutely mental! Drop a line on here when you've finished it, I can guarantee you'll not see any of the end stuff coming :-)