Main Menu

Meg 291 - Hang 'em high

Started by Batman's Superior Cousin, 05 November, 2009, 05:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batman's Superior Cousin

I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

W. R. Logan

Jim_Campbell

Reference to a damn fine Clint Eastwood movie as well. Probably the first of Eastwood's "subverting the genre" westerns, and its from 1968!

I have so much time for Clint Eastwood.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Exclusive preview of Mr. Amperduke Returns?  Hoppity-skippity!

Pete Wells

Yay, a Prog and a Meg day on a Friday, cool!

I've only read Dredd but had to post that Al Ewing has done it again! It's a cracking little tale featuring Dredd and Rico. It's both funny and poignant with great art by Paddy Goddard. Then, immediately following it, there's a beautiful forthcoming cover by King Carlos - think of the seminal "Who the Hell would mess with us?" page from Judgement Day but this time featuring Dredd and Rico, it's really cool.

I've not been able to read the rest of the strips yet but just want to say that the standard of the artwork seems particularly high this issue. Goddard on Dredd (yay!), that amazing carlos Cover, really beautiful Tanky work by Rufus (especially the first page, wow!), a preview of the ABC Warriors cartoon thingy, PJ's work on the Black Museum looks like a cross between McMahon, D'Isreali and erm... PJ, Mr Amperduke and more of that Mad-esque Andrew Currie Bato Loco art. Finally, there's a great, festive John Higgins cover for next issue, cor!

I can't wait to read 'em, damn you work!!! I hope that those that didn't enjoy last months' issue will get more out of this 'un.

radiator

Sounds good - really looking forward to the Meg again after a few below-par issues. Really must remember to add the Meg to my sub - in fact I think I'll do it now.

Mattofthespurs

Dredd was a corker this month. Had an old skool feel about it.
Tales from the Black Museum was good as was, surprisingly, Tank Girl.
Not into Bato Loco at the moment but i enjoyed the piece on comic licences.
The movie reviews continue to be the black sheep of the family.
Best yet, Meg 292 will contain a Rogue Trooper G/N.
Happy days.

the shutdown man

Quick question since I don't usually get the Meg: Is that book 2 of Canon Fodder with this month's one?

You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Pete Wells

Yup, with a couple of bonus Chris Weston stories.

the shutdown man

Awesome, shall have to pick that up, so.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Pete Wells

Yeah Shutdown, it's a great Meg too. As I wrote earlier, the Dredd tale is excellent (wait till you meet the jury, Juror Eight is a hoot!)

I know it's not eveyone's cuppa, but Tank Girl is really good this month. As ever Rufus' art is sublime but the script is really interesting here too, looking forward to seeing where this goes...

Arthur Wyatt turns out yet another quality script in Black Museum and PJ's art is fantastic! I'm loving the splashes that Arthur is writing into these scripts, it's like going back in time! Paul's colouring on this strip is mental - it's black and white with a green so horrible that it shouldn't work but somehow does! Love it!

The Amperduke tale is lovely but gut wrenchingly sad. I love the world that Byrne has created here, it's so cute but so nasty too.

Finally, quite a rushed ending to Bato Loco which is a real shame 'cos a) it's great to have Grennie back in the Meg, b) I adore Andrew Currie's boobietastic art (like a cross between Mad Magazine and Eric Powell, if ye ask me) and c) I love the character. It all seemed a bit rushed and convenient, I thought Gordon would have spiralled the scenario much more out of control before ending it. Ah well, next time I hope!

For me, a cracking Meg this month.

Proudhuff

prog and a meg on a Friday yeeeeeeha!

Well done those droids and the noble posties

I healthy handful of Meg this month, seems more pages that normal.

A great Dredd, only gripe that Rico and Dredd look too alike: after all Dredd has had a hard life and his face should show it, Rico on the other hand has a handsome plastic chin.
We don't see the names badges until way into the story and even then JD's is indistinct, hopefully that grave yard on the way out of towmn is the town's old one and not the result of four people and a baby's two days of hard graft  ;D   

Tankie , Black Muse and Bato all good reads but the suprise for me was the Bob Byrne Amperduke, I realluy really warmed to this. And I have to say the New Movies slot has earned its place in the Meg for being interesting and informative about the films reviewed.

Cannon fodder is currently on the bedside pile awaiting a night I'm not up to Menkell. 
DDT did a job on me

I, Cosh

Only one envelope for me today. Luckily, it was the Prog so all is good with the world.
We never really die.

radiator

Is it just me, or does the overall quality of the Megazine seem to be better when Dredd is on the cover?

Trout

Hey, great Dredd! Twisty and turny, with all sorts of action and intrigue. That's the stuff.

Conversely, I hated Mr Amperduke. The art's nice, but I don't see how it can be considered a story. [spoiler]He accidentally creates a child, and the child dies. [/spoiler] That's not a proper narrative. That's just a horrible, sad tragedy and I don't understand why it's in the comic. What's the point?

I also enjoyed Bato Loco and it was great to see Sentenoids again. I love every Tank Girl strip without reservation, but all the war stuff this month made it a special treat.

- Trout (still buying the Meg)