Main Menu

Breathing Space... is it just me

Started by Colin YNWA, 13 July, 2010, 09:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

I should preface this by saying I don't think this will convince people one way or another but hey that'll not stop me.

As for the punctured space suit, pressurer suit whatever, I'm a big fan of letting this stuff slide and putting it down to - oh you know sci-fi stuff. So for example in this case given the suit is worn by a Judge and they have a pretty high risk job they could very well be self sealing. So the bullet passes through makes a hole and some blood escapes from the wound. In passing through the suit it punctures a lining of sealed bags containing some sealent, riot foam, type stuff that fixes the hole and the suits air supply or whatever repressurises the suit. Ya man is still clutching his stomach as he's got a bloody great hole in him even if its now behind a re-sealed hole.

That kinda thing. Now I'm certain smarter people than me, or even I could pick that apart in seconds flat if I put any thought into it but I'd much rather go la la lar ignore it and move on and enjoy the story (or not). Oh its probably just sci-fi stuff. A great way to ignore otherwise annoying mistakes.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 16 July, 2010, 08:41:10 AM

As for the punctured space suit, pressurer suit whatever, I'm a big fan of letting this stuff slide and putting it down to - oh you know sci-fi stuff. So for example in this case given the suit is worn by a Judge and they have a pretty high risk job they could very well be self sealing. So the bullet passes through makes a hole and some blood escapes from the wound. In passing through the suit it punctures a lining of sealed bags containing some sealent, riot foam, type stuff that fixes the hole and the suits air supply or whatever repressurises the suit. Ya man is still clutching his stomach as he's got a bloody great hole in him even if its now behind a re-sealed hole.

That works for me!!
DDT did a job on me

House of Usher

I like the self-sealing pressure suit idea. That's very neat. But you got me thinking about the complexities of it. What does the sealant solidify upon contact with? Not air, obviously.

I went back for a proper re-read last night and this morning. The Earth seems to rise a couple or three times in four days, which is too often.

Taken in a single read it all sort of makes sense if you concentrate, but there are too many little bits of plot to remember from one week to the next if you're reading it in serial instalments.
STRIKE !!!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: House of Usher on 16 July, 2010, 12:48:03 PM
I like the self-sealing pressure suit idea. That's very neat. But you got me thinking about the complexities of it. What does the sealant solidify upon contact with? Not air, obviously.

Don't worry about its just... ya know... sci-fi stuff.

See all better!

I, Cosh

Air makes perfect sense, as air will be rushing out of the suit through the hole you want to seal.
We never really die.

House of Usher

Quote from: The Cosh on 24 July, 2010, 05:17:01 PM
Air makes perfect sense, as air will be rushing out of the suit through the hole you want to seal.

Give the man a coconut!
STRIKE !!!

Jim_Campbell

No. Sorry. You blow the basic concept of a vacuum in a science fiction strip and then expect me to infer a magically self-sealing suit? Rob has gone on to write some really good stuff, but this isn't one of those things.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jared Katooie

Perhaps the moon has a thin atmosphere created by terraforming. This would explain why the astronaut wasn't killed instantly, but needed the space suit to breath.

Of course this raises many more questions, and Breathing Space wasn't very good, so maybe it's not worth it.

House of Usher

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 24 July, 2010, 08:38:58 PM
No. Sorry. You blow the basic concept of a vacuum in a science fiction strip and then expect me to infer a magically self-sealing suit? Rob has gone on to write some really good stuff, but this isn't one of those things.

Well, no: a self-sealing vacuum suit alone doesn't save Breathing Space.

Quote from: Jared Katooie on 24 July, 2010, 08:58:14 PM
Perhaps the moon has a thin atmosphere created by terraforming. This would explain why the astronaut wasn't killed instantly, but needed the space suit to breath.

Of course this raises many more questions, and Breathing Space wasn't very good, so maybe it's not worth it.

Terraforming stretches credulity even further than the self-sealing suit. Not only is it not referred to in the story, but it would undermine the premise of the cut-throat oxygen supply business and the motive for the murders.

'Astronaut': that's brilliant!  :lol: I can tell you were paying close attention.
STRIKE !!!

Jared Katooie

Well he kind of an astronaut, even if he's really a judge and he - oh, who cares.

Still though, I seem to remember Dredd being stranded in the oxygen desert all those years ago. He wasn't even wearing a spacesuit!

Emperor

Quote from: The Cosh on 24 July, 2010, 05:17:01 PM

Except... things don't have to be so fancy.

He wasn't shot in a vacuum, the encounter took place inside the dome while he was wearing the spacesuit - he then staggers into the airlock and across the lunar surface to the graveyard. So all he'd need to do is grab a tube of suit sealant, squirt it on the hole and then start the airlock's depressurisation.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Judge Olde

I liked it, maybe it was the art I liked more. I'm just pleased he wasn't shot in hoover/dyson  ;)

Nit pickers  ::)

Muties & Aliens are ok?  :P