Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

I, Cosh

We never really die.

Hawkmumbler

Definitely one of those rose tinted case where the glasses are beginning to drop. I remember 10 years ago you would be driven out of town for daring to say any Donner movie was a bit rubbish.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 10 July, 2021, 11:19:05 AM
Definitely one of those rose tinted case where the glasses are beginning to drop. I remember 10 years ago you would be driven out of town for daring to say any Donner movie was a bit rubbish.
I think with Goonies you needed to see it as a kid. I didn't.
We never really die.

pictsy

Quote from: I, Cosh on 10 July, 2021, 01:46:49 PM
I think with Goonies you needed to see it as a kid. I didn't.

I did.  When I revisited it wasn't quite what I remembered.  I still found it enjoyable, but in a weird and deflated way.  It doesn't live up to the hype that has been created around it by nostalgia, that's for sure.

Daveycandlish

It's a bit... shouty. All those kids spend 90 minutes going "Aaaaaaah!"
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

The Goonies is one of those films that people never believe you when you've said you've never seen it. Especially if you're a certain age.

I've never seen it. And now it's a matter of some personal.pride that I've never seen it, and so I am never likely to see it. I remember the ads back in the day, on the back of comics- and my reaction then was "that looks rubbish", so I didn't go. Never rented it on VHS, have never watched it on telly. When did it come out? Was there something released at around the same time that would have turned a kid who was up for all those 80s fantasy things, into someone who had quite a different taste and knew that The Goonies would be awful? Or did I just rent The Thing before it's UK release and after that, everything changed? Dunno.

SBT

broodblik

Watched Black Widow and I enjoyed it. It was much better than the last few Marvel movies. The great thing was that Tony Stark was only mentioned and never seen.  As with all these movies it is heavy infested with action scenes and over the top sequences. A big plus point for me was that even with some illogical moments the characters where quite interesting.

Hopefully Marvel will rather focus on character driven movies going forward and not try to recreate this 50 movie event stuff leading into one messy illogical stupid ending.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Hawkmumbler

In contrast I watched Black Widow and in spite of hysterical moment where Florence Pugh gets yanked backwards by a very visible wire after some laughable monosyllabic exchanges with Johansson, found it thuddingly dull and wearysome. Disney Par Excellence.

Colin YNWA

Watched the original Assault on Precinct 13 last night and... well it was a little disappointing, I remember it being  clustrophobic and having a tension that built and built... in reality its all rather... thin...Its a decent movie, with some good characters, though a couple are weakened with some slightly lumpy acting. It doesn't have the elements I remember. The tension flairs on occasion, doesn't build and grind you down. Its lighter than I remember, in terms of the fact I remember it being dark as the power is cut and the events take place at night. I remember greater tension between the police and the prisoners, but they get on fine. I remember folks being slowly cut down and the valiant resistance is worn down. I remember the final stand off being nerve racking... itsa kinda okay and a bit silly actually.

The one bit that is almost as I remember gang members being feral creatures, almost unseen. A dark hidden threat with a singular mindless purpose. It gets close to that. Close.

I might watch the remake if its available as maybe some of the elements are from the bits of that I've seen, I've not watched it all I don't think.

Over all the movie is very of its time and doesn't hold up the way I remember it which is a shame.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 11 July, 2021, 05:41:34 PM
Disney Par Excellence.

Maybe just don't watch the movies, then...? No one is forcing you to...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Woolly

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 July, 2021, 06:23:23 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 11 July, 2021, 05:41:34 PM
Disney Par Excellence.

Maybe just don't watch the movies, then...? No one is forcing you to...

^This^

Same goes for the Goonies - so many posts from people who haven't seen the film, yet still feel they can slag it off!
Do I love The Goonies because I was a kid when I first saw it? Yes, probably. What's wrong with that?

broodblik

I enjoyed the Goonies when I was a kid. I can not tell how well it aged since I have not seen it since 85
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

pictsy

I'm forcing Hawkmumbler to watch the latest Marvel films, just so I don't feel the need to.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: pictsy on 11 July, 2021, 09:12:46 PM
I'm forcing Hawkmumbler to watch the latest Marvel films, just so I don't feel the need to.

Indeed, he is consuming mediocre cinema to protect the rest of us. He our cin eater.
You may quote me on that.