Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalHab

Quote from: pictsy on 22 September, 2021, 02:49:13 PM
I never especially liked his Batman films from the outset.  I can't take Batman as seriously as the films wanted me to - the concept of the character is too silly for me.  That might be why I like the Lego Batman movie and Batman Returns as much as I do.

Lego Batman and 1989 Batman are high water marks for the Caped Crusader on screen, and both embrace the absurdity.

pictsy

Quote from: CalHab on 22 September, 2021, 03:06:18 PM
Lego Batman and 1989 Batman are high water marks for the Caped Crusader on screen, and both embrace the absurdity.

I think Batman and Robin goes too far in the other direction, however.  I couldn't even manage to get all the way through watching that film.

I appreciate the '89 Batman is probably the better of the Burton films, but there's something about Returns I just enjoy that little bit more.

milstar

Quote from: wedgeski on 22 September, 2021, 02:01:10 PM
Dunkirk. Finally got around to this admirable piece, but came away dissatisfied as I have with all Nolan films since Dark Knight Rises. The time shifting felt like a piece of gaffer tape rather than a legitimate part of the vision, and while the film had amazing tension in fits and starts, none of it travelled all the way from the opening scenes to the end. I recognise the cinematic value of vignette storytelling, but the unfortunate structure just diluted everything into sludge. One of the great things about Nolan's work is that you can marvel at the imagery and there's always the possibility it was created in camera, but apart from one stand-out shot at the beginning, I never, ever believed there were 300,00 troops on those beaches, which lent the whole thing a boutique scale at odds with the record. Plenty to admire, but more like a newsreel cut into something resembling a narrative. This may have been the director's intention, but I didn't get on with it.

I love Dunkirk, I find it the best war movie in recent years, but one thing bugs me about the movie, is personal vs epic scope, which doesn't seem in agreement with each other. But it's clear that Chris was passionate about this subject and wanted to do the jsutice to all soldiers who evacuated from Dunkirk. And he did. Perhaps I'd even say that time shift wasn't necessary, but at least who you look the whole picture, those transitions have some sense, in cinematic terms. I mean, this isn't just a documentary. And gotta admire no-CGI approach, so common in today's cinema.

His Batman movies? Nah. They are very well crafted, but 1989 Batman is one and only. And Inception is a blast!
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Tiplodocus

I don't think it's a "no CGI" approach. There's lots of CGI but it's not normally to the primary way he does an effect. The CGI supports the practical stuff. Same as with Fury Road.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Batman: The Movie from 1966 is the supreme Batman movie. It's the only one with Shark-Repellent Bat Spray and has the most thrilling bomb disposal scene ever committed to film.
You may quote me on that.

Hawkmumbler

I will not tolerate Batman and Robin slander, embrace the high camp. Joel Schumacher gang rise up.

pictsy

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 22 September, 2021, 09:08:00 PM
I will not tolerate Batman and Robin slander, embrace the high camp. Joel Schumacher gang rise up.

If you want to give props to Schumacher why not go for Forever?  After all, it's Jim Carrey's best movie.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: pictsy on 22 September, 2021, 09:39:21 PM
If you want to give props to Schumacher why not go for Forever?  After all, it's Jim Carrey's best movie.

No idea if the film holds up now, but I remember seeing it for the first time on a VHS rental and actually watching it again the following morning before I had to take it back to the store. My overwhelming recollection is that it was stupid, but also tremendous fun.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Funt Solo

I loved Batman in '89 (Skegness cinema, above the arcade), but the Prince* soundtrack and not-quite The Killing Joke plotting are marks against. Batman Returns wins because of the milk & the penguins.

Probably the best thing about the Batman movies is this: "LIFE'S TOO SHORT" - Val Kilmer as "Batman"

*Love a lot of Prince's music but when you experiment that much, some of it's going to be shite.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

pictsy

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 September, 2021, 10:17:54 PM
No idea if the film holds up now, but I remember seeing it for the first time on a VHS rental and actually watching it again the following morning before I had to take it back to the store. My overwhelming recollection is that it was stupid, but also tremendous fun.

It is the only Batman film I've seen at the cinema.  I like the "Holey Rusted Metal, Batman" joke.  Best part of the film.  Makes me smile every single time.

Otherwise, it's an utter mess of a film.  Last time I watched it I was surprised at how erratic it actually is.  Nevertheless, I'd say stupid and fun is not an unfair assessment.  It's got Drew Barrymore in it.  I always find that weird.

sheridan

Quote from: pictsy on 19 September, 2021, 04:52:55 PM
Brassed Off

"...I thought it mattered. I thought that music mattered. But does it bollocks! Not compared to how people matter."

So that's where that quote comes from!  I only know it from the Chumbawamba song.

milstar

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 22 September, 2021, 08:32:55 PM
I don't think it's a "no CGI" approach. There's lots of CGI but it's not normally to the primary way he does an effect. The CGI supports the practical stuff. Same as with Fury Road.

I was surprised at how much in Inception is real stuff, no computer enhancing. I think Nolan took the same approach with the movie. Real soldiers, real boats and real planes. And real bombings. Some of it was patched up with CGI in post-production, but still.

Quote from: Funt Solo on 22 September, 2021, 10:40:03 PM
I loved Batman in '89 (Skegness cinema, above the arcade), but the Prince* soundtrack and not-quite The Killing Joke plotting are marks against. Batman Returns wins because of the milk & the penguins.

Well, they adapted the comic for a portion of the film.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

pictsy

Quote from: sheridan on 22 September, 2021, 11:04:57 PM
Quote from: pictsy on 19 September, 2021, 04:52:55 PM
Brassed Off
"...I thought it mattered. I thought that music mattered. But does it bollocks! Not compared to how people matter."
So that's where that quote comes from!  I only know it from the Chumbawamba song.

I only quoted it because of the Chumbawamba song.  I wasn't expecting it to pay off.  I'm glad it did :D

sheridan

Re: best Jim Carrey film.  The answer is obviously Earth Girls are Easy.  Which admittedly I haven't seen for a quarter of a century and probably isn't that good.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Funt Solo on 22 September, 2021, 10:40:03 PM

Danny DeVito as Penguin in Batman Returns is my favourite portrayal of the character. Burgess Meredith's turn has it's charms. The Penguin should affect a sophisticated and urbane air. DeVito pulls that off while being grotesque and macabre and just villainous.

But Pfeiffer is no Merriwether, so Batman: The Movie is still the best.
You may quote me on that.