Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emp

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 11 July, 2011, 02:49:22 AM
SAW 3D, please dear God let this be the last one! Obviously the death scenes are quite elaborate but the story just winds me right up but then again the deaths just draw me in, like a moth to a flame  :-[

Story...that end about 3 films ago this is the epitomy of milking something!

Orlok

Fast and Furious
Number 4 in the series, though I had only seen the very first one before watching it. I thought the first one had an advantage over this one due to factors of a story, less ridiculous stunts and originality.
And number four? I lasted about 30 minutes into this garbage before I binned it. The opening stunt of Vin Diesel driving under a poorly cgi'ed flaming fuel tanker as it rolled down a hill was preposterous enough but the next scene opened with the obligatory post sticking-it-to-the-man party with the supercars fanned out like a hand of cards as bevvies of scantily clad eye candy gyrated to the music being pumped out. You know, because it is really like that.
And then the film started to get really stupid. I just hated it so much my eyes began to bleed.
I can see why these films are popular amongst a certain breed of people (chav vermin mainly), but having seen real street racing first hand I can attest that none of the competitors looked like Vin and co but instead looked like rat boys and gang bangers. The obligatory arm candy looked less like high street honeys and more like back street crack whores.
They should screen this film in high schools and if the viewers actually enjoy it, they should report for immediate sterilisation.
Avoid this film at all costs.

The Blind Side
Being a committed misanthrope I'm not a fan of heart warming dramas so approached this with a sense of dread. The fact that it was about sport was also not drawing me in as I can't abide watching it. On the way back from the USA I was once subjected to a film called Rudy starring the Fat Hobbit and it was an absolutely pointless tale about a midget wanting to play football and gloriously making one memorable tackle as his team still lost.
However, The Blind Side was excellent. Well acted (a deserved Oscar for Bullock there) and with just the right amount of "action" to keep the story ticking over smoothly. It was a very uplifting story.
I felt they could have gone more into the investigation carried out after Oher's appointment to Ole Miss, but apart from that it hit the mark with the right balance of drama, humour and message.
The pictures at the end also show what a man mountain Michael Oher is in real life. There is no way he could get into Mister Frodo without serious rectal trauma.

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 11 July, 2011, 10:38:23 PM
I remeber enjoying Chicago more than I thought I would but that's about it.  I don't recall Warren Beatty being in it at all.

That's because, my wife tells me, it's Richard Gere! D'Oh! In my defense, I really don't care one way or the other and doubt I'd pick either of those gentlemen out of a police line-up.

SBT

Robin Low

Netherbeast Incorporated. Recorded this on the Horror channel at the weekend and watched it last night. An entertaining little vampire movie with quite a nice set up. Worth watching for the discussions of the general failings of scrotal engineering and the merits of the Tortoise and the Hare as an analogy, and the ventriloquist thing.

Regards

Robin

Noisybast

Saw Rango the other night. Thoroughly enjoyable. Folowed it up with the first episode of Deadwood. I now have an odd compulsion to play some more Red Dead Redemption...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

I, Cosh

Universal Soldier: Regeneration. A surprisingly good DTV/Channel 5 addition to the franchise. I'd heard a lot of good things about this and it really is head and shoulders above the standard for this sort of fare. Both Dolph and van Damme are back for this one. Dolph's role is the smaller of the two but, like The Expendables, he really steals the show with the unhinged oddness of his character. Unlike The Expendables, the fight scenes are largely filmed in that unpopular style where you can see what's going and whose hitting who. This is a good thing.

The opening scene is gripping and well-staged, belying the B-movie budget. With just a little more cash to paper over some of the failings of the production, this would be a very good action movie. As it is, it's well worth catching when it's next on ITV4.
We never really die.

Orlok

At the risk of spoilers, wasn't Dolph's character put through a wood chipper at the end of number one? That is a pretty good comeback...

Matt Timson

Pffft...

radiator

That could make quite a good thread topic - characters in movies who inexplicably return for the sequel despite being very clearly killed off.

JOE SOAP

or Harry Callaghan now a cop again in Magnum Force after quitting at the end of Dity Harry.

I, Cosh

Good point chaps. Luckily, the basic premise of Universal Soldier involved experimenting on men who'd already died in combat, with Jean-Claude's character troubled by memories of his old life. The new one adds a side order of genetic manipulation to this, so it's not much of a stretch to come up with a plausible-ish explanation.
We never really die.

Colin Zeal

Quote from: radiator on 13 July, 2011, 01:07:30 PM
That could make quite a good thread topic - characters in movies who inexplicably return for the sequel despite being very clearly killed off.

Whistler in Blade 2. I don't think you see his body in the first film but the clear assumption is that he's been killed yet he turns up in the sequal.

Orlok

Quote from: Matt Timson on 13 July, 2011, 12:46:09 PM
Impaled, I believe.

True, but then he was put through the wood chipper and spread over a wide area. I do recall the movie skirt asking where Dolph was only to be told by JCVD (very Arnie like) that he was "around".

That cracks up the clean up squad at CSI every time.

TordelBack

Quote from: Orlok on 14 July, 2011, 07:32:00 AM
True, but then he was put through the wood chipper and spread over a wide area.

I'm sure the Eye of Zoltec could sort that out in a jiffy.

bluemeanie

Conan O'Brien : Cant stop

Kinda surprised he let it go out as he comes across as a bit of a dick in a lot of it. Like theres a scene with him meeting the family of one of his backing singers and being all friendly that goes straight to him afterwards bitching about it.  Did prompt me to go online and buy the book about the story behind the whole O'Brien / Leno thing