Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

Perhaps this will help Hawkmonger. Check out these amazing custom Blade Runner action figs.

http://laughingsquid.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/geek-blade-runner.jpg

Recrewt

Quote from: sauchie on 25 September, 2013, 04:16:36 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 25 September, 2013, 03:49:51 PM
Feels awkward because, despite all the shit Hawkmonger HAS watched, he has never seen Blade Runner

BBC Four, 10:00 PM, Thursday 26th September 2013

I suspect it hasn't aged well. One scene in particular, where Indiana Jones does a bit of Roffman-style photographic enhancement to discover a lead, was really impressive at the time but will probably pass without remark from anyone born after 1990.

There isn't much too much narrative or characterisation, and the concentration on atmospherics means it moves at a glacial pace. The meat of the film really is all the metaphysical bollocks reproduced above. I suggest watching the second Matrix film directly before Blade Runner - it'll feel like a pacey model of cogent diagesis by comparison.

Yeah, I have to say that one of the things that keeps this off my top-ten list of films is the painfully slow sections within the film.  I have probably only watched it a few times in full, but countless times watched it in part and then abandoned it!

shaolin_monkey

So, anyone seen any good films lately?

Professor Bear

Saw Gone With The Wind for the first time.  It was mostly shite, though some of the production is still really impressive even now.  The Gettysburg casualty list scene is amazing, but the film as a whole suffers for being... well, let us be charitable and say "nonjudgmental" about slavery apart from some arch comments from hedonist-ahead-of-his-time Rhett Butler, an unfairly-maligned screen character whose disdain for hypocrisy occasionally reaches self-destructive levels but is nonetheless endearing because it's directed at a bunch of assholes who've built their lives on the backs of humans in shackles.  There's a statement to the effect that the film is a glance into "the last gasp of the age of chivalry," but I see little evidence of that, it's mostly about a spoilt white bitch who could do with working for a living for a few years and maybe learning some manners.

Frank

The incredible production design aside, I enjoyed Gone With The Wind for the same reason I like reading Dredd. It was one of the first films I can remember watching where the main character was obviously a bad person who did the wrong things for the wrong reasons and got away with it - and you're allowed to enjoy that.

Goaty

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 25 September, 2013, 06:19:10 PM
So, anyone seen any good films lately?

Don't know as been on holidays for last two days, no tv, but for no reasons I got first DVD series of Breaking Bad, only in 3rd episode now, wow!!! That bath scene!!

willthemightyW

Seven Psychopaths

Loved it, enjoyed it a lot more on my second viewing, the first time I found it hard to get into, as the first section seemed kinda formless to me, but I loved all of it on my second viewing. By the director of In Bruges, not as good, but it's an easier watch because it's not quite as morbid.

Will
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

shaolin_monkey

I saw Rush this evening. It's definitely a cinema film - all loud roaring, crowd noise, spectacle etc.  Very entertaining, but not particularly deep. I liked the guy who portrayed Nikki Lauder. I actually found him much more engaging than the guy who played James Hunt.

Bear in mind I have a near pathological hatred for cars, and know nothing about Formula One, yet I still managed to enjoy it.

von Boom

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 26 September, 2013, 09:14:37 PM
I saw Rush this evening. It's definitely a cinema film - all loud roaring, crowd noise, spectacle etc.  Very entertaining, but not particularly deep. I liked the guy who portrayed Nikki Lauder. I actually found him much more engaging than the guy who played James Hunt.

Bear in mind I have a near pathological hatred for cars, and know nothing about Formula One, yet I still managed to enjoy it.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I'm planning on seeing it over the weekend. I'm not a huge F1 fan, but I used to watch it with my dad.

JudgeE1M1RT

Well, Blade Runner (the Final Cut, although the info screen on Sky said it was the directors cut) was just shown on BBC Four so I watched it again. Strangely enough, I don't think there was any ad breaks during the broadcast, can anyone confirm this?

Frank

Quote from: JudgeE1M1RT on 27 September, 2013, 12:33:33 AM
Well, Blade Runner (the Final Cut, although the info screen on Sky said it was the directors cut) was just shown on BBC Four so I watched it again. Strangely enough, I don't think there was any ad breaks during the broadcast, can anyone confirm this?

The BBC is a publicly funded broadcaster and the terms of its charter preclude the use of advertising or product endorsement.

Theblazeuk

No BBC channels have adverts, other than promotions for their own programming. And none of those interrupt programmes. Most noticeable when watching American shows like Buffy and you wonder why things keep cutting to black every 10 minutes.

Blows the minds of all the foreign types I associate with here in that London (very few from the brit cits in my social circles these days) yet something we take for granted. Ye not kenned this afore M1rt?

For meself I've been watching a couple of Wes Anderson movies at the behest of the miss. Bottle Rocket was ok, nice to see the Wilson boys so young, though ultimately a bit twee and detached for my tastes. Rushmore was better, lead characters still complete misfits that are utterly unrealistic in their place within the world and their relationships, yet sit much better within their context than the loonies of Bottle Rocket. Plus it had Bill Murray, and inspired a rewatch of Zombieland immediately afterwards for that very reason, so alls well that ends well. I still suspect Fantastic Mr Fox will be my favourite, as though it is mainly riding on Dahls tailcoats the neurotic introversion of Anderson's version sits comfortably well within my favourite Dahl book.

Not seeing the depth my wife puts in these movies though, they are quirky aye but deep...not so much.

pictsy

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 27 September, 2013, 10:12:40 AM
I still suspect Fantastic Mr Fox will be my favourite, as though it is mainly riding on Dahls tailcoats the neurotic introversion of Anderson's version sits comfortably well within my favourite Dahl book.

Not seeing the depth my wife puts in these movies though, they are quirky aye but deep...not so much.

Don't expect a Roald Dahl film.  IMO Fantastic Mr Fox would have been better served with a different title and a disassociation from the book.  That's not the only problem with the film.

I liked Rushmore and Tenenbaums when I saw them.  Life Aquatic, however, was a bore fest and is one of the few films I've not watched to the end because it was sooooo dull.  Mr Fox just felt like my inner child was being spat on all the way through.

radiator

Seems a bit odd to criticise a Wes Anderson film for not being 'realistic'... Not sure he's aiming for realism.

Personally I'm not too keen on Bottle Rocket, really disliked The Darjeeling Limited and was lukewarm on The Life Aquatic, but I've loved pretty much everything else he's done. His style isn't for everyone, sure, but he's a shining light of individuality in an often bland film landscape. It's reassuring to me that a film like Moonrise Kingdom can make $80m at the box office.

Personally I loved what he did with Fantastic Mr Fox. It's a very slight book after all - a literal adaptation would have been about 20mins long. It's definitely one of the stronger Dahl adaptations, certainly better than the likes of the wretched Danny Devito Matilda movie or Tim Burton's ghastly Willy Wonka remake.

Theblazeuk

Not so much about being realistic as basic plausibility. Oh and I've already seen Mr Fox and quite liked it, mainly because its not a straight adaptation.