Main Menu

The language of Dredd

Started by Stu101, 11 February, 2011, 02:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Stacey

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 15 February, 2011, 11:35:34 AM
Reading the floppy john higgins collection this morning, while in the loo, and horrified to see that a tiny 'shit' was lurking in its pages. Inthe first story, about the breakdown of judge white. It stuck out like a stommy willy at a drokk party.
SBT

My Dokk! no ?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: radiator on 13 February, 2011, 12:50:38 PM
I think for me it's not catchphrases or made up swear words that are important to the essence of Dredd - it'll be the mannerisms and attitude that sell it for me - that sort of gruff, sneering, impatient demeanor.

I've never seen Dredd as 'sneering' or 'impatient' - he's simply a man of few words. Terse, gruff, maybe a bit clipped. It's one of the things that makes me cringe a bit in Dredd scripts by Ewing, Spurrier, Rennie, etc, where Dredd's constantly snapping at other judges to 'shut up', making him seem terribly petty; Wagner Dredd, in the same position, would simply growl something like 'That'll do,' or deliver one of his deadpan witticisms.**

**One of my fave examples is at the end of Mandroid - Tek Judge Wilson holds up one of Nate's severed robotic limbs, and grins 'Now he's armless.' Dredd rumbles with dissaproval from the background 'We don't need that sort of humour, Wilson.'
@jamesfeistdraws

radiator

QuoteI've never seen Dredd as 'sneering' or 'impatient'

We frequently see Dredd bristling with impatience as he is forced to converse with everyday Mega-Citizens (just think of how he communicates with Walter and Mrs Gunderson) and Justice Department pen-pushers, and we see him regularly shirking paperwork and the like. We've also seen him attempting to deal with downtime, but he's always impatient to get back to the streets.

As for sneering - perhaps that's not the exact right word - but I was thinking in particular of how we'll see him interacting with Anderson in the film - [spoiler]he makes it quite clear from the off that he isn't impressed with her and makes a dismissive comment early on about her being a 'mutant' - I think Wagner described Urban as having a 'scowl' that Carlos could have drawn.[/spoiler]

muti-scum

'DROKK'S great and all but arnt we forgetting the ultimate 2000ad swear word 'FUNT' i rest my case. :lol:

Woolly

Not a fan of swearing in the prog in general, but 'F.B.I.' in Button Man 3 was pretty cool!

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Lee Bates on 11 February, 2011, 02:57:42 PM
I don't think there's any Dredd swearing in the script, lots of effing and jeffing though.

If that's the case then they so should have cast Windsor Davies in place of Karl Urban.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"