Main Menu

Dredd 2012 replica costume build

Started by Judge Palmer, 09 September, 2011, 11:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judge Palmer

Hello fellow thrill power seekers, this new post will follow my build of a replica costume based on the upcoming Dredd movie in September 2012. I will post pics of work in progress items as well as finished pieces too.

I currently have finished the badge:

and have work in progress pics of the helmet, enjoy  :)

Creep broke the rules, he's doing time!

SKD

Looking good Judge Palmer, looking good. :thumbsup: I look forward to seeing how this project progresses.

Stew.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Is it Fibre glass or some secret concotion your using Judge Palmer? Looks like the helmet drawn by Ian Gibson and very convincing too even in this unfinished state!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

James Stacey

Is no one else more concerned that Judge Palmer still appears to use audio cassettes

Goaty

Quote from: James Stacey on 09 September, 2011, 02:15:46 PM
Is no one else more concerned that Judge Palmer still appears to use audio cassettes

:o :o :o :o

JOE SOAP

It's probably a Huey Lewis or Phil Collins mix-tape.

Judge Palmer

Thanks for your nice comments guys!

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 09 September, 2011, 02:01:14 PM
Is it Fibre glass or some secret concotion your using Judge Palmer? Looks like the helmet drawn by Ian Gibson and very convincing too even in this unfinished state!

IAMTHESYSTEM: I'm using Jesmonite resin, it's water based (no nasty smells/brushes rinse out easily) and when cured is hard and strong. You can use fibreglass matting in conjunction with it also to give it added strength. I'm going to craft the helmet badge/respirator over the weekend then once it's all sanded smooth i'll take a mold using silicone then cast the finished piece from that. Fingers crossed it wont need anymore sanding so I can get it painted up although i'm undecided at the mo whether to give the helmet a worn and weathered look as it is in the movie pics released thus far.

At James: Lol, I didn't realise I had the cassette box in the background, my mother in law's partner sent me a rock compilation recently (he is in his 70's and listens to Radio Caroline) as a thank you for locating an old 1957 black and white movie on dvd (A Strangers Meeting) which features his grandfather in a small cameo part. He has no problem operating a dvd player but can't use a mobile and prefer's to listen to music on the radio and record it on to cassette, luckily I have an old stero with a cassette player attached so was able to listen to it. Certainly was weird playing a cassette again as the last tape I played was at least 20+ years ago.

At Joe: Whats wrong with Huey Lewis and Phil Collins lol, thinking of that reminds me of the movie American Psycho with Christian Bale in a rain mac going crazy with an axe :)

James Stacey

Good save :) and good work on the lid. It's looking good.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Judge Palmer on 09 September, 2011, 04:01:07 PMAt Joe: Whats wrong with Huey Lewis and Phil Collins lol, thinking of that reminds me of the movie American Psycho with Christian Bale in a rain mac going crazy with an axe :)

I thought so too.

COMMANDO FORCES

Simon, what is the helmets base as the colour looks familiar!

Will you be doing a blog, as was mentioned before the great week of post removal.

Michaelvk

That's not bad at all.. There's something about the lid that's almost there, but not quite (WIP.. I know..). I can't remember off hand if the top of the visor was that curved.. I'd have to check my piccies. It's been a while y'see..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

JOE SOAP

Michaelvk

You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Judge Palmer

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 09 September, 2011, 07:20:29 PM
Simon, what is the helmets base as the colour looks familiar!

Will you be doing a blog, as was mentioned before the great week of post removal.

The helmet is part of a Iron Man mask/helmet I picked on ebay and have used before as a base for my last helmet. I really need to take a mold of the helmet as it is at some stage so when I make a cast of it I have something to work from when making future helmets. The front of the mask just clips on so is easy to remove, I then take the ear pieces off and trim the pieces hanging down on either side of the helmet. The ear holes need to be filled in then sanded smooth to line up with the helmet itself. I've included a pic of how the entire helmet looks and a pic of when I started and finished my stallone hero helmet to give you an idea what goes into it. I will probably set up a blog sometime in the week  :)
I have tried sculpting a helmet using Klean Klay but it's bloody difficult getting equal curves either side of the helmet, more practice is needed me thinks  :)

Thanks for your comments Michaelvk, from a man that's seen the helmets as well as worked on them it's a positive boost receiving your input :) Sent you a PM.

Michaelvk

If I recall correctly, I think the rear of the helmet was more vertical than rounded.. Again, I'd have to check..