Main Menu

Dredd 2012 replica costume build

Started by Judge Palmer, 09 September, 2011, 11:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judge Palmer

Here are some pics of the finished helmet build with the visor temporarily fitted, a silicone mold will be taken from this then a finished resin cast produced. This may need a little more sanding and cleaning up then it's ready for painting, just need to find the right colours that were used for the movie helmets.  Enjoy the pics:)

Michaelvk could you help me out on what colours you used to paint up the helmets, thanks!

Creep broke the rules, he's doing time!

IAMTHESYSTEM

Arrest that Jimp!

Amazing work. You could be Karl Urbans stunt double.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

JOE SOAP

Mardroid

It really does.

I wish I knew how to do that sort of thing. (Moulds in general I mean. I'd like to know how to make weapon replicas etc, too although I'm not sure I'd have the patience. Or skill.)

esoteric ed

Steve Green

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 17 September, 2011, 12:57:34 PM
Arrest that Jimp!

Or stubble double.

Good start on the helmet!

The Sherman Kid

This is GREAT!! :thumbsup:Keep going.

SmallBlueThing

That's brilliant, and I love it and I want one. But- in that second picture, I really thought you'd gone completely mental and put a shark's fin on top of the helmet... until I realised it was your door frame. This in turn immediately put that song from the Deep Blue Sea soundtrack, "My head looks like a shark's fin" into my mind, and now I can't get rid, and I KNOW that tonight when herself goes to bed I will be watching that particular film- again. So thanks for that.

SBT

Glenn Broadway

Amazing work. I agree with another poster that it is probably a little more curvaceous at the very bottom/back, but it still looks great and above all practical! I was wondering if you were going to add the two ridges along the top and I see you have. When I saw these on the Empire pics it looked to me like they might line up with the edges beneath the visor and I wondered if they were going to make the whole top section slide down rather than just the badge. I'm still not sure if that's why they're there or if the ridges are just aesthetic.

Thanks for posting and I look forward to seeing more pics.

Judge Palmer

Quote from: esoteric ed on 17 September, 2011, 04:37:39 PM
Excellent work JP!  :)

Ed

Thanks for all your great comments, I started prop making in 2007 as i've always had an interest in movie costumes/props and how they are made. I taught myself how to make stuff by researching the internet, using the materials and using the old noggin. Having the time/funds and patience help of course when doing this sort of thing  :)

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 17 September, 2011, 08:57:36 PM
That's brilliant, and I love it and I want one. But- in that second picture, I really thought you'd gone completely mental and put a shark's fin on top of the helmet... until I realised it was your door frame. This in turn immediately put that song from the Deep Blue Sea soundtrack, "My head looks like a shark's fin" into my mind, and now I can't get rid, and I KNOW that tonight when herself goes to bed I will be watching that particular film- again. So thanks for that.

SBT

Lol, your welcome Steev!

Quote from: Steve Green on 17 September, 2011, 07:51:26 PM
Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 17 September, 2011, 12:57:34 PM
Arrest that Jimp!

Or stubble double.

Good start on the helmet!

I wouldn't mind being Karl Urbans stunt or stubble double  :)

Quote from: Glenn Broadway on 19 September, 2011, 11:37:14 AM
Amazing work. I agree with another poster that it is probably a little more curvaceous at the very bottom/back, but it still looks great and above all practical! I was wondering if you were going to add the two ridges along the top and I see you have. When I saw these on the Empire pics it looked to me like they might line up with the edges beneath the visor and I wondered if they were going to make the whole top section slide down rather than just the badge. I'm still not sure if that's why they're there or if the ridges are just aesthetic.

Thanks for posting and I look forward to seeing more pics.

It does indeed seem as if the two ridges one on each side were added later to give the impression that the whole section would slide down to be used as a respirator as it is in the comics. If you look at the pics of the original sculpt the ridges are not on there so I can only assume the prop guys added it on set/or before filming started after consultations with producers/designers etc.

As of today I have made a silicone mold (with support jacket) and am currently pouring/brushing resin into the mold in order to make another helmet. I'll paint it up and post some more pics up when i'm done. :)

Glenn Broadway

I came across this on Reddit. An amazing build of a Daft Punk Helmet. Thought it might be of interest:

http://youtu.be/DxjmQfeYztA

auxlen

Judge Palmer

Quote from: Glenn Broadway on 19 September, 2011, 03:41:21 PM
I came across this on Reddit. An amazing build of a Daft Punk Helmet. Thought it might be of interest:

http://youtu.be/DxjmQfeYztA

Thanks for the heads up on the clip, that Daft Punk Helmet was very, very cool! Given me some ideas for future products now  :)

Quote from: auxlen on 19 September, 2011, 05:35:15 PM
great work.

have you seen this also

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/959/

looks up your street.

Thanks for the link, a great site which has also given me more ideas for future projects!  :)

COMMANDO FORCES

Looking good there Judge Palmer, the stubble rounds it off nicely  ;)

Dr Feeley Good