Main Menu

If DREDD is a success

Started by Beeks, 12 July, 2012, 09:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweezil2

Quote from: Beeks on 13 July, 2012, 09:18:29 AM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 July, 2012, 07:57:58 AM
Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 12 July, 2012, 11:49:48 PM
Im trying to fix an actor for sam slade at the moment, but am having difficulty.

No contest: Nathan Fillion. He has the same sort avuncular charm that would have made James Garner the perfect choice thirty years ago...

Cheers

Jim

Like I've mentioned before..Ted Danson was always Slade for me..he's cracking on abit now though which is a shame

Always thought he was drawn a bit like Harry Dean Stanton but of course he's knocking on a bit too.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Danbo

Nathan Fillion would make a great Johnny Alpha, got the nose and the geek cred
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 July, 2012, 07:57:58 AMNo contest: Nathan Fillion. He has the same sort avuncular charm that would have made James Garner the perfect choice thirty years ago...

Good call, Jim.  And good to see you around these parts again.

The Prodigal

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 13 July, 2012, 01:00:52 AM
I imagine even a successful Dredd film will make little difference to 2000 AD. Bear in mind that blockbuster success stories barely impact on comic-book sales, so even a surprise hit in Dredd probably won't see 2000 AD's circulation soar. The prospect of more 2000 AD properties being optioned is perhaps more likely, although with most of them being unknown and a bit weird, they're more of a risk than Dredd (except, perhaps, Sláine, although that would have to fight comparisons with Conan).

This.

James Stacey

W. R. Logan

Quote from: James Stacey on 13 July, 2012, 10:14:01 AM
Tell that to Walking Dead

I love the walking Dead comics but after seeing all the issue 100 variant covers and the chromium cover for £7.50 I've lost some respect for it.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: PreacherCain on 13 July, 2012, 02:37:56 AMThat's true of superhero films but not comic book films in general. Scott Pilgrim, The Walking Dead, Ghost World, American Splendor, Road to Perdition, 30 Days of Night and a few others have all benefitted quite a bit from film/TV adaptations. V For Vendetta and Watchmen too.
Really? I was under the impression finite volumes benefitted from a short-term marketing-oriented sales burst, but that was it, and long-running series barely got tickled. The Hellboy movies were both pretty good, for example, but barely boosted Hellboy comic sales. Note that I'd love it of 2000 AD managed to get a few thousand extra subscribers out of the Dredd film, but I wonder how likely that is. Regarding Walking Dead, which two people have now mentioned, are there records online of bumps in sales?

James Stacey

I dunno if there is a bump in sales for WD but having only barely registered it before the tv series you see it on sale EVERYWHERE now. It's always on prominent display in Waterstones, HMV and WHSmiths

Steve Green

I could see a bump for the case files, but just not sure if the anthology format is too much of a speedbump for new readers with regards to long running series, and jumping on points.

A page that new readers could be directed to for recommended collections, and particularly the best order on the official site, rather than just threads wouldn't be a bad idea.

ming

I think that Dredd might bring more than a few 2000AD lapsed readers back into the fold, and trades and whatnot will surely get a bump on the back of all the buzz going around.  If nothing else, the film'll put 2000AD back on people's radars and hopefully lead a few curious souls, who don't just download everything, to seek out some of the source material.

James Stacey

as I said on the other thread I know of at least one person who has never read Dredd who has asked about and brought case files directly off the back of yesterdays positive buzz.

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 13 July, 2012, 10:40:47 AMRegarding Walking Dead, which two people have now mentioned, are there records online of bumps in sales?

Bleeding Cool has regular articles on sales figures, and every one shows The Walking Dead GNs ascending to dominance on the back of the TV series. 

Ready example, but there are plenty with actual figures if you dig:  http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/25/walking-dead-represents-half-of-diamond-bookstore-sales/ 

Given the simplicity of TWD as both a story and a publication, and the closeness of the series plot to the books, I wouldn't expect a similar overspill into the 35 years of Dredd bacl catalogue.  But here's hoping.

credo

For me the obvious 2000ad films are the ones based on more self contained stories, rather than the big, ongoing characters.

1. Flesh, Bk1 would make an amazing film, HBO TV series or computer game.
2. Shakara would make for a mental Sci-Fi film.
3. Cradlegrave could be a brilliant BBC horror.
4. Contradicting myself totally, Savage would be great as a high profile BBC show.
5. Killing Time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ming

Zombo. 

Apply the same glorious, over-the-top violent action approach that people seem to love about Dredd - it'd work for me, anyway.  Plenty of humour to balance the grisly action, and who wouldn't love Zombo in that codpiece?

Can I eat you please?

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: Beeks on 13 July, 2012, 09:18:29 AM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 July, 2012, 07:57:58 AM
Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 12 July, 2012, 11:49:48 PM
Im trying to fix an actor for sam slade at the moment, but am having difficulty.

No contest: Nathan Fillion. He has the same sort avuncular charm that would have made James Garner the perfect choice thirty years ago...

Cheers

Jim

Like I've mentioned before..Ted Danson was always Slade for me..he's cracking on abit now though which is a shame

Correct.

Ian Gibson might as well have been drawing him into the strip, they looked so similar. I think it was just a coincidence and being as I was way too young at the time to remember the correct Dates, but I'm sure Robo-Hunter predated Cheers by a couple of years.