Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Now in the final season (7) of West Wing and while sure its not been perfect, while sure its had its ups and down and yeah its a rose tinted view of the US of As. I accept it was never going to be The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, or The Wire BUT BUT BUT by God I'm going to miss it when its gone.

Absolutely brilliant telly and at its best right up there with the aforementioned triumvirate of telly quality.

radiator

Quote from: Satanist on 21 January, 2016, 01:46:33 PM
Quote from: radiator on 11 January, 2016, 01:25:48 AM
Netflix's controversial new series Making a Murderer.

I just finished this and really don't know what to think. I feel that the young guy Brendan was just a bit thick and that Avery would have to be a complete and utter nutcase to murder a random with millions of USD just a few months away. The docs obviously biased but the whole things just odd but then that's people for you.

The doc is really unbalanced, for instance choosing to [spoiler]leave out some incredibly damning trial evidence against Avery and glossing over a vague animal cruelty charge as some kind of innocent childhood jape (when in reality the sick fuck deliberately doused his pet cat in petrol and threw it in a bonfire).[/spoiler] When I read about it all I stopped watching the series to be honest - it felt like it was way too skewed.

My personal opinion on it was that [spoiler]Avery almost certainly did it, but the cops bent the rules to ensure a conviction - and I also believe that that kind of thing goes on all the time. Not because of some grand conspiracy (like the rather far-fetched picture the doc tries to paint), but because of an 'ends justify the means' kind of attitude.[/spoiler] And yeah, maybe that does need a little light shone on it (and obviously even the guilty deserve a fair trial), but don't try to muddy the waters by making out like its a tale of a noble man wrongfully convicted.

Colin YNWA

Well just seen it (the last of The West Wing) and damn that's some fine, fine telly. It might not be quite up there with the very, very best, but damnit its so very, very close and really if you've not seen it I can't recommend it highly enough, well assuming you've all already seen Breaking Bad, The Wire and The Sopranos that is.

Mardroid

I watched the first series* of Peakey Blinders on Netflix this week. I remember seeing it advertised when it came out, but never got round to watching it until now.

I found it very enjoyable. The subject matter 'family based gangster drama' isn't exactly original, but setting it in post - Great War Birmingham and the whole cinematic depiction, (very British, but with a flavour of Western to my mind, despite not being set in the U.S. or in the old West time period, although not that long after being 1919) and that lovely moody Sound Track (not of that period, but it fits so well) really provides something new and unique. As does the fact these lads (and the ladies in their own way, one who had to run 'the business' while the lads were away fighting, the other affected by IRA terrorism, a whole different but equally real war) are damaged war veterans.

The main characters are very likeable, flawed and very human. The most dislikeable character, ironically is the Northern Irish cop sent to bring back the stash of guns stolen at the start. But he is meant to be dislikeable, and is a great character in his own right.

I look forward to seeing the next series, although I suspect Ill have to wait a while if I have the patience to wait for it to appear on Netflix.

* I did a brief bit of internet research when I finished the series and was surprised they've done two series and there's a third coming out.It doesn't seem that long since the first series came out.

Satanist

Anyone seen The Flash? My kids love it and I've heard good things so was wondering if its worth catching but don't want to waste 20 odd hours if its pish.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Keef Monkey

Wife and I are big fans of The Flash, so I'd recommend it. Took a few episodes to click but it's fantastic fun, and a more bright and colorful take on superhero telly/films than you generally get these days.

Not sure if you watch Arrow but it does cross over with that on occasion but generally not in a way that you'd need to see both (although we do watch and enjoy both).

Hawkmumbler

Currently marathoning The Venture Bros. I have nothing to say other than this.

It's fucking brilliant. "They hit me with a truck".  :lol:

Goaty

Professor Bear

The Flash is at least as good as any other teen drama on tv, but it's probably better if you come to it cold so you don't wince at some of the truly terrible winks to DC continuity - although not knowing DC continuity also makes a lot of the "clever" dialogue utterly meaningless.  IE: a character who - in DC comic books - is a villainess with ice-based powers talks about her dead boyfriend who - again, in the comics - is a fire-based hero, describes an actual conversation with him in which he described them both as "like fire and ice", which, if you don't what they're alluding to, just makes him sound like an asshole, while if you do know what they're alluding to, it just sounds like awful dialogue.

I'd argue about Flash being independent from Arrow, though.  At one point there are concurrent storylines, and characters start talking about characters from the other show like the audience knows exactly what they're on about, even though they tend to exposit like crazy at any other time.

Goaty

Well I did watch Flash season 1 on Netflix; odd I find many episodes repeatable of hero meet the new villain with new power and lost. And at end learn and beat them. At most every episodes??

Professor Bear

Flash is very episodic, it's true.  I love how part of the formula is that he has a room full of boffins talking to him while he fights super-powered villains, and Flash is always losing until the boffins come up with a clever plan Flash could never conceive of on his own, and it's always the exact same plan: they tell Flash to use his super-speed.  Sometimes they shake things up by having Flash use his speed in the early bit of the episode, only it turns out he's not fast enough, so he thinks maybe he's not cut out to be the Flash for about twenty minutes, but then he learns to run faster and decides that he can be Flash after all - for at least the next four episodes.

Magnetica

Quote from: Mardroid on 08 February, 2016, 12:39:55 AM
I watched the first series* of Peakey Blinders on Netflix this week. I remember seeing it advertised when it came out, but never got round to watching it until now.

I found it very enjoyable. The subject matter 'family based gangster drama' isn't exactly original, but setting it in post - Great War Birmingham and the whole cinematic depiction, (very British, but with a flavour of Western to my mind, despite not being set in the U.S. or in the old West time period, although not that long after being 1919) and that lovely moody Sound Track (not of that period, but it fits so well) really provides something new and unique. As does the fact these lads (and the ladies in their own way, one who had to run 'the business' while the lads were away fighting, the other affected by IRA terrorism, a whole different but equally real war) are damaged war veterans.

The main characters are very likeable, flawed and very human. The most dislikeable character, ironically is the Northern Irish cop sent to bring back the stash of guns stolen at the start. But he is meant to be dislikeable, and is a great character in his own right.

I look forward to seeing the next series, although I suspect Ill have to wait a while if I have the patience to wait for it to appear on Netflix.

* I did a brief bit of internet research when I finished the series and was surprised they've done two series and there's a third coming out.It doesn't seem that long since the first series came out.

Same for me - missed it first time round, watched in about a week on Netflix. Really enjoyed it and am keen to see the next one.

blackmocco

Rewatching Hannibal from the start. If anything, it's more bizarre than first time around. If you haven't watched it, and fuck knows no-one else did, I'd say give it a go. It's so utterly macabre and unique (in a way that will either grab you or repel you) that it's worth me plugging it on here again. Don't let the fact it was on US network TV put you off. This is as intelligent, graphic and disturbing as anything on grown-up people's cable. Very interesting to watch it alongside the cinema incarnations as well and find it all fits together beautifully, despite a completely different cast.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Modern Panther

After watching the first episode of Hannibal, I was a bit worried that it would turn into a crime-of-the-week drama, with odd couple investigators, one of whom happens to enjoy eating folk.  But it turned out to be this intelligent, well written show.  Madds Mikkelsen is a far more sophisticated Lector than any of the actors before him.

Then the last season went batshit crazy and I found myself watching close ups of snails whilst listening to opera and worrying about the nature of reality.  Still, it was a fantastic bit of television whilst it lasted.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Satanist on 08 February, 2016, 11:32:24 AM
Anyone seen The Flash? My kids love it and I've heard good things so was wondering if its worth catching but don't want to waste 20 odd hours if its pish.

Pish.
hateful pish at that, really pishfilled pish, a pile o pish, IMHO of course.
DDT did a job on me