Main Menu

Meg 347

Started by Banners, 12 April, 2014, 09:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banners

Marvellous reference to The Icicle Works on the cover. Hurrah!

Proudhuff

Well a fine megazine to re-boot my subbie  :D

Anderson the highlight, a fine Dredd and the rest not my bag really, PI Marco end with her [spoiler]having a new side kick[/spoiler] has hints of the Simping D, interviews with non 2000ad artists seems a bit odd, and Dreddlines  :o
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Dreddlines? no Dreddlines!
DDT did a job on me

Apestrife

This one was a bit of a dip for me. While the art in Anderson still looks good, the rest of it was a bit of a let down.

Early eps. felt grounded in current events, got Anderson feeling relatable and jumping on roof tops with a lawmaster, but this one felt like the 100th reminder of Orlock, Judge Death, Satan and what not. I really hope it's all there to build towards something, tying up some ends and ending them.

I really hope she goes down the route and thinking about what her (and/or perhaps Dredd's) role in everything is. Her constantly looking back at the time she hugged Orlock on Mars isn't nearly as exciting.

And for Dredd. Got his head bashed in by some mutant. Could be fun getting to know where that goes. Haven't read the rest of the Meg stuff, but as it seems most of it's Dredd related. Looking forward reading it.

Richard

In the supplement, I quite liked the idea that there is done sort of secret conspiracy within Psi Division, and think its a shame that it was never followed up.

IndigoPrime

Given the writers, I'm not sure it was a shame. These were the Inferno guys, after all.

Colin Zeal

Overall a very good Meg this month. My only gripe would be with a line from the Godzilla article. While it was very informative, if the author can think of an invasion of another country that isn't "aggressive" then I'm curious to know what it was.

Skullmo

A good Meg but not a great one.

The thing that kills it for me is the Dredd story - and this really highlights a gripe I have with Dredd - it was a monster of the week Dredd. [spoiler]These stories usually follow the following structure (and there are quite a few of them) - 1. A judge or citizen is killed by a monster lurking in the shadows. 2. Dredd is specifically called to investigate. 3. More killings happen. 4. Dredd Meets the monster. 5. Dredd is beaten to within an inch of his life. 6. Dredd beats the monster.

Here are the problems I have with these stories:
Dredd is treated in the same way as a superhero - he just punches/shoots his way through any situation and always acts as a lone agent/saviour of the city/

No other Judge seems able to fight or even defend themselves - why are not all other Judges dead if they are so bad at doing their job?

Dredd seems incapable of doing any detective work or even stringing two thoughts together, he usually just turns up and starts fighting. At one point in this one he asks Hershey (who is a political appointment and would arguably not be discussing street work) to flag all call outs for minor offences - surely Dredd, being the senior Judge that he is, would understand what an unrealistic request that is and just not suggest it.[/spoiler]

Ok rant over.

It's a joke. I was joking.

staticgirl

Yeah you have a point, although it is interesting that in DiMarco there is a conversation about Dredd's handling of a case between Garrison(?) and Di Marco - one arguing he'd go in swinging and bust heads and one arguing he'd ask himself who benefits... It's almost like they heard you.

I am flipping loving Michael Dowling's artwork in Anderson. I've always thought the more 'Ranson-esque' artists suited Anderson best because of all the stuff they have to show that is going on inside her head. It's hard to define because I love artists like Boo Cook for other reasons like the use of colour and the outlandishness of the designs. If anyone can do bizarre mutant weirdness it's Boo Cook and I totally loved his Dredd this month.

staticgirl

Mind you that Judge Janus in the floppie was like, wholly irritating. Was she always like that? What did the audience think at the time? This was when I was undergoing my Long Walk from the prog so I don't know these stories.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 17 April, 2014, 10:08:13 AM
My only gripe would be with a line from the Godzilla article. While it was very informative, if the author can think of an invasion of another country that isn't "aggressive" then I'm curious to know what it was.

You'd be surprised. Just off the top of my head you could argue the case for William III's 1688 invasion of England (he was virtually invited to do it, after all) or our extremely reluctant 1868 invasion of Abyssinia.
@jamesfeistdraws

Skullmo

Quote from: staticgirl on 17 April, 2014, 08:45:55 PM
Mind you that Judge Janus in the floppie was like, wholly irritating. Was she always like that? What did the audience think at the time? This was when I was undergoing my Long Walk from the prog so I don't know these stories.

Yea, like, totally.
It's a joke. I was joking.

IndigoPrime

At the time, I found Janus horribly irritating. Today, I find her horribly irritating. At least she's consistent.

Hawkmumbler

Like, comsistently horrible.

Richard

Although Janus was an annoying character, I think the series was redeemed a bit by Paul Johnson's art (except in the one-off story). Whatever happened to him?