General Chat > Music

The Coolest

(1/9) > >>

JamesC:
Inspired by the First Single/Album thread I'd be interested to know who people thought were the coolest pop stars when they were kids.

When I was about five or six I thought that Shakin' Stevens and Adam Ant were the coolest guys I'd ever seen. It took a bit longer before I thought any female pop stars were cool, because of course when I was a kid I didn't like girls. Kim Wilde made me feel funny though - as did Wendy James a few years later.
I remember knowing that I was supposed to think Annie Lennox was cool because I got a Eurythmics sticker in a packet of Weetabix - but I didn't like her because she had a boys haircut.

CrazyFoxMachine:
When we were all 10 I had literally NO CONCEPT about anything - we were all supposed to pick a Spice Girl to fancy and I picked Baby Spice. Not sure why but I feel it was because I must have known she'd make the most compelling (relatively speaking) pop singles in her post Spice Girls career. There was nothing interesting about the charts in the late 90s at all. The pop we were fed was so sanitized and worthless it made barely any impression on us - it was all gelled hair and sleeveless shirts and combat trousers and nothing.

Then nu-metal and charty pop-punk came along and we were all supposed to like whining douchebags - but by then I was musically in a far hairier place where the riffs were huge and the coolest people were the ones who let you know the loudest that you weren't alone. Sigh.

Frank:

--- Quote from: JamesC on 30 April, 2014, 06:16:48 PM ---(I didn't think) any female pop stars were cool, because of course when I was a kid I didn't like girls. Kim Wilde made me feel funny though - as did Wendy James a few years later. I remember knowing that I was supposed to think Annie Lennox was cool because I got a Eurythmics sticker in a packet of Weetabix - but I didn't like her because she had a boys haircut
--- End quote ---

Any man over thirty fancies Kim Wilde rotten. Similar base urges were involved in my appreciation of Debbie Harry, but she is also the personification of everything that cool entails. She looked fantastic whatever she was wearing or however she cut her hair, she acted like she couldn't give a shit about what anyone thought of her, and her band were tight. Plus, she was in Videodrome, which I couldn't make head nor tail of until I was a teenager, but I knew it was fucking cool. Kathleen Hanna from Bikini Kill and Le Tigre and being married to Ad-Rock was impossibly cool too.

Greg M.:

--- Quote from: JamesC on 30 April, 2014, 06:16:48 PM ---When I was about five or six I thought that Shakin' Stevens and Adam Ant were the coolest guys I'd ever seen.

--- End quote ---

Adam Ant for me, without question. As a child, I was convinced he was unutterably cool. And of course, I was absolutely right - he bloody is.

JOE SOAP:

Ian Dury- first single I owned was Hit Me with your Rhythm Stick (b-side: There Ain't Half Been Some Clever Bastards) so a drummer ridden with polio was what I thought was cool- what ever that meant to me. It was years of assorted metal and indie after that (and Kate Bush).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version