Main Menu

MARCH ART COMP - VOTING THREAD

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 28 March, 2016, 09:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

Apologies for the lateness of this but the forum was down early this morning :S

Please vote for one FIRST, one SECOND and one THIRD - first will get 3 points, second 2 points and third 1 point.

The vote is decided by total points accumulated overall. You can honourably mention up to five other entries and these HMs are used to decide on tied scores so use them wisely and be aware that saying "all other entries" won't be counted. The deadline is Thursday 31st.

Albion1 - Swords & Saucery

Albion2 - The Ferocious Axe of Slaine

allied72 - MadraĆ­ Strointiam

allistermac - Slaine

amines2058 - Mongrol the Ogre

Andy Lambert - Tharg the Mystical

Cheema Khalid - Slaine

IAMTHESYSTEM - 2000 BC

Jon - Warp Spasm

Leigh Shepherd - Feg & Mebd

Nic Freeman - Kiss My Axe

Paul Moore - Slaine

Steven Denton1 - Niamh

Steven Denton2 - Renegade Templar

stuartcatley - Knight Dredd

SuperSurfer - The Savage Axe of Ukko

YOU HAVE 'TIL THURSDAY

Leigh S

Lets get in here first (maybe!)

1st:  Jon.  In a strong field this still stands out - exquisite recreation of Bellardinelli Warp spasm, and you cant have a fantasy themed comp and leave out Massimo!

2nd:  Iamthe system: Love the Inquisitor Dredd design and Starlord style 70s painted cover vibe

3rd:  Superseurfer:  Sneaking in at the last minute with a fun concept... my brain is scratching about at this idea of Ukko casting himself as the hero.... where is that from? 

Dont normally do HMs, but StuartCatley and Paul Moore deserve a mention for the slickness (not the right word!) of their images

Eamonn Clarke

1. Jon - Warp Spasm. Blimey O'Reilly!
2. Iamthesystem
3. Andy Lambert

Hm Stuart Catley's Dredd

Darren Stephens

Grud on a greenie, there's some awesome work there. I can honestly say I love all of the entries!

But, vote I must....

1: Jon. Amazing work. This should definitely be a star scan or poster in the prog. ( a bit like when Tharg printed Jake Lynches Dredd pic...!)

2: IamtheSystem. Beautifully done. Very clever colouring, too. Superb!

3: Stuartcatley. The toughest one to choose, but I'm blown away by this design. This needs to be a thing!

HMs. Everyone else.  ;)

Well played, all. And a virtual pint to CFM!
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Leigh S on 28 March, 2016, 10:05:15 AM

3rd:  Superseurfer:  Sneaking in at the last minute with a fun concept... my brain is scratching about at this idea of Ukko casting himself as the hero.... where is that from? 

Rhetorical question or .....

jannerboyuk

What a comp!

1. Knight Dredd
2. 2000BC
3. Kiss My Axe

Honourable mention
Tharg the Mystical

Fungus

1st - stuartcatley - Knight Dredd
2nd - IAMTHESYSTEM - 2000 BC
3rd - Andy Lambert - Tharg the Mystical

Andy Lambert

Such an amazing month for incredible artwork - every submission here is worthy of high praise!

1st) Jon: Warp Spasm
For a while it was a really tough call between the black and white version and IAMTHESYSTEM's entry, but when the colour version was submitted, that pretty much clinched it. Love the colouring, the use of light and dark, and the overall artwork itself - fantastic!

2nd) IAMTHESYSTEM: 2000 BC
Came VERY close to being the winner for me - brilliant bit of artwork which for me is quite evocative of some of the painted Prog covers of the 90s.

3rd) Albion: The Ferocious Axe Of Slaine
I've chosen this one as I think it's Albion's best artwork yet - I just love the drawing of Slaine in mid flight, bearing down on Nemesis... what a battle that would be! Great work, Albion!

HMs:
stuartcatley: Knight Dredd
Nic Freeman: Kiss My Axe
allistermac:  Slaine
amines2058: Mongrol The Ogre
Leigh S: Feg & Medb

SKD

Great topic suggestions for the comp always yield fabulous entries, as proven again with this months feast for the eyes. As a rule I would be drawn to the black & white art, but this time around the boys with the crayons have really knocked the artistic ball out of the playground.

1. Jon - Warp Spasm. A superb dramatic rendering of Slaine's 'warp out' that would make a dam fine wrap-around cover for the Prog.

2. IAMTHESYSTEM - 2000BC. Another wonderful piece, I really like the 'Pulp' feel given by composition and palette used.

3. Steven Denton2 - Renegade Trooper. A nice clean illustration, packed with detail. Reminiscent of Chris Western in rendering and colour.

HM. stuartcatley - Knight Dredd. A great image of Dredd with a fine rethink of his armour for a bygone age.

Again, a very high standard all round, a salute to all those who took part... and a tip of the hat to the master of the vote CFM.

All the best. Stew. :D

SuperSurfer

1 Jon - Warp Spasm: Insanely good.
2 IAMTHESYSTEM - 2000 BC: Great the character design and painterly style. We don't see enough from IATS.
3 stuartcatley - Knight Dredd: Cool character design. Really like the colouring.

HMs
Nic Freeman - Kiss My Axe: Good idea. Nicely put together.
Steven Denton2 - Renegade Templar: Cool drawing.
Albion2 - The Ferocious Axe of Slaine: I do like these kinds of 'what if' cover designs.

... my brain is scratching about at this idea of Ukko casting himself as the hero.... where is that from?
I thought it came from my bonce. When I came to start drawing I looked online for Ukko reference and saw the panel TS kindly posted, so maybe it lodged somewhere deep in my memory banks. Would've loved to have worked it up further and looked into different inking styles such as Ernie Chan/Chua. And apologies to Albion. I was going to abandon the text when I saw his entry but I stuck to my first (and only) idea.

Albion

1. Jon - Warp Spasm

2. Iamthesystem - 2000BC

3. Steven Denton 2 - Renegade Templar

HM: Animes2059, Andy Lambert, Nic Freeman
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 28 March, 2016, 02:00:42 PM
1 Jon - Warp Spasm: Insanely good.
2 IAMTHESYSTEM - 2000 BC: Great the character design and painterly style. We don't see enough from IATS.
3 stuartcatley - Knight Dredd: Cool character design. Really like the colouring.

HMs
Nic Freeman - Kiss My Axe: Good idea. Nicely put together.
Steven Denton2 - Renegade Templar: Cool drawing.
Albion2 - The Ferocious Axe of Slaine: I do like these kinds of 'what if' cover designs.

... my brain is scratching about at this idea of Ukko casting himself as the hero.... where is that from?
I thought it came from my bonce. When I came to start drawing I looked online for Ukko reference and saw the panel TS kindly posted, so maybe it lodged somewhere deep in my memory banks. Would've loved to have worked it up further and looked into different inking styles such as Ernie Chan/Chua. And apologies to Albion. I was going to abandon the text when I saw his entry but I stuck to my first (and only) idea.

Surely, you not a old friend I know outside of this forum pretending to be practically a stranger & why the use of yellow?

SuperSurfer

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 28 March, 2016, 02:22:21 PM
Surely, you not a old friend I know outside of this forum pretending to be practically a stranger & why the use of yellow?
Wha'? This thread is for voting, not chat but just to answer: image Google 'Savage Sword of Conan' and the second image to come up has a yellow and red masthead, hence me using that colour scheme.

SpongeJosh

1.stuartcatley - Knight Dredd
2.Andy Lambert - Tharg the Mystical
3.amines2058 - Mongrol the Ogre

HM: IAMTHESYSTEM - 2000 BC, Nic Freeman - Kiss My Axe

Woolly

Woah!  :o

1st - Jon: Warp Spasm.
Words fail me. Just a stunning piece of artwork.

2nd - Paul Moore: Slaine.
Adore the brush work and the style - would work a treat in the prog.

3rd - Iamthesystem: 2000BC.
A glorious painting, with no more than 3 extra ideas included! Brilliant!

HM - Nic Freeman: Kiss my axe.
Great image, great pun.