Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

S'right.  It is fascinating how your reading of some 30 year old strips can often be with the same enthusiasm as we had at the time, and sometimes time has separated the wheat from the chaff - Hicklenton and Harrison come from a similar iconoclastic approach, but one you took in your stride and the other is currently proving a bit harder to swallow -back in 1988, was it possible for Tharg to detect which would weather better?

Quote from: Steve Green on 01 December, 2019, 05:33:25 PM
Quote from: Andy B on 01 December, 2019, 05:29:37 PM
Reading along with you guys is the closest we'll ever get to experiencing this stuff for the first time: can't wait for you to get to the rest of this story.

Well put.

I've said it before, I'd forgotten how much of the flavour of the strips is missed once you remove the context, like the ads, reader letters and art, even music. You don't get that in a collection.

sheridan

Quote from: Tjm86 on 01 December, 2019, 03:40:18 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 01 December, 2019, 12:29:21 PM
.....  in the Scotch language ;)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Can open ..... worms .... everywhere ......

Nah, it's okay - I meant it ironically - like Robert talking to Eddie.

sheridan

Quote from: Andy B on 01 December, 2019, 05:29:37 PM
(That said, I have no idea about Tony Wright's ethnicity)

I'd always assumed he was black, if I was thinking about it at all (there's one or two 2000AD/House of Tharg creators who I only discovered decades later were black).

The Monarch

thanks for the early ep made my boring sunday more interesting

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Leigh S on 01 December, 2019, 06:04:25 PM
S'right.  It is fascinating how your reading of some 30 year old strips can often be with the same enthusiasm as we had at the time, and sometimes time has separated the wheat from the chaff - Hicklenton and Harrison come from a similar iconoclastic approach, but one you took in your stride and the other is currently proving a bit harder to swallow -back in 1988, was it possible for Tharg to detect which would weather better?

For me a lot of it is that Strontium Dog is so closely associated with Ezquerra at this point, sure there have been other folks on it, but Harrison is a big change all at once. Nemesis on the other hand had already had a big art changes (Redondo and Talbot) and while Strontium Dog is very much still telling a space western story, Nemesis is weird and conceptual and I think this more modern art style fits it much better generally.
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Dandontdare

Quote from: Leigh S on 01 December, 2019, 02:28:35 PM
Interesting how Tribal Memories as an (at the time) total 80s Liberal "woke" political story feels as wrong to you as all the unreconstructed "Ay Caramba!" that the new creators were quick to either parody (I hope with Morrison/Millar), embrace (Ennis) or resist (Milligan, here). 

Tribal Memories is not so much blacking up for a minstrel show, more like wearing a native american headdress to Burning Man - heart's in the right place, but best not, eh?

I didn't get the connection of Bat-mugger to the attempted batman crossover but that cover in hindsight is quite explicit -I mean  "dark night" ?

The Monarch

i may be talking out of my rear but the tryout was for apparently a proposed alan moore written dredd/batman crossover that never happened and instead became the killing joke

Frank

As far as I know, Davis was prepping for a completely separate attempt to team Judge Dredd with Batman

This piece, by Brian Cronin, says the first attempt fell through because IPC didn't think Batman was a big enough deal, but I've also read (can't remember where) that Wagner & Grant were livid when they discovered Sanders & Co. had tapped Moore to write the first attempt. So Wagner was helping Davis prep for a Judge Dredd/Batman crossover he (and Grant) would write.

Grant says he and Wagner struggled with an initial attempt at what would become Judgement On Gotham that was very serious in tone, focussing on the difference between Justice and Vengeance, before scrapping that draft and writing a comedy instead. So the Wagner, Grant and Davis book could have been very different to the Bisley one we eventually received.

Colin YNWA

Oh damnit you chaps are going to have to stop making me want to go back and re-evaluate things I'm in the middle of my own re-read and I gotta get on...

... anyway after the evaluation of Summer Magic you now make me want to re-read Tribal Memories always a firm favourite of mine. I worry that I enjoyed this so much in the past that I'm now blind to the issues it has. What that says about me I shudder to think, but even on re-read, including one pretty recently, I've always loved this short story...

...maybe I shouldn't return.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Frank on 02 December, 2019, 05:50:14 PM

This piece, by Brian Cronin, says the first attempt fell through because IPC didn't think Batman was a big enough deal, but I've also read (can't remember where) that Wagner & Grant were livid when they discovered Sanders & Co. had tapped Moore to write the first attempt. So Wagner was helping Davis prep for a Judge Dredd/Batman crossover he (and Grant) would write.

I based my coverage of the bat-mugger on that article, if there's any confusion it's from my own errors.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 03 December, 2019, 07:54:34 AM
Oh damnit you chaps are going to have to stop making me want to go back and re-evaluate things I'm in the middle of my own re-read and I gotta get on...

I can't stress enough that our readings are neither authoritative nor even that well informed! Like I said to someone about our Summer Magic stuff, we are 100% millennials reading way too much into things!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

AlexF

In terms of re-evaluating Tribal Memories, it can't be stressed enough that a), as Frank points out, the story is more or less directly lifting from one segment of Brave New World and b), yes, Tony Riot Wright has brown skin. (see also Simon Harrison, although he wasn't asked to draw any explicitly BAME characters until his own co-creation Revere debuts).

None of this has any bearing on whether or not you think it's a good story! (Personally I think it could have done with stretching out over a few more episodes, and maybe drawing more attention in-story to the whole Brave New World thing. Although I always appreciate that Milligan believes his readers are as well-read as he is. Frankly I spend too much time reading 2000AD to squeeze any novels in, let alone literary classics)

Just for the sake of it, I'm sharing a link to an old series of blog posts I wrote about 2000AD's history with BAME characters.
http://meanwhileon.blogspot.com/2016/10/bame-pow-comics-get-diverse-part-1.html

SpaceSpinner2000

Mind the oranges! It's the twenty-first in our series of Space Spinner 2000 collections! These collections have all of our coverage for a specific character or storyline, all in one place. They're a great accompaniment to reading collected versions of 2000AD, or to just hear your favorite thrill all in one place.

The middle child in Alan Moore's 2000AD tales of space teenagers DR & Quich began their lives as one-off characters in a silly future shock that gave way to a recurring series. He'd done this previously with Abelard Snazz, the genius with the double-decker head. But while those stories had usually been single issue adventures with DR & Quinch Moore and Davis were able to spread out and tell extensive tales, usually while playing with tropes of established stories. Whether it's dating, going to war, or getting a movie made, DR & Quinch bring an anarchic style and dash of ultra violence to everything they do!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 01 December, 2019, 02:06:44 PM
Quote from: Frank on 01 December, 2019, 01:46:33 PM
Sunday drop works for me.

Works better for me too - if I have my timings right, that'd leave Mondays for Mega-City Book Club...

I had my timings wrong - no idea why I thought MCBC was published on Mondays - it's ever second Sunday (so there should be one out today - so that's a DR & Quinch & MCBC Sunday for me today).

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 08 December, 2019, 06:07:47 AM
Mind the oranges! It's the twenty-first in our series of Space Spinner 2000 collections! These collections have all of our coverage for a specific character or storyline, all in one place. They're a great accompaniment to reading collected versions of 2000AD, or to just hear your favorite thrill all in one place.

The middle child in Alan Moore's 2000AD tales of space teenagers DR & Quich began their lives as one-off characters in a silly future shock that gave way to a recurring series. He'd done this previously with Abelard Snazz, the genius with the double-decker head. But while those stories had usually been single issue adventures with DR & Quinch Moore and Davis were able to spread out and tell extensive tales, usually while playing with tropes of established stories. Whether it's dating, going to war, or getting a movie made, DR & Quinch bring an anarchic style and dash of ultra violence to everything they do!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

What do I think?  What do I think?  I'm never going to be able to read DR & Quinch without imagining Dobbs' lines in Conrad's voice and Quinch's lines in Fox's!*

* @ FoxIsntARobot if I ask nicely, will you say "S'right"?

sheridan

p.s. when I got given a batch of progs by my next-door neighbour when I was eight years old, DR & Quinch have Fun on Earth was one of the stories contained therein.  It was all downhill from there (for me - the prog just got better).