General Chat > Help!

Tablets for drawing

<< < (2/5) > >>

Professor Bear:
The Surface has been an absolute nightmare to set up, but Apple can suck my dick.  You see my dilemma.

In fairness, once the Surface was set up, it was fine.  Being based on Windows meant that most of the problems were solveable eventually - in some cases, very eventually.  Given their price and the general unreliability of UK internet providers, I just wasn't willing to rely on cloud or subscription-based apps on top of the practical and ethical concerns that come with being locked-in to the Apple consumer environment.

The Legendary Shark:

I bought a modest Wacom in a PC World sale for about a hundred quid, plugged it into my modest old laptop and used it on Gimp and Inkscape. All very straightforward.

To me, however, it's a cumbersome though extensive tool best used to finish images. I think the primary tool should always be a bog-standard analogue pad and pencil - but that's just me. Everyone does it differently.

Still; cheap Wacom + cheap laptop * free software = infinite possibilities.

TordelBack:
This is all great stuff, especially the diversity of recommendations based on hard-won experience, which is what I was hoping for. Keep it coming hivemind, you never disappoint.

--- Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 05 November, 2020, 05:14:14 PM ---I think the primary tool should always be a bog-standard analogue pad and pencil - but that's just me.
--- End quote ---

Me too. Ditto on the basic  graphic tablet and PC, I've been digitising for work with that setup since 1992, and the Gimp since about '97, and while it works fine I can happily say I loathe the lot of it. But like I say, bloody kids.

Was watching the poor lass working with multiple windows, layers and brushes on a borrowed 5" phone today, and all I could think was "here, you can borrow my biro".

IndigoPrime:
Ultimately, all this comes down to two things: what will enable your kid to most fully explore their creative potential, and what can you afford? Apple tablets have the best UI abs software, but are expensive. Android has reasonable software and is more affordable but that hardware lacks the longevity of the iPad. Surface is these days a pretty great laptop but a sub-optimal tablet experience and, frankly, you’d probably be better off with a cheaper brand and a Wacom. But then you’re into ‘fun with Windows’ and software that is inherently more complex yet that won’t necessarily be better from a creativity standpoint.

The Legendary Shark:

Quick shout out for the Linux OS - it has some pretty good art programs, including MyPaint, which is a rather good Corel Painter type program - and all free with plenty of on-line tutorials.

Something like Linux Mint will install on just about any laptop so it might be worth thinking about getting a second-hand lappy and throwing Mint* on it as a dedicated art machine; that way you can spend nothing on software, maybe freeing up a few extra shillings for a shinier machine.

*I wondered if there might be a Linux distro specifically aimed at digital artists because... well, because Linux, and sure enough a quick and shallow Google found this. Gotta love those crazy Linuxians!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version