Main Menu

Steve Dillon 1962-2016

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 22 October, 2016, 04:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Wow that's fantastic - thanks Richard S.

It crazy to think that given how young he was when he started at Marvel UK (I think it was?) there even earlier stuff out there. He's the UKs Jim Shooter!

Its also incredible how quickly his work came on even here. That image of Princess Projectra in issue 39 just looks so Dillon as we know him. Then Nick Fury and the Shield agents in issue 40 is utterly early Dillon as we've seen him published. Mind he might well have been close to starting, if not started at Marvel UK at this point?

karlos

4 years already?!   :'(

That's certainly a new (to me, and I'll bet, most others on here) piece.

Lovely stuff - thanks for posting.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

A while back I came upon one of my old senior school workbooks, in which I'd listed Mick Austin and Steve Dillon as "my favourite artists"- and from those (1978!) spot illustrations it's easy to see why. He really did appear damn-near fully formed, didnt he? All bar the earliest are absolutely recognisably his work and considering he was- what, 16?- younger than my eldest- that is astonishing.

We really are worse off without him and I'm just glad that we got to see so much over the too-short time.

SBT

Mike Carroll

Mornin', all!

On my comics blog I've posted an interview with Steve conducted in 1990 -- complete with a rare chance to see some of his original Dredd artwork unhindered by colours or lettering!

https://michaelowencarroll.wordpress.com/2020/10/30/retro-interview-steve-dillon-1990/

Cheers,
Mike

broodblik

Thanks Mike, enjoyed it.

It still feels unreal losing such a talent artist.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Love seeing that art from Nightmares. Having listened to the Spacespinner chaps talk about Harlem Heroes I''ve started to wonder what Steve Dillon thought about that series and the fact he says so little about it, aside from the process of working with Kev Walker might speak volumes!

Rately

Nobody drew like Steve Dillon.

If i could own art from any comic, i'd take every page of Nightmares.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Rately on 30 October, 2020, 02:03:36 PM
Nobody drew like Steve Dillon.

If i could own art from any comic, i'd take every page of Nightmares.

For me it would be a Dredd werewolf page.

A stunning talent, sadly missed.

TordelBack

That first Dredd, Alone in a Crowd, from the early 200s, has to be the most flawless Dredd debut of any art-droid. And then when he jumps right in between Smith and Bolland on Block Mania and the quality only goes up. Some lad.

Richard

That panel in Alone in a Crowd where a shot perp falls from a window looks so dynamic it almost looks like the picture is really moving! Such a good artist. A good writer too, his Hap Hazzard stories were quite funny.

Funt Solo

I loved his clean lines - I used to photocopy bits of the prog and then trace over them to make my own copies of things he drew.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++