Main Menu

The Wheel of Worlds

Started by Funt Solo, 12 August, 2021, 06:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

So, there's a frame in Ampney Crucis Investigates... The List of Ten (episode six, prog 1719) that is showing characters from the "Wheel of Worlds" - Ian Edginton's linked universe of stories.

Obvious to me are the characters from Stickleback (right) and The Red Seas (center bottom). I don't know who the guy with the pistol is (bottom left) or the cyclops weirdo (top left) - can anyone help me out there? (I *think* they may be Leviathan but it's been a long time.)

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

Yes. I've forgotten their names and am too lazy to look it up at this time in the morning, but that's the copper and his sidekick, plus the main demon baddie from Leviathan.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

The detective is Detective Sergeant Lament, the demon fella is Hastur and the other person the steerage class 'police' Sky Baker.... well if Wikipedia is to be believed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leviathan_(2000_AD)

I've always had a nerd fantasy that Ian Edginton would be a mainstram comics 'Crisis' on infinite worlds' type affair and smash his Edgiverse together in some magnificent story or other. I'm not sure it would really seat well in 2000ad but DAMN I'd like to find out!

AlexF

Is the Wheel itself a reference to Brass Sun?

Funt Solo

Quote from: AlexF on 12 August, 2021, 11:07:23 AM
Is the Wheel itself a reference to Brass Sun?

I think we can make a meta-link between the written concept of the "wheel of worlds" and the first series of Brass Sun being named "The Wheel of Worlds", although I haven't seen any direct narrative link.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Over on my old "Thrills Over Time" thread, Cosh said there were martians in The Red Seas - is this for real? Which series / episode? Do they look the same as the Scarlet Traces martians?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

I, Cosh

It's true. I actually can't remember which story it is now but it ends with Jack's off/on love interest magician lady gering teleported to Mars and cutting away. There's a definite Ulla. Different artists but based on the same model. Of course, there's a few centuries between the two, in addition to the while alternate weekend thing.
We never really die.

Funt Solo

Here it is - final episode of The Hollow Land:

There's also a similar story of the War of the Worlds martians actually having invaded Mars (here, Mala) and forced the original inhabitants (the Seroni) to flee - which ties into the narrative of Scarlet Traces: The Great Game.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

I was inspired to figure out Edgiverse connections:

I was tempted to try to fit American Gothic, Detonator X, Fiends of the Eastern Front and Interceptor in as well, but felt like that'd be even more of a stretch than what's already been attempted. Mind you, American Gothic has actual wheels in it! Coincidence?!

*Just noticed that I used the word protagonist when I meant antagonist. Adjust your logic bafflers!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Wow Funt Solo even by your impeccible standards that is fantastic. I wish I had time to go through and see if there was anything to add to that.

Dark Jimbo

Off the top of my head there's a few more links:

In the first series of Ampney Crucis, Sir Devon Redvers cites 'an old pirate's tale' of the Hollow Earth [Red Seas].

Sir William Ashbless (Leviathan) is one of the City Fathers in the first series of Stickleback - Bey and Chipps tie him up and nick his invite.

There is a pub called The Jolly Cripple (Red Seas) in Stickleback.

The Eye of Hastur symbol (Leviathan) recurs repeatedly in Ampney Crucis.

Captain McLean's Old Rotgut (Leviathan) appears in American Gothic.
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 13 August, 2021, 11:10:31 AM

That's a particularly fine one!

Funt Solo

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 13 August, 2021, 11:24:27 AM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 13 August, 2021, 11:10:31 AM

That's a particularly fine one!

Pure gold!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.