Main Menu

Advice on posting original art

Started by Huey2, 31 August, 2021, 10:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huey2

Hi all,
I was wondering if any of you could offer some advice on the best way to post comic artwork so that it doesn't get damaged. Any help would be much appreciated.

Jim_Campbell

Flat, not rolled. Sandwiched between the stiffest, heaviest cardboard you can lay your hands on. Use a a service like 'Signed For' from Royal Mail, but check what insurance cover is offered — try to get cover to match the value if your art, so you can at least refund the recipient and then get your own money back from the insurance if the worst happens.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Barrington Boots

I've never posted original art but I've had a few delivered in the post. 100% what Jim says, and try and get it into a plastic envelope before you sandwich it between the card. You want it too stiff to bend and thick enough to withstand getting wet.
I had a very expensive bit of art delivered and I was nervous as anything about anything happening to it - the seller used DPD so we could track it's progress online which went a long way towards easing both our jitters.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Lorenzo

Interesting choice Jim. I'd be interested in your dislike for tubes.
If I send anything that absolutely must not get damaged (no finger marks or corner dents) I would always choose a thick walled tube. *Very* loosely rolled. Just make sure the art is covered in acid free tissue paper, front and back, with no chance for the art to shift length ways in the tube (foam or polystyrene plug).
If you want to send art on Bristol board or art that can't be rolled for any reason (painted, heavy paper sort), then I mount it between two sheets of hardboard/thick card like Jim said, but then boxed with at least 1cm space (foam/bubblewrap/chip filled) on all sides. No matter how thick the card is, if it gets bent your art is fugged. Air space surround is essential. Always make sure your backing boards are bigger than the art (not the exact same size) and make sure it can't shift so a corner wont stick out.
The amount of effort is of course dependant on how valuable you think it is!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Lorenzo on 01 September, 2021, 09:10:31 AM
I'd be interested in your dislike for tubes.

Original art can crack when rolled. Painted, obviously, but also B&W. I learned this back when I drew for a couple of small press titles in the late 80s/early 90s — I sent in my first completed pages rolled up in a tube and got a telling off — the surface of the paper can crack and create little spiderwebs of white lines in any areas of solid black.

Sketches/commissions on cartridge/layout paper are probably OK to roll but any paper stock heavier than that... definitely flat, IMO.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Lorenzo

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 01 September, 2021, 09:46:28 AM
Original art can crack when rolled. Painted, obviously, but also B&W.
Yeah that makes sense. I've only ever had to ship inks/pencils and watercolours/gouache for repro. That's all very flexible. A few artists ship to us flat, so we send it back flat as well.

Huey2

Thanks for the advice, guys. Very, very much appreciated.

Large48

Or, preferable, meet at a Con or event to drop it off in person...... then you know it actually gets to the (correct!) person.
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Huey2

A quick follow-up question to this.
Is anything needed to cover the artwork before placing it between cardboard?

Barrington, you mentioned a plastic envelope between the art and card. Is there a danger some of the ink will stick to the plastic if it's pressed too hard? - I've looked at old pages of my own stuff in a portfolio and seen that part of the artwork has ended up on the plastic  wallets.

hippynumber1

I usually use paper - either from a large roll or, if I've run out, several sheets of A4 overlapping and taped together.

Huey2

Lorenzo

Quote from: Huey2 on 04 October, 2021, 08:39:19 PM
A quick follow-up question to this.
Is anything needed to cover the artwork before placing it between cardboard?....
Yes, like I said up thread, use this stuff:
Tissue Paper
or any soft, thin, white paper if it's not that important. Careful using sticky tape on the side near the artwork.

matty_ae

How do you avoid the risk of the 'empty box' scam where the buyer claims the artwork wasn't inside?
I'm always concerned paypal will always believe the buyer over the seller?

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Huey2 on 04 October, 2021, 08:39:19 PM
Barrington, you mentioned a plastic envelope between the art and card. Is there a danger some of the ink will stick to the plastic if it's pressed too hard? - I've looked at old pages of my own stuff in a portfolio and seen that part of the artwork has ended up on the plastic  wallets.

All the art I've purchased where it's arrived flat, I've had in a plastic wallet. Had no issues with ink transferring, but it may be because if the short amount of time the art has been in the wallets.

However - what the guys above said about paper seems definitely the best option.
You're a dark horse, Boots.