Main Menu

Prog 2248 - Death Wish

Started by Colin YNWA, 05 September, 2021, 08:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well that cover must be going down as a contender for the best of the year, fantastic.

Dredd - Another superb episode, Neimand has had 'some' lately. Dark and entertaining.

Skip Tracer - Another very good episode. The development of the Blake's daughter is pushing this to very satisfying areas its not reached until the story about his brother. This story needs to keep it in the family!

Dexter - very satifying end to the current story, all action - and yet another gap it would seem so we are all action, no traction alas.

3riller - The Mask of Laverna - hmmm this one is... I don't know maybe on read but its not engaging me here.

Jaegir - Another interesting episode - this one will be done too soon!

Decent Prog to say the least.

broodblik

Cover by Cliff Robinson and Dylan Teague:

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Barrington Boots

I don't know if it's the joy of it arriving on a Saturday morning, but after being a bit down on last weeks Prog I am a lot more positive about this one.

The cover is superb: striking and combining Kali with an almost Jesus-like pose for Atalia. It's super evocative and I love it.

Dredd - Didn't dig this at all. There's an interesting idea at the heart of the story but I think it loses the creepy atmosphere once the zombies arrive (and zombies can bore off). A rare flat tale from Kenneth Niemand.

Skip Tracer - Taken out of context, this was an enjoyable episode. Looks great, moves quick, Nimrod getting Thanos-d was cool. Not sure if it's an intended comment from the author or not, but when Nimrod quotes a bit of MacBeth here and describes Nolan as the 'idiot full of sound and fury and signifying nothing' this is unfortunately a great summation of a lot of Skip Tracer.

Dexter - My dislike of where this strip has ended up is known, but that aside this was also a very enjoyable episode. There's a lot of action and it's actually pretty exciting - a bit cinematic almost, lovely stuff from Tazio Bettin drawing Kalinka doing all sorts of badass robot stuff. Once again the tale it wraps up just as it heats up.

The Mask of Laverna - Perfectly enjoyable 3riller this, bit of an old school feel, packs a lot in. On the downside, Delphi's smart-ass dialogue is annoying this episode however and doesn't endear me to want to see more. 

Jaegir - Just wonderful stuff. I am so into this story. Only three episodes though! Can only hope this is getting everything set up for a proper, longer run to come (and soon)

You're a dark horse, Boots.

IndigoPrime

Skip Tracer did that last issue, too, with "so predictable". What's this on now, part 11 or 12? Blimey. Feels a lot like a dependable fill-in that can run for long periods, like some of the strips in the 1980s that were kind of just there.

I'm warmer on Laverna and Dredd than Mr Boots, but otherwise broadly though the same, so:

Jaegir (nice cover, too) > The Mask of Laverna > Dredd > Dexter > Skip Tracker

Dark Jimbo

Tharg's strategy finally becomes clear - (hatred of) Skip Tracer is the glue to finally bind the Forum, Megaverse and all other fractured fan groups together.
@jamesfeistdraws

Freddychopper

Loving the Dredd. Fantastic atmosphere and a strange new villain. Got me thinking if the Dark Judges ever make their way back to Mega City One, Percival HAS to be the one to illustrate it. Great Prog

broodblik

Was this good prog yea or nay? It was certainly a good read not the best, but I still find it satisfactory.   

Dredd – The house looks like a displacement in time where a "dark" judge has been having his fun with people stumbling into his lair of torture but alas he forgets his got the one and only mister spoilsport Dredd himself to wreck his party. A good Niemand Dredd with lovely gory twisted art by mister Percival.

Skip – Not a bad episode at all. As predicted Nolan's daughter came to the rescue and now it's time for our hero to escape and prepare us for the next chapter in the further adventures of a rogue psi (with a little bit of help from his little helper). As always, the double combo art from Marhsall and Teague delivers.

Dexter – Just as I got behind the story, we get another "The End". Where will Abnett go next with the story? I did like Tazio's art in the story, but I still see Yeowell as the Sin/Dex artist.

The Mask of Laverna – A little more stock standard stuff here where human sells his soul to the dark arts and use the immense powers to some bad stuff. Still a good 3riller that at least keeps my interest.

Jaegir – Dark, moody and somber this is the world of Atalia as the story gets more interesting. Take top honors this week great stuff from Rennie and Coleby. Pity the story will end next week and then we must wait again to see where the dark path Atalia choose is heading to.

The Corinthian

Oh goodie, Skip Tracer has extended scenes of characters quoting Shakespeare at each other, in the way that bog standard American TV series do when they think they're being profound.

norton canes

Yes! Finally, I got a letter published in 2000 AD!

Admittedly it was only the second one I've ever written, the first being in 1978 (accompanied by a drawing of a robot horse). But still.

Richard

Woolly

Cliff Robinson is now the undisputed King of the 2000AD cover! Beautiful work!

A prog firing on nearly all cylinders if it wasn't for You-Know-Who.
Even the Marsh-L droid seems bored with it now - Please Tharg, give him something good to draw!

broodblik

Quote from: Woolly on 09 September, 2021, 10:09:25 AM
Cliff Robinson is now the undisputed King of the 2000AD cover! Beautiful work!

That was cover no 129 by him

Woolly

Quote from: broodblik on 08 September, 2021, 04:27:51 AM
Dexter – Just as I got behind the story, we get another "The End". Where will Abnett go next with the story? I did like Tazio's art in the story, but I still see Yeowell as the Sin/Dex artist.

I'm adoring this current arc of the story - finally Sin/Dex being good again, and some genuine fears for the future of certain characters, which is a rare thing in comics these days!
And this episode has really shown off Tazio's skills - not a slow moment or duff panel in sight!

Is this it for a while, or is it due back soon?

broodblik

Dexter will be back in November ; and it's Dexter vs dinosaurs, by Dan Abnett and Tazio Bettin! :

https://2000ad.com/news/whats-coming-from-rebellions-comics-imprints-this-november/