Main Menu

List of series in 2000ad and Megazine

Started by Colin YNWA, 04 October, 2021, 06:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

You sometimes you start something that you figure will have its challenges but when you dig into it raises so many questions, just so many. For reasons that probably aren't that hard to guess I'm trying to put together a list of all the series to have appeared in 2000ad and The Megazine - aside from Judge Dredd. Simple as that...

Sheesh, oh that it was that simple. So you exclude Dredd, but then do you include America and Deadman in that exclusion? You decide to split Rogue into 'Classic' and 'Friday', but how do you handle Flesh. You decide to bunble Megazine run into 2000ad runs, so all Anderson is together, but is Hershey different to Judge Hershey (I'm going yes)... etc etc.

Anyway I've used the work of Broodblik from a bit over a year ago (thank you sir) as my basis, updated and merging a couple of list he did BUT I suspect a few of you have lists of you own. So if you are willing to share I could use them to cross check things.

I'll also ask a few question over the coming days...

AlexF

I know you already know about this resource, but I feel the magnificent, but of course still in development 2000 AD A to Z is going to be your friend here:
https://2kstages.github.io/AtoZ.html

To be honest I still default to Barney's list of Thrills, but I don't think that'll help much with your dilemmas.

I await with interest to see how you handle the various one/two-off stories that were not run under the banner of 'Future Shocks' for whatever reason...  ;)

2022 is shaping up to be a fun year round these parts!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: AlexF on 04 October, 2021, 08:35:22 AM
I await with interest to see how you handle the various one/two-off stories that were not run under the banner of 'Future Shocks' for whatever reason...  ;)

Oh don't at the minute I'm going with ignoring them and hoping everyone forgets they exist!

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 October, 2021, 08:47:12 AM
Quote from: AlexF on 04 October, 2021, 08:35:22 AM

Oh don't at the minute I'm going with ignoring them and hoping everyone forgets they exist!

Actually I quite liked An Agent Rat Adventure.  I'd still like to have a tree house...

I, Cosh

Here's Barney's list of Thrills with a count of appearances in Prog, Meg and Specials with a field for which "world" they're part of. I'm pretty loose with that last part: anything tangentially related to Dredd (Pussyfoot 5, I'm looking at you) is classed as Dreddworld but I'm not really interested in the idea that all Pat's strips are one huge continuity.

Barney - Thrill List (gSheets)

Titles for some Meg Dredd thrills probably aren't exactly right (the Janus conundrum) as Barney uses the same code for the character as the strip in some cases.

I've excluded anything which was only reprint and anything that was only in the Action Special. There's a potential issue that the bumper year end Progs 2000 - 2016 are classed as Specials in Barney and I couldn't be arsed to try splitting out those versus actual specials (which are all also included.)
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

You are good people I, Cosh (Pete) - I'll worry about the fact there are 12 extra thrills on your list than mine - which is exactly why I'm doing this - I see Ack-Ack Macaque already - and use this to add / cross check what I've got...

rogue69

Looking through Wikipedia they have Rogue spilt into Classic and Friday then further by writers Gerry and others on the Hit storyline then the specials and annuals. They then add the spin offs the 86ers, Venus Bluegenes, Tor Cyan/ Mercy Heights, Jaegir and Hunted adding the IDW Rogue stories.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_Trooper

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 October, 2021, 11:15:46 AM
You are good people I, Cosh (Pete) - I'll worry about the fact there are 12 extra thrills on your list than mine - which is exactly why I'm doing this - I see Ack-Ack Macaque already - and use this to add / cross check what I've got...
Stuff like the Batman and Predator crossovers are listed separately. Interested to see what the others are: post them up and we can argue about it.

Oh, the evergreen "One-Off" category might be one. Covers stuff which wasn't printed under a recognisable banner like "Future Shocks" and the like.
We never really die.

sheridan

Quote from: I, Cosh on 04 October, 2021, 01:25:56 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 October, 2021, 11:15:46 AM
Stuff like the Batman and Predator crossovers are listed separately. Interested to see what the others are: post them up and we can argue about it.

Oh, the evergreen "One-Off" category might be one. Covers stuff which wasn't printed under a recognisable banner like "Future Shocks" and the like.

Supercovers / 7 Wonders of the Galaxy / Holiday and/or Home of the Future (can't remember which, but one of them was due to run in the weekly and ended up in a special instead).

Funt Solo

Aye, my A to Z is complete re story titles.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Funt Solo on 04 October, 2021, 02:33:33 PM
Aye, my A to Z is complete re story titles.

I'm going to use this for my third pass (hopefully final too) - currently aligning Barney with Broodblik (and my additions). Do some quick chops then (see below) and then run that list past your A-Z Funt Solo as a final check.

Quote from: I, Cosh on 04 October, 2021, 01:25:56 PM

My current thoughts are these will be left out - on the basis a series implies multiple parts - so two at least. A one-off by definition (not that I've actually looked at a definition) isn't a series and so I'll cut them at the start... discuss...this also removed the confusing aspect of judging Future Shocks as a collected whole - a series of one-offs - rather than as individual stories... if that makes sense ... also it saves me some time and if nothing else I'm a lazy bugger!

Quote from: rogue69 on 04 October, 2021, 12:42:35 PM
Looking through Wikipedia they have Rogue spilt into Classic and Friday then further by writers Gerry and others on the Hit storyline then the specials and annuals. They then add the spin offs the 86ers, Venus Bluegenes, Tor Cyan/ Mercy Heights, Jaegir and Hunted adding the IDW Rogue stories.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_Trooper

This is a good example of the things to think about. So I've got Rogue as Rogue (Classic), Rogue (Friday) and all the in-universe stories as their own series. That begs the question how to consider the stories where they try to unpick the continuity mess it became and I go with - welllllll that's up to you but I think we can consider them in both if you like as they impact the story from both series (... or just ignore as they were a bit rubbish!).

I've got a similar, but different issue with Sinister Dexter. When I saw Downlobe Tales I was all like ... well they get wrapped into Sinister Dexter as they continue the same storyline as the 'main' series... but then saw Malone and thought.... BBUUUTTTTT I kinda want to seperate that out AND then I though about what I'm thinking for Strontium Dog(s) Tales from the Dog House and just kinda shrugged for now!

Richard

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Richard on 04 October, 2021, 05:26:10 PM
Wikipedia has this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_AD_(comics)#Lists_of_stories

And there are two lists there 2000ad Stories and 2000ad minor stories - but I think the latter is just of subset of the larger list...

Richard

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Richard on 04 October, 2021, 05:43:42 PM
I think you missed the .pdf lists.

Oh I did your right - they are very useful and have already confirmed something I'd missed...