Main Menu

The Killing v Portrait of a Mutant - Bolt-01 Cup - SEMI-FINAL 2

Started by Colin YNWA, 13 October, 2021, 06:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well what do you know we've hit the semi-finals and I suspect that there are going to be some very tough calls to be made for some folks. For others some of these might feel very straight-forward.

Our second semi has the last remaining none 'Epic', but a thrill that for many exemplifies the series. Mind in the other corner we have one of 2000ad great origin stories for any series. Tough calls all round one suspects

As ever all you need to worry about is which of the following you prefer:

The Killing - more info

VS

Portrait of a Mutant - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite of these two stories at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Saturday 16th October and the winner gets a place in the semis.

... there's a spreadsheet to make following easier... if you fancy. If not, don't worry just VOTE!!!!

I've tried to explain the finals here.

What on Earth is ALL of this?

Why on Tharg's Earth head are we doing this?

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

Oh and my 'More info' links... well I don't say how much more and they get pretty wonky at times!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Rogue Judge

Portrait of a Mutant. Another round that makes me feel guilty to vote against the other.

Barrington Boots

The Killing for me.
I had Portrait down to win the tourney from the start, and whilst it's a magnificent origin tale and a brilliant read, it's not the Stronty-est of Stronts imo and it's a very grim, serious read throughout as befits the story it's telling. The Killing is neither of these - It's got Wulf, absolutely masses of cool enemies, black humour, bounty hunting and such a great ending. It's one of the top 3 SD for me and it gets my vote here.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

credo

Has to be The Killing. Portrait is great, but for a story about mutant bounty hunters, it's a little light on the actual bounty hunting (although not, I suppose, on the mutants).

Someone in the hive mind will be able to tell me, where does The Killing sit on the publication timeline of "stories about organised murderous games where contestants must fight it out until only one survivor is left"? Must be pretty early?

Timothy

I am seriously torn here. Portrait is a huge part of the SD story and is a great piece of world building with some cracking characters. The Killing though doesn't put a foot wrong. It's funny, tense and exciting and it has Wulf. Both great stories, but for me The Killing just nudges it. God only know how I will cope with an Outlaw vs The Killing final.

Leigh S

Hmm - Barrington makes a great point about The Killing - it is much more quintessentially "Strontium Dog" than the war story / childhood trauma of Portrait. 

But even given that, this was the first Stront story I read in full (missed the first part of Bad Boys Bust)  and it make me a life long fan.  It does have enough bad assery from adult Alpha for me - Eggheads cracking and "that" end.... "Please, don't let me die...."  Along with one of 2000ADs all time great panels (the Disbanded Kreelers as the new Police is one of 2000ADs most on point political messages)....

The Killing is great fun and a superb high concept (I also wonder where it sits in the "Fortnite" timeline!)

But overall, i cannot deny my vote to Portrait of a Mutant for the depth of character, world building and messaging. 

AlexF

Just been looking into that whole timeline of 'death games' stories question, and it's not something the internet seems to have agreed upon...

Per TV Tropes (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeadlyGame), it's all more or less based on Roman Gladiators (and similar to various Aztec/Maya/Meso-American ballsports)* but the earliest versions of this in fiction apparently start with 'The Most Dangerous Game' (1924; the 1932 movie is excellent BTW) - but that's basically just rich people hunting humans for sport. Arguably Han's Tournament from Enter the Dragon (1973) is more similar, with its contestants routinely dying at the end ofeach fight, rather than just being knocked out.

The nearest I can see that is much more like the Killing is, apparently, a Modesty Blaise strip from 1976 called 'Those about to Die', something it's easy to imagine Wagner and Grant having read. Although I think, again, that's more about peole being rounded up for a death sport, not willing volunteers on a Game Show, in the manner of your Battle/Hunger/Squid Game Royale variety.

And then of course there's Judge Dredd: You Bet Your Life' (1977, Prog 25) and 'The Game Show Show' (1982, Progs 278-9), which sees willing contestants risk their lives for money (although they're not killing each other). Wagner and Grant definitely read those strips, because they wrote 'em!

And frankly, after doing even this cursory research, I'm giving my vote to the Killing for being super fun and, perhaps, an original story idea!

*Pat Mills might like to wave Murderball in your faces, too

Buttonman

One stront tale to take to a desert island? Of these two I'm taking The Killing.

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

GoGilesGo

Here, every time it comes around, the age-old ritual of The Killing gets my vote.

Southstreeter

The Killing is quintessential Stront. Portrait is great, but a diversion from the main action.

Colin YNWA

Last chance to vote on this one. Counting up in the morning. This one is close but looks like it might be what I consider a surprise...

Rogue Judge

I was on the train heading home from work today and found myself thinking about Strontium Dog, then this comp and my vote for Portrait (how weird is that...but what else is there to think about when starting blankly out a window to avoid making eye contact with the stranger facing you from two feet away). Anywho, I've decided if I could only read one of these stories ever again it would be the Killing. Not sure I can change my vote,  but there you have it.

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!