Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Diaboliks vs Slaughter Bowl - Round 1 Heat 33

Started by Colin YNWA, 22 November, 2021, 06:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Week... eerrrr is anyone keeping count anymore? (well yes I am its 5) and you know what if I said Week 4 was a step up in quality, well I'd suggest this week is even better. See what you reckon...

Two stories that deal with pretty horrible leads. So I guess the real question is do you prefer devil and ghouls or dinosaurs strapped with weaponry. As ever a question you only need ask when referring to 2000ad!

Which most rattles your thrill-receptors:

Diaboliks - more info

Vs.

Slaughter Bowl - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday 25th November and the winner gets a place in Round 2 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

rogue69

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

AlexF

Another cruel choice, and I've a feeling that's going to happen more and more often.
Am choosing to cheat my way out of this one by saving up a vote for Caballistics Inc (which is, marginally, better than Diaboliks, if I had to choose). Instead here's some love for SlaughterBowl, the only genuinely good story to come out of the Summer Offensive. I remember the first read-through felt kind of broad and obvious, in terms of dino death and serial killer cliches, but each time I've read it since I like it more and more. It's easy to admire John Smith for his pretentions, but he's a great craftsman, too. Peart-Smith should've had more work from 90s Tharg, too.

IndigoPrime

For me, Slaughter Bowl was one of Smith's weaker efforts for the Prog. It's enjoyable enough though (and was far better than the detritus that surrounded it). Diaboliks wins out for me, though, with its scratchy art and nasty horror.

Link Prime

I really enjoyed Slaughter Bowl at the time, and also during a single re-read a couple years later.

Smith applied a sprinkle of Thrill magic even on his more conventional stories such as this one.

Funt Solo

Diaboliks, for both art and story. I used to rate Slaughter Bowl, but on reflection I found it problematic. It's got a great elevator pitch, though:

"A deranged lunatic with multiple personality disorder gets imprisoned as a serial killer but chooses Option B: riding a heavily-armed dinosaur in a race to the death!"
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

NapalmKev

Slaughter Bowl.

I'm a fan of both strips but there can be only one. I'm still hoping, in vain I suspect, that Slaughter Bowl gets sneaked into the Ultimate collection.  Put it together with Maniac 5, The Clown, Dead Meat and Trash and watch it fly off the shelves. 

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

sintec

Quote from: NapalmKev on 22 November, 2021, 08:16:41 PM
I'm still hoping, in vain I suspect, that Slaughter Bowl gets sneaked into the Ultimate collection.

I'm hoping it might get included in the promised Revere volume.

Huey2