Main Menu

Tharg’s 2021 in Review - Best Regened Thrill

Started by Colin YNWA, 29 December, 2021, 07:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So we spend a lot of time reflecting or just rejecting the Regened so I figured they deserved their own category so folks can harrumph or declare the triumph as they prefer. Appreciate that Norton Cane has included them in the fav thrill section but what the heck we can give them the chance to shine a little on their own i reckon

Easy to define group, which will be listed in the next post, any thrill that appeared in a Regened issue, less Cadet Dredd (see yesterday's vote). This does NOT include Pandora Perfect or Department K that ran in the Prog.

We'll included one off likes Future Shocks here as almost all the thrills are done in one seems weird to exclude them.

Format is easy. Simply look at the list in the next post(s) - and post your top three in a reply to this thread - just make sure to clearly indicate your order using the format below - with the points awarded for each placing:

(1st, foremost and best) = 5 points
(2nd runner up) = 3 points
(Bronze who cares really) = 1 point

If you don't make it clear I'll award all your mentioned votes 3 points each.

The vote will run for a week and I'll announce the winner early shall we say Wednesday 5th January... hopefully... we'll see....

If you have any questions just ask and I'll wing it as normal...

Colin YNWA

List of Regened Thrills

In order they appeared, unlike Batman's Superior Cousin I'm lazy and so only credit writer and artist so my apologies to the fine letters and colourists on these thrills.

Action Pact; Prog 2220 ; Mike Carroll and Luke Horsman

Viva Forever; Prog 2220; David Baillie and Anna Morozova

Future Shorts - Geeno Firenzo's Big Comeback; Prog 2220; Karl Stock and Siliva Califano

Mayflies; Progs 2220 + 2246; Mike Carroll and Simon Coleby

Tharg's Future Shocks - Space Expectations; Prog 2233; Colin Harvey and Tom Newell

Anderson, Psi-Division - Deep Burn; Prog 2233; Cavan Scott and Paul Davison

Pandora Perfect - Night of the GuffWarbler; Prog 2233; Roger Langridge and Brett Parsons

Department K - Stranded; Prog 2233; Rory McConville and P.J. Holden

'Splorers; Prog 2246; Grennie and Neil Google

Future Shocks - Trash Culture; Prog 2246; Karl Stock and Steve Roberts

Chopper; Prog 2246; David Barnett and Nick Roche

Scooter and Jinx; Goo, Prog 2256; Shelley, Ronaldo, Gordon and Moore James Peaty and Steve Roberts

Enemy Earth; Prog 2256; Cavan Scott and Luke Horsman

Time Twister - Temporal Tantrum; Prog 2256; Colin Harvey and Tom Newell

Strontium Dug; Prog 2256; David Baillie and Colin MacNeill

Huey2

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

sintec

broodblik

Quote from: broodblik on 29 December, 2021, 09:12:31 AM
1. Mayflies
2. Pandora Perfect
3. Strontium Dug

Sorry colin I want to change my vote:

1. Mayflies
2. Splorers
3. Pandora Perfect
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

norton canes

Pandora Perfect and Department K have been amazing in the regular prog but the individual instalments in this year's Regened progs haven't been their best, so...

1. Enemy Earth
2. Mayflies
3. 'Splorers

Of all the 2021 newcomers it's definitely Enemy Earth that looks like it's got the most potential as an ongoing strip.

AlexF

davidbishop

Funt Solo

I appreciate that the Regened progs get their own vote, although it's weird not to be including the break out series that have appeared in the regular prog. I suppose a line has to be drawn somewhere.

Anyway - minor vote structure critique aside, here's my top three:

1st: 'Splorers - is just a joy - working equally well for fans of Survival Geeks or newbies. The communication between the children, and between them and their parents is spot on, and brings a realism and pathos to what is on the surface a surreal fantasy.

2nd: Pandora Perfect - slightly down in perfection level from the opener, but then I'm not sure that could have been bested. The amusing conceit of having Pandora Perez dress up as Mary Poppins is now cemented in, which is meta-musing (like Jean-Claude Van Damme always having a scene near the start of a movie explaining his outrageous accent, or Gordon Ramsay having a contractual obligation to go shirtless for no apparent reason in every episode of Kitchen Nightmares).

3rd: Mayflies - a perfect "meet the team" opener with a confused "who's that now?" follow-up. I want this to work, but I need to be able to tell the difference between the many team members.

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tomwe

Rogue Judge

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

Tough this one as there are a number of thrills that were there or there abouts. I will also note that I thought the Regened appearances of both Department K and Pandora Perfect were not as good as their first nor their brilliant openings in the Prog. So on that basis I think I'll go:

1st - Mayflies

I think this has the most potential to spin off into its own ongoing and has been immensely good in setting up that potential this year.

2nd - Chopper

Just a really fun, smart story

3rd - 'Splorers

Just so cute but immensely well done at the same time. Really excited to see this one come back.