Main Menu

Which do you prefer?

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 22 January, 2023, 04:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnW

Those chainsaw outlines! What was the deal with them? I couldn't quite see why Ezquerra liked them so much, and I thought it was a bit much for his replacement to copy them.

There were hints of pyrotechnics to come in Our Man In Hondo, but not enough to prepare us for Song of the Surfer.

This one impressed me a lot at the time.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

broodblik

I loved the style Colin used in America but my favorite Colin work is his B/W colour work on Defoe (prog 2026-2039)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Barrington Boots

Quote from: broodblik on 31 January, 2023, 04:26:09 PM
I loved the style Colin used in America but my favorite Colin work is his B/W colour work on Defoe (prog 2026-2039)

Good shout this and very underrated as the story is so bad.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 31 January, 2023, 10:15:03 AM
Honestly it's very hard to choose with Colin MacNeil because it's all so good.

The exception that proves the rule that I will ALWAYS choose line-art. In this case I just can't decide both are so good!

The amazing thing about Colin MacNeil's painted work is it seems as clear and neat as his line work. A wonderful talent we are o lucky to have in Tharg's Thrill-Pouch.

Magnetica

Agree with Alex on Insurrection - I loved the first two books. They are a real high point and I'm sad the third book didn't use that style. But it's kinda a forerunner of the current style but in black and white.

Also agree with Jware on the fully painted stuff - some of the figures look a bit stiff, but yeah I really like It overall.

But I understand why he doesn't do the fully painted anymore - it just takes too long.

So when I look at the new stuff I'm both sad and happy at the same time. Sad it's not painted but happy to have MacNeil in the Prog / Meg at all.

broodblik

Insurrection:

Defoe:

Strontium Dog:

America:

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JayzusB.Christ

That first page of Defoe is an absolute classic.  I didn't mind the story - it wasn't Pat Mills' best, but his best was very, very good - but Colin's artwork is incredible.

I'd forgotten about the Hondo City Dredd, kind of the halfway point between his early linework and his fully painter art.  Also never noticed he was still doing the Ezquerra dotted lines there too.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

broodblik

Colin MacNeil's Dogbreath cover:

broodblik

Some nice linework from Colin as well (Strontium Dog: The Schicklgruber Grab commission (2021)):

Dash Decent

Quote from: JWare on 31 January, 2023, 04:14:58 PM
Those chainsaw outlines! What was the deal with them?

He thought they helped bring whatever they surrounded to the foreground.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Richmond Clements

Colin did a few covers for us. This one is astonishing. Dave had it on his mantlepiece for years before he could return it to Colin. (Yes, Colin sent him the original piece to scan!)

And this Devlin Waugh one:

JohnW

Quote from: Dash Decent on 01 February, 2023, 11:59:17 AM
Quote from: JWare on 31 January, 2023, 04:14:58 PM
Those chainsaw outlines! What was the deal with them?

He thought they helped bring whatever they surrounded to the foreground.

And so they did, but they also put a thick black dotted line around everything in the foregound, which looked downright odd. I was grateful when he toned it down/phased it out in later years.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

JayzusB.Christ

I didn't mind them at all - I grew up with them, I suppose, so I just thought that was a normal way to draw comics.  Carlos' work was never about being super-lifelike anyway, there was always a touch of stylised quirkiness.

They were also handy if you wanted a cut-out-and-keep paper Johnny Alpha.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JohnW

Funt Solo

I also grew up with the Carlos-outlines, and like them. I can follow an argument that says good special effects aren't visible, but I also like artistic trademarks. It's not like I can argue with one of the absolute highlights of my childhood.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++