Main Menu

Thread moderating

Started by Dudley, 13 January, 2004, 04:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudley

This comes from a discussion on the "Few happy few" thread, where it was mentioned that there are too many off-topic posts.

I think tha problem is that on the threads where people are talking about "serious" 2KAD or general comics issues, there is a tendency for others to add in silly comments that steer the thread off-course too quickly.  (Guilty as charged, yer honour).

How about adding an option for some people to start "moderated" threads, whereby the original poster can vet others' posts before they appear on the board.  (Those with a profile?  People who've put up more than x number of posts?  Those who've been here a year or more?)

This wouldn't be a wholescale moderated board, which is the kiss of death.  People without the "power" to put up a moderated post would still be able to put up a thread.  It wouldn't kill the number of offtopic threads, but if you don't want to read them they're clearly defined.  What it should do is raise the level of serious comics-related discussion way above "IT SUCKS!/IT ROCKS!".

What do people think?  Is this even possible?

...Dudley

Matt Timson

Why don't we just get the Thought Police in instead?

Go and stand in the corner, Dudley.  Don't forget your special hat...
Pffft...

Oddboy

Not convinced it would be a good idea (and it would probably involve lots of re-coding)

Might be better if the the thread starter posts a message to the thread in question saying "GET BACK ON TOPIC, YOU FUNT-WIPES!"
Better set your phaser to stun.

Matt Timson

;)

There.  Now you can't even take offence!  You idiot.

:)
:)
Pffft...

Dudley

But, but, but...that's the beauty of the idea.  No central moderator getting power-happy or trying to steer the board in one direction.  No limit to the number of threads.  No limits to the topics that appear on the board.

Just something that eases the pain of the "serious" people who start decent interesting threads only to see them hijacked by completely irrelevant topics.

Giving people some power to keep the crap off threads that they have started and the results of which they find genuinely interesting - surely that's a good thing?

...Dudley

Mr C

What do I think?
It SUCKS!

But seriously, I don't like the idea of moderating threads, sounds too much like censorship to me. Part of the charm of this board is the fact that threads can wander back and forth so much.
And remeber, when you put up a new thread, you could always designate it a "off-topic".

If you really want a serious debate over the quality of a strip or the future of 2000AD, etc, then just put up a thread about it.

Art

Under Liberal Stalinism an easy and efficient system would be set up by which each post would be cleared with the Posting Comisariat, Posting Papers issued and stamped and then it would be retyped for posting by idealogically correct Posting Officials. It will be very quick and simple and should take no longer than a few days.

Slippery PD

As I made the point about off topics, perhaps I should elucidate (sp).

Maybe and as we are getting a change in this area anyway, we could have two message boards.  One for general and comic related stuff, one for off-topic.  Of course Im not for a rigid set of rules here, but it may be better to have the more obviuosly off topic stuff (eg Im a pikey and scotland are really crap at football) on another page of the board and this may assist on it being more user freindly.....

Ive seen it work on other boards, but Im not sure if it will work here.

Yer "its only a suggestion" Slips

Dudley

Liberal Stalinism would be avoided by allowing many many people the chance to put up a moderated thread.  Everyone's Stalin = no-one's Stalin.

...Dudley

Matt Timson

You can't stand in the way of evolution.  If a "John Wagner is ace" thread mutates into a "why I think jelly is vile" thread- then so be it.

It'll eventually mutate into something else after that anyway- which is what makes the place interesting.  This thread is a good example of a stupid idea evolving into an interesting topic of conversation- but for all the wrong reasons (as far as the originator of the thread is ((probably)) concerned).

Now then, Dud- you do know I'm only teasing you- right?

Is that hat on straight?  We want to see the big 'D'.

Pffft...

Wils

Also, the moderating *could* be abused, as in;

"That bastard [insert boarder's name here], who I hate/killed my puppy/slept with my wife/made me cry and wet my pants, has posted on *my* thread. I'm not having *that*." (Deletes post)

Dudley

JEB - guess who the other guy is, eh?http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/97apr/images/dunce.gif">

Matt Timson

I dunno- it can't be me because I'm much better looking and have more hair.  You definately look like you need a shave though...

Seriously- I like this place because we do all take the piss out of each other.  It took me ages to make that monkey ripping off heads pic- but it was worth it to me because I like the guys I was taking the piss out of*.

With the exception of Mongo and Chuckles- I don't waste my time making fun of people I don't like- I just ignore them.

Anyway- censorship bad- chaos good!

Matt

*except for Wils- he smells of wee wee...
Pffft...

Bony Fella

I have to say, that does sound like a pretty awful idea! Just because someone isn't being totally serious in a serious discussion, their opinions aren't posted? Can't be right. The point IS we all like being a wee bit odd and silly, but when it really matters we go all anoracky. It seems fine as it is to me...

Tanky

Censorship sucks. Start moderating and this irregular is off. IMHO the off-topic threads are salt of the board. Fair enough, the site is dedicated to tooth, and if i hadn't been a reader for 10 years or so, i wouldn't have bothered looking it up at all. But i personally find that a lot of the comic based threads are a little too in depth for me, sometimes intimidating (I did'nt wanna post on all that Siku's Dredd business for fear of being ostracised for example) and at times go right over my swede altogether.
 I don't think i'm the only poster who (unintentionally) sticks mostly to off-topic and generally comedy threads. It's these, i think, that give us all the best insight into the kind of quality people we have here.
This idea can only go horribly, horribly wrong.

Yours, representing all those comics fans who would rather see a monkey in a hat than discuss those little credit boxes (for example) xTGx