Main Menu

Some suggestions about this board

Started by Systematic, 05 April, 2004, 07:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quirkafleeg

The board has keep me buying tooth since I came back to it... think I might have ditched for at least some duff periods if it wasnt for this place

Wake

I hope I haven't been critical, that wasn't my intention.

No problem. What annoys me is when someone comes here and pretty much their first message is "Why don't you use ikonboard?" without actually saying what functionality they feel is missing. You've approached it from the opposite direction, saying what features you feel are missing before suggesting an alternative.

I have a problem with edit functions, because I feel that once something is said it shouldn't be possible to unsay it - except in extreme circumstances. While in principle I would allow an edit function for messages which have not yet been replied to, in practice this would impossible to code, since people might still be reading and replying to the unedited post, after the edit has been made.

Wake

ukdane

Emoticons - could be added but I'm only going to do this if someone can produce 2000AD specific emoticons. ukdane had a try but they weren't good enough to convey both emotion and 2000adness at a size no bigger than the icons (32x32 pixels)

I'd just like to point out, that IIRC it was my decision not to proceed with the emoticons I'd designed because at 16x16 they did look shit.
Trying to get Tharg to be expressive at this size is just too difficult. He's just too migthy for 16x16 (Oh, and his Rosette of Sirius means he's got a big head too!)
Cheers

-Daney

Art

Or "Why don't you throw it allaway and use UBB", that's a good one.

Max Kon

why not have it that only wake can change our posts if we ask him nicly and he thinks that its appropriate. e.g. incorrect subject of really bad spellings

-=>DEMONIZER<=-

Agree with Logan on the main points [how was the Cursed Earth by the way? ;)] -

No to new emoticons, which while attempting to convey "emotion" only really succeed in sitting there all sinister as everyone's posts start to look the same and glare at you with stupid bloody grins.

They're fine for private message conversations, and some of the adult ones are a right laugh, but here we should limit it to combos of what is available from the keyboard :)

Edits to posts is a step in the wrong direction too - in any shape or form. Only by making mastikes can we learn how to take more care and improve - at anything, ever.

This forum is basically fine the way it is.

(  o  )   (  o  )

[backslash]/

W. R. Logan

>Agree with Logan on the main points [how was the Cursed Earth by the way? ;)] -

Hot.

Had a spare evening the other night and came up with a new way to read the board and so far it seems to be working.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan

Mr C

The board's fine the way it is, only niggle is that because posting requires a new window (the little thumbs up guy)to load I can't post at work anymore because my computer's buggered up/been changed by my boss.
:(

Noisybast

"...wouldn't the task of a new message board be the responsibility of the owners of this site? Would that not be Rebellion?"

You have seen Rebellion's site, right?
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Noisybast

"Had a spare evening the other night and came up with a new way to read the board and so far it seems to be working."http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:GzKxDP1MfE0J:www.sd.polyu.edu.hk/gvds/info/glove_helmet.jpg">
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

UZI 4U

Systematic,hi! from a fellow newbie.Would just like to say that techy threads like this go straight over my head as a rule and theres my problem.As a cyber-thickie it's taken me this long to suss the board as it is! For Gruds sake don't talk anyone into changing stuff now or I'll be back to the chalk and slate again :)
 Yours neanderthally,Jim.

Max Kon

I'm a newbie to but luckly i'm a cyber wizard to the max and got how the board works quickly

moly

i think the board is great but it does seem to take a long time for the pages to refresh

stront692

i have suggested the edit function before, maybe we could have a 'short lead time' o editing posts

(thats the ability to edit posts within the first 2 minutes after posting)

failing that i think wake said he could do teh abilty to edit posts up until someone has replied to them??

Matt Timson

Wake, on the possibility of adding an edit function: "too much effot to add".

I like the man's honesty!  People expect too much for nothing these days.

When it isn't knee deep in tossers, this place is great as it is.  It *is* a bit weird at first- but at least it's distinct.  I like it- and Gary and Art both seem to like it as well.  Does anybody else's opinion actually matter?

;)

Pffft...