Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Oh and meant to add the boy asked as soon as it finshed - 'Why didn't they give Chewie a medal?'

He's a fanboy in the making!

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 07 June, 2020, 03:34:16 PM
Oh and meant to add the boy asked as soon as it finshed - 'Why didn't they give Chewie a medal?'

Am I misremembering,  or was this addressed in the original Thomas/Chaykin comic adaptation (which was everyone's main source of SW rewatches in the pre-video era)? The line I half-recall is "Few space-princesses are tall enough, Chewie will have to pin his medal on himself". I know he gets one in the ADF pre-novelisation. So for more than 40 years he always got one in my head!

So much of my thinking about SW comes from that Marvel series (well,  the B&W UK reprint), starting with either Goodwin or Thomas editorial tagline "the greatest space fantasy of them all! " which disabused me of any idea that this was SF like 2001, Silent Running or Close Encounters,  and the restatement that this was a civil war, something only the opening crawl had ever touched on.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 June, 2020, 04:35:50 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 07 June, 2020, 03:34:16 PM

Am I misremembering,  or was this addressed in the original Thomas/Chaykin comic adaptation (which was everyone's main source of SW rewatches in the pre-video era)? The line I half-recall is "Few space-princesses are tall enough, Chewie will have to pin his medal on himself". I know he gets one in the ADF pre-novelisation. So for more than 40 years he always got one in my head!

What do you take me for - I showed him my reprints of that very thing!

TordelBack

How could I ever doubt you!  Did i remember a-right?

Colin YNWA

Yep - almost word perfect

TordelBack

Mmmm, that's a juicy page!  Is that a recoloured collection, or just remastered?  Rather fancy that.

Incredibly I only own a few tattered issues of the Marvel UK floppies (lost in the attic somewhere) that my friends and I mercilessly spindled, folded and mutilated one long summer, having sold the rest in aid of the WWF ( non-wrestling version)

Colin YNWA

Its the Dark Horse collections from a few years back now. Not the one's with computer remastered art. The first volume was called Doomworld and there's 7 in the series. Recommend them - even with all the reprints that Marvel have done never really considered replacing these.

Just want the Boy child to read them but still can't get him to... yet...

TordelBack

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 June, 2020, 05:37:31 PM
To eBay it is, so...

You do digital don't you? Literally just seen - while watching PJs drawing show - so much fun - that Comixology have these in Epic Collections in digital sale - each Epic Collection is £6.39 each have the first 4 up. Seems good value and looks like art is original colours too - though only a very quick look.

TordelBack

Those are mighty tempting! Amazing how good those old colours look.  I haven't ventured into buying digital collections before, but maybe now's the time.  Cheers, Mr.  YNWA.  Best of luck heading  back to the real world tomorrow.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

The recent Marvel Epic Collections are spectacular too. I spent the first part of lockdown reading the first volume (the movie adaptation and all those stories of Jaxxon the rabbit, the pirates/ dragonriders on the water world and the cyborg bounty hunter, as well as the Pizzazz magazine stories (and the episodes previously printed only in Star Wars Weekly). They were ALL gorgeous, nostalgic and I loved the whole book.

Well, the Pizzazz stories were a bit pants, but the rest was great.

SBT

pictsy

Rat Race

The thing that made me nearly wet myself was the kid at the end exclaiming with joyous surprise "It's Smashmouth!"  They also sung their Mystery Men song.  The film is watchable, I guess.  It is not particularly funny.  Rowan Atkinson shining the brightest with his psuedo Mr Bean thing. 

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 June, 2020, 04:35:50 PMAm I misremembering,  or was this addressed in the original Thomas/Chaykin comic adaptation (which was everyone's main source of SW rewatches in the pre-video era)? The line I half-recall is "Few space-princesses are tall enough, Chewie will have to pin his medal on himself". I know he gets one in the ADF pre-novelisation. So for more than 40 years he always got one in my head!

Oddly enough, until Dark Horse reprinted it, the 3 page short epilogue was a Marvel UK exclusive to pad out the weekly.

That Marvel UK content got collected a few years ago in a massive 800 page book.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Collection-Omnibus-Legends/dp/1302908200

Keef Monkey

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, which I enjoyed more than I expected. The original JP still lives in my memory as one of the (if not THE) definitive cinema trips of my youth (along with the holiday spent being absolutely gripped by the novels) but haven't found any of the sequels memorable, with the last Jurassic World being the weakest of all for me so was a bit surprised I liked this one.

It's a decent adventure film with some cool moments and a decent popcorn muncher. Still not even close to recapturing the JP experience, but I'm coming to terms with the fact that I'll probably never like anything that much again because I'm not a kid anymore.

Oh and Coco, which is great. Looks lovely and has a very touching story (and yes, I cried a little).

pictsy

The Wave

Hey, it's Justin Long.  I remember him.
The overall message of The Wave came across as hollow more than it ordinarily might due to... well... everything in 2020.  As a very bright spotlight highlights the various disparities and inequalities, being told [spoiler]that the universe just wants to find a balance[/spoiler] is laughable.  It's cute, but laughable.  That's pretty much my criticism of the film.  Despite being trite and surface level it was pretty good.  There are some really interesting effects that have left an impression and give the film some memorable moments.  I ended up enjoying it and I'm glad I watched it.