Main Menu

I want to buy a new GN at lunchtime - Advise please

Started by WoD, 02 December, 2003, 05:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoD

The last GN I bought was 'Y the last man' cause of some advice from the board.  Also picked up something called Palastine, interesting art, something a bit different.  I could do with something new to read, and I could do with some advice / recommendations.

I have the odd 'classic' like Watchmen, early Hitmans, a couple of Batman classic stories, etc., but I fancy something different.

Any advice?  I have 80 minutes (ish) before I leave for Lunch.

Cheers,
WoD

GordonR

`HIghly recommend Greg Rucka's QUEEN & COUNTRY series of colllctions, from Oni Press.

Robson72

See if you can pick up Hellboy: Seed of Destruction or Crimson by Humberto Ramos or 30 Days of Night by Niles and Templeton they are all good reads and not your normal 'Superman Saves the World' type stuff.

You say you have got some classic Batman, if that includes The Dark Knight Returns then good, if not then that IS the GN that you should be buying today.

Krustabi

I recommend V for Vendetta if you don't already have this. Otherwise get some Preacher.

WoD

Yeah, got Dark Night Returns and all the Hellboy stuff (which are beautiful works).

Keep em coming please.

Robson72

Batman: The Long Halloween its a good read and the art is perfect for the story.

Or you might like to try Camelot 3000, its old and you might have difficulty getting hold of it but its good and 'legendary'.

Smiley

Fun With Milk And Cheese

Luther Arkwright

Dunk!

If you want something humorous I recommend The Adventures of Barry Ween, Boy Genius by Judd Winick (sp?)

The art can be a little crude and the premise isn't original - Jimmy Neutron and Dexter's Lab covering the same ground - but I found it very funny. It's a refreshing change from dark brooding superheroes and gothic Buffy cash-ins.

The collected Soulwind by Scott Morse is also a fantastic. A great tale involving gods of the earth and Excalibur and space ships and eastern philosophy - but it's not very wordy so you might skip through it and feel you haven't got your monies worth.
"Trust we"

JamieB

It's not exactly a barrel of laughs, but you can do a LOT worse than art spiegelman's MAUS, which is now available in a complete edition.

If you've not read the two TOP TEN trades, do so immediately.

Otherwise, pretty much echo other recommendations, especially Gordon's - QUEEN AND COUNTRY is probably the best monthly comic available right now.

J-Bo-1

WoD

Didn't someone mention Top Ten as being good on a previous thread or in the chat?

Dunk!

If you don't have them then the two Top Ten collections are arguably the best collected GN's published this year.

Off topic but does this board's illustrious Gordon write The Authority at the mo?
"Trust we"

GordonR

>>Off topic but does this board's illustrious Gordon write The Authority at the mo?

No, that would be Robbie Morrison.

- Gordon, happy not to claim any credit for a book that seems to be going down in flames.  But wishing that weird rumour of a year or two ago about him allegedly being the ghost-writer on Queen & Country had been true.

Dunk!

Apologises.

For getting you mixed up with someone else and also The current run of The Authority which -though i have nothing to do with and only read the first two - i feel needs apologies at every turn.
"Trust we"

DavidXBrunt

You could do worse than Fables or Sandman.

WoD

OK,
I'm off for an early lunch, I will be trying to find;

Queen and Country or Top Ten or Fables (or maybe V for Vendetta).

Thanks all.