Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

X-Men First Class. It was all a bit dull really. Can't summon up the energy to be bothered about it one way or the other.

Keef Monkey

Red State, the only thing I knew going in was that it was a Kevin Smith film and as such it really wasn't what I expected. At all. Pretty good, with some really unexpectedly horrific moments and some really unexpectedly funny moments and a really brilliant performance from John Goodman. I'd like to see Smith do more of this sort of thing.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 28 April, 2012, 05:47:45 PM
X-Men First Class. It was all a bit dull really. Can't summon up the energy to be bothered about it one way or the other.

I derive some amusement in pointing out that the first we see of Chuck X he's living in luxury while America is starving and Europe is in flames, then the next time we see him he's in Poshbridge University For Toffs using his powers to trick women into sleeping with him and for some reason the film never once lets us question that this guy - and his philosophy of "stay in the closet, don't make waves" - is the person who should be in charge and not someone who lived through the Holocaust and now hunts genocidal super-powered Nazis for a living (and who tells people they have nothing to be ashamed of just because of the way they were born).  Chuck seriously spends two hours telling a jewish guy to get over the Holocaust already, but when Erik accidentally causes Chuck to be hurt chuck is all "this is all your fault I HATE YOU!  No, I don't care that you're sorry, go on, piss off, I don't need you."  And the film still paints him as being in the right, despite failing to practice what he's been preaching for the entire time he's known Erik.

It's a spectacularly incompetent bit of character-building, but on the plus side it at least detracts from the film's message that rich white American conservatives are our natural superiors.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professah Byah on 28 April, 2012, 08:50:58 PM
but on the plus side it at least detracts from the film's message that rich white American conservatives are our natural superiors.

or just rich white Americans.

SOX & FONY would be better off selling Marvel's characters back to them or at least giving Marvel creative control while they just distribute.

Richmond Clements

Quotethen the next time we see him he's in Poshbridge University For Toffs using his powers to trick women into sleeping with him

Yeah that bothered me. Well, not bothered as such, I thought it was a potentially interesting character arc they could have taken him on, but they decided to ignore it completely.
Magneto was certainly the one with the most compelling argument here, but I think much of that was down to the brilliant Fassbender rather than any sort of competence in the writing.

For example: Beats come up with [spoiler]a cure for the his mutation[/spoiler] that would... erm... [spoiler]make him look 'normal', but still let him keep his powers... now, maybe I'm missing something here, but aren't his big feet PART of his power? I'd like to see him climbing on buildings and stuff with yer ordinary human feet.[/spoiler]

And there you go, you got me talking about it..!

JOE SOAP

If they'd ditched all the boring secondary mutants -a flaw the other X films suffer- they could have had a proper film with enough time for the real characters.

It's like trying to make the Avengers every time they do an X-Men film.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 28 April, 2012, 09:41:16 PM
If they'd ditched all the boring secondary mutants -a flaw the other X films suffer- they could have had a proper film with enough time for the real characters.

Yup. That whole 'let's give each other cool names!' scene was very annoying. Why the flip spend time introducing these characters and then not use them, or worse, use them badly?
I mean, can someone please explain to me why exactly the [spoiler]fairy winged girl[/spoiler] and [spoiler]Mystique[/spoiler] decided to side with the 'bad guys'?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 28 April, 2012, 09:44:26 PM

I mean, can someone please explain to me why exactly the [spoiler]fairy winged girl[/spoiler] and [spoiler]Mystique[/spoiler] decided to side with the 'bad guys'?

Cause Fassbender's an absolute ride.

Roger Godpleton

I enjoyed seeing January Jones's movie career figuratively dying in front of our eyes as she spent the entire movie looking like someone was farting in her stupid face.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 28 April, 2012, 09:46:00 PM
she spent the entire movie looking like someone was farting in her stupid face.

Fassbender too.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 28 April, 2012, 09:45:59 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 28 April, 2012, 09:44:26 PM

Cause Fassbender's an absolute ride.

Fair dos.

Roger Godpleton

Wasn't originally supposed to just be the Magneto origin story? If it had been 100 minutes of Fassbender owning Nazis it would have been one of the greatest movies of all time.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 28 April, 2012, 09:54:39 PM
Wasn't originally supposed to just be the Magneto origin story? If it had been 100 minutes of Fassbender owning Nazis it would have been one of the greatest movies of all time.

True dat.
His Jimmy Bond as a superhero bits were cool.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 28 April, 2012, 09:54:39 PM
If it had been 100 minutes of Fassbender owning Nazis it would have been one of the greatest movies of all time.

True, isn't that basically what Tarantino almost did.

Roger Godpleton

Tarantino put him in the same scene as Post-Love Guru Mike Myers, though.