Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Tiplodocus

Star Wars Schmar Wars.

Spurned on by a lcip of Ornella Muti on Film 2012 and Brian Blessed dressed as Santa on one of the music channels today, I am about to sit down and watch FLASH GORDON with Tiny Tips.  The fact that he's twelve and not so tiny these days should mean he's the perfect "She's making me feel funny" age for this. 
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Spikes

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 16 December, 2012, 06:29:07 AM
Is 'The Whole Bloody Affair' an officiual title for such a thing or fan talk for it?

Both it would seem. The original Cannes cut has had a limited cinema release in the US, and contains minor differences, but releasing that along with some decent extras wouldnt go amiss.
Bit more info - here.

Spikes

And double post as for some reason in my original post i couldnt include two quotes... :-\

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 16 December, 2012, 12:12:57 PM
Soylent Green in the cinema.

Now that would be brilliant to see in the cinema. Even better would be to see that and the Omega Man as a double bill.
What cinema was showing Soylent Green, Richmond?

Charlie boy

The control panel of Ming's deadly machine is brilliant. The list of options go something like typhoon, earthquake, tsunami, hailstones. While Flash is preparing to take off, you have this natural disaster taking place and then it dies down to be replaced with hailstones that bring it all to a gentle finish. Plus you have Dalton's immortal [spoiler]the bloody bitch[/spoiler] line to look forward to.

Richmond Clements

QuoteWhat cinema was showing Soylent Green, Richmond?

Was on at my local art house cinema. They are have a great range of movies on. Missed Silent Running last week...

Hawkmumbler

Watched Pulp Fiction last night as part of my Tarantino BD collection. It's stunning as ever, and a true corner stone in cinema history.

von Boom

Quote from: Big Barry PengeBack on 16 December, 2012, 02:44:53 PM
Quote from: Judge von Boom on 16 December, 2012, 02:11:10 PM
The Hobbit. I might go see it again today.

Any thoughts, VB?

I simply do not want to inadvertently spoil the film for anyone that hasn't seen it yet, but I will say that I think Tolkein fans will not be disappointed. I was worried that turning The Hobbit into three films would have too much in the way of filler, but now I'm excited that there will be two more films.

The casting is pretty much spot on and I won't say any more on that.

I didn't get to see the film again yesterday, but I will definitely see it again soon.

Professor Bear

Elfie Hopkins, which is probably nowhere near being the worst film ever made, even though by all rational standards of evaluation it should be.  It's so badly written and acted that most scenes are just unintentionally unsettling, with characters spouting exposition - sometimes straight-up just stating what archetype they are - to the point that in my mind I could see the director, in his one moment of clarity during production, seeing his cast trying to express their thin stereotypes through mannerisms and subtlety and then saying "no.  Just say you're a dad who's frustrated with his daughter, out loud.  To be sure, say it twice."  So they do.  Jaime Winstone playing a teenager HAHAHAHAHA is an indicator that this may have started life as a one-off play for CBeebies, which would also explain why the plot feels like the gory bits were tacked on in place of the original reveal where the evil family were smuggling animals or something.

It is dreadful.

There were some trailers at the start of it, too, for films I now know for a certainty that I will never, ever watch called THE MAN INSIDE and VICTIM, and they look appalling, a collage of familiar images that say nothing about the film even when throwing huge catchphrases at the viewer like he must face his past.  Making good trailers really is a lost art.

Spikes

I Am Legend.
Always end up watching this when its on telly. Always end up wishing it was a better film.
Talk of a sequel doesnt seem to be going away either.

Tiplodocus

FLASH gordon was, indeed, awesome.

I think it benefits from being entirely sure of its target audience when it starts.

And I had forgotten quite how many withdrawals from the wank bank were caused by Ornella Muti.

Hey, I just wrote three sentences about Flash Gordon and didn't use the word camp.

Damn!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Charlie boy

You didn't mention the hot-pants they force him to wear for his execution, neither. That bewildered me last time I watched it.

Professor Bear

The Bourne Legacy - what a load of of old fupping bollocks.
A film made entirely on the understanding that it doesn't need a beginning or end and can survive entirely upon residual goodwill for what precedes it.  Nothing more than setup for the next two films, nothing of consequence happens to the characters, nor do we get any insight to who they may be or what motivates them, though my bullshit detector should have been more on the ball with a film where people go around telling other people their own jobs and what motivates them in life and why.  "You are the director of the Central Intelligence Agency" is one of the first spoken lines of dialog in the film, another character Basils with "I am a phd chemist with a degree in chemical engineering and a doctorate in theoretical " oh fuck off, piece of shit script.
It is an action film so naturally the cameraman has Parkinson's and the editor has drank so much Red Bull he cuts a shot of Hawkeye putting on a jacket from three separate angles, but there is at least one decent shot in the whole film - a single tracking shot of a character scaling the side of a house and jumping in a window, but that is pretty much it.  I suspect the director was off the set and an intern decided to have some fun - it is the only explanation that makes any sense in the context of this awful film.

qtwerk

It's A Wonderful Life

Shamefully, i had never seen it before. Absolutely brilliant. Very surprising and strange in some ways, too

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Professor Bear on 19 December, 2012, 08:03:17 PM
The Bourne Legacy - what a load of of old fupping bollocks.

What I found particularly baffling about it was the fact that they made repeated references to what Jason Bourne was doing concurrently with the events in the film, essentially saying the audience: "There's an actual Jason Bourne story going on at the same time as this one, but we're showing you this story, in which you have investment, instead..."

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.