Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mogzilla

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 15 May, 2014, 04:05:02 PM
It was partly the voice, and partly the fact that nobody ever acknowledged his massive papier-mache bonce. As he capered about a stage I would think 'What is wrong with that man's head?! Am I the only one seeing this?!'

I was convinced he was paul crone
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

mogzilla

...and I have just watched "wolverine: xmen origins" despite many bad reviews I didn't think it too bad,not one for the collection but ok.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

JamesC

X Men Origins: Wolverine is a fun film. Its a bit silly in places but Jackman's always entertaining in the role and there are some good action sequences.

SmallBlueThing

Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones

Or: The one designed to appeal to ethnic audiences, after the previous four PAs were deemed to not be reaching that particular section of the paying public. Also: The one before Paranormal Activity 5.

Despite the trailers stressing this would be "Paranormal Activity In Da Hood", this concerns itself with a Spanish speaking family living in an apartment complex somewhere not as sumptuous and lovely as the previous films. If you were under the impression this was making a clean break from the "mythos" of the ongoing series, [spoiler]you would be very mistaken[/spoiler], as it turns out that this may be [spoiler]the single most central and important in the story so far.[/spoiler]

I have no idea if anyone is following the story- I must admit I only have bits of it in my head, as the movies are too far apart and too similar to really stick, beyond their immediate appeal- but there's this coven of witches who have been facilitating the possession of characters  by a demon throughout PA1-4. The Marked Ones goes into this in some depth, as the main character [spoiler]gains superpowers and becomes progressively more evil[/spoiler] as it unfolds.

Two interesting elements here- the first is [spoiler]time-travel, allowing the characters to get pulled into a labyrinth of intertwining previous plots[/spoiler], and the second is the (over?) use of sudden shocks. There seemed to be more this time around, and one at least was successful enough to cause my wife to scream like a big girl. While it takes longer than usual to get going, I have to admit I found this to be the most satisfying of any of the PAs, at least since the first. I had this down as probably the "inessential" installment- designed to appeal to an audience perhaps not attracted to the previous ones, and instead all it did was get me keyed-up for the upcoming PA5.

As I say, while they don't really offer much in the way of re-watch potential (except maybe when or if the whole story is told) they never fail to entertain and scare me in the immediate act of watching them. Your mileage, as ever, may vary.

SBT

Professor Bear

Quote from: mogzilla on 17 May, 2014, 12:10:33 AM
...and I have just watched "wolverine: xmen origins" despite many bad reviews I didn't think it too bad,not one for the collection but ok.

I didn't enjoy Wolverine: Origins much, but I've never understood why so many people absolutely hated it rather than just didn't think it was much cop.  It isn't a good film, I certainly cede that much, but some of the bile towards it seems disproportionate.

The tie-in videogame was great fun, though.

JamesC

Quote from: Professor Bear on 17 May, 2014, 02:29:08 PM
Quote from: mogzilla on 17 May, 2014, 12:10:33 AM

I didn't enjoy Wolverine: Origins much, but I've never understood why so many people absolutely hated it rather than just didn't think it was much cop.  It isn't a good film, I certainly cede that much, but some of the bile towards it seems disproportionate.

The tie-in videogame was great fun, though.

I think it's to do with the handling of Deadpool (who I think is a shite character anyway).

TordelBack

Kick-Ass 2:  That was actually really good fun.  Abandoning its real-world premise almost from the start meant  the film felt more consistent than the first one (which performs a distracting volte face halfway through), and when Mindy starts displaying genuinely superhuman abilities (as opposed to movie-grade kung-fu) it doesn't feel that odd.  The oddly skimmed-over bit with Night Bitch in the middle was the only duff note for me, but at least it seemed like everyone involved was embarrassed by it.

Loved Mother Russia to bits - hard to believe that's Olga Kurkulina's first acting role: she should be in all films.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Um, what?....You OK Tordleback? You need to see the doctor?
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

TordelBack

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 18 May, 2014, 05:14:13 PM
Um, what?....You OK Tordleback? You need to see the doctor?

If you refer to my love of Mother Russia, that is genuine and heartfelt: my favourite new movie character of the year (my year, that is), just ahead of Lego Batman.  I was smiling the whole time she was on the screen.  I thought Olga Kurkulina was like a human version of Brigitte Nielsen, and for someone who apparently couldn't speak English and had never acted before she was bloody brilliant.

If you mean the fact that I liked the film more than the first one, well, it's well established that I have terrible taste in everything except women.

Keef Monkey

Godzilla, which I found really disappointing. It has its moments (by far the best of which we already saw in the first trailer, diminishing the impact somewhat) but I thought it was for the most part all tease and no trousers. For a film about giant monsters fighting and demolishing cities it was the one thing I never expected it to be - it was just a bit dull.

GrinningChimera

Easy Rider

What the hell happened at the end!

I was like oh yeah this is great and all that and then [spoiler]BOOM! And everyone's dead[/spoiler]

Not how I was expecting it to end at all. A great movie though. And I understand they used real weed too.

If anyone hasn't seen it, I recommend getting it. I can certainly see why it has it's classic film status.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: GrinningChimera on 19 May, 2014, 01:41:38 AM
Easy Rider

One of the greatest starts to a movie of all time in my opinion.

Yep, and the end. The blew it indeed.

JamesC

The Amazing Spider Man 2

I really enjoyed it. There's lots going on but I think it all comes together pretty well. The performances are all strong apart from Harry Osborne who chews the scenery a bit.
Solid effort.

von Boom

One third of Anchorman 2.

I was trapped on a flight yesterday and decided to give this a try. Unmitigated shite. Thank Grud for the stop button.

Fortunately they had Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa. Watched that to sooth my ire.

NapalmKev

Quote from: von Boom on 20 May, 2014, 11:35:23 AM
One third of Anchorman 2.

I was trapped on a flight yesterday and decided to give this a try. Unmitigated shite. Thank Grud for the stop button.

Fortunately they had Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa. Watched that to sooth my ire.

Alpha Papa is excellent.

I watched 'The Other Guys' last night. For a buddy-buddy cop movie I thought it Absolutely hilarious. I was laughing hard pretty much all the way through!

cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"