Main Menu

Day Of Chaos finale

Started by vzzbux, 12 March, 2012, 01:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BPP

Surely none of this stuff will get touched in a significant way other than by Wagner tho. I mean sure there could be 3-4 parters with a 'block justice' concepts but there is nothing to suggest that Wagner isn't still going to be doing the big reforms later down the track. I'd imagine a whole heap of existing scripts are being tweaked for the 'apres moi, la deluge' situation of the city but the overall reforms? Got to be on hold till Wagners next flurry.   
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

JOE SOAP

Quote from: BPP on 01 July, 2012, 04:22:32 PM
Surely none of this stuff will get touched in a significant way other than by Wagner tho. I mean sure there could be 3-4 parters with a 'block justice' concepts but there is nothing to suggest that Wagner isn't still going to be doing the big reforms later down the track. I'd imagine a whole heap of existing scripts are being tweaked for the 'apres moi, la deluge' situation of the city but the overall reforms? Got to be on hold till Wagners next flurry.   

To quote Sir Bikini:

Quote from: bikini kill on 01 July, 2012, 12:53:29 PM

Hershey, with her reforming tendencies is an un-elected, interim Capo; after The Not-Wagners have had their Summer of fun playing in the ruins and chaos of the post-bellum Meg, who knows who'll be in charge, how they'll get there, or what measures they'll deem necessary to bring

Frank

Quote from: BPP on 01 July, 2012, 04:22:32 PM

Arise, Lord Soap.

I'm not sure how much influence Wagner had on Ennis's Twilght's Last Gleaming (754-756)- the resolution to the popular referendum on the rule of the Judges began by Wagner's own Better The Devil You Know (750-753)- but that story displayed a healthy scepticism concerning the popular enthusiasm for, and the limits of, democracy.

Even if Dredd and Hershey see a popular mandate as the only way to restore the legitimacy of the Justice System, I'm not certain that's the way the storyline will play out once Wagner retakes the throne. Should make for some brilliant storylines and allow other writers to stretch their wings in the meantime, though.

vzzbux

The rebuilding of the meg could easily go on unnoticed and happen pretty quickly. With an abundance of an automated work force a localised area could soon be established within a couple of years.
Joe Soap linked a site on another thread showing a thirty storey building being built from scratch in 15 days.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: vzzbux on 01 July, 2012, 10:11:23 PM

Joe Soap linked a site on another thread showing a thirty storey building being built from scratch in 15 days.

You mean this:

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 01 July, 2012, 08:23:33 PM
PEACH TREES here we come!

vzzbux

Drokking since 1972

Frank

Quote from: vzzbux on 01 July, 2012, 10:11:23 PM
The rebuilding of the meg could easily go on unnoticed and happen pretty quickly. With an abundance of an automated work force a localised area could soon be established within a couple of years.

Hope not. There's the potential to tell interesting and very different stories in the interim.

Soap's fascinating and unbelievable video, without the encumberance of the pretty peach and black link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdpf-MQM9vY&feature=player_embedded

vzzbux

It they eventually let muties into the academy (when it gets rebuilt) it will be a bastard as each individual mutation will have to be tailored for uniformally. A logistical nightmare.

V
Drokking since 1972

Skullmo

Quote from: bikini kill on 01 July, 2012, 05:05:33 PM
Arise, Lord Soap.

I'm not sure how much influence Wagner had on Ennis's Twilght's Last Gleaming (754-756)- the resolution to the popular referendum on the rule of the Judges began by Wagner's own Better The Devil You Know (750-753)- but that story displayed a healthy scepticism concerning the popular enthusiasm for, and the limits of, democracy.

Even if Dredd and Hershey see a popular mandate as the only way to restore the legitimacy of the Justice System, I'm not certain that's the way the storyline will play out once Wagner retakes the throne. Should make for some brilliant storylines and allow other writers to stretch their wings in the meantime, though.

As far as I understand it Wagner plotted Twilight.
It's a joke. I was joking.

JayzusB.Christ

Day of Chaos, eh?  Like Dante, it took me a long time to get into, but like Dante, Jesus, it's been good.  The most impressive aspect:  Dredd lost.  After saving his city almost singlehandedly an improbable number of times, this time he's been well and truly 'pwned', as the kids say. 
Reminds me of the end of the Sin City storyline with Orlok; I always like a brooding and thoughtful Dredd.  He's not the cold-blooded tough guy of the Apocalypse War or the wise-cracking smart-arse of the Daily Star any more.  Hats off, as always, to John Wagner; managing character development after 35 (I think?) years writing the same character.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JOE SOAP

A pertinent interview with T.B Grover from the 1983 Judge Dredd annual.

By eustacefargo at 2012-07-07

maryanddavid

Who could doubt Wagner. I loved it.
It has set up so many storylines for the future, as TB says the infrastructure is basically all still there, who will move into the City, muties are the obvious choice.
The academy is gone, but with some cadets surviving, will robots fill the void again? Or will the cloning program get busy.
Hershey as inteim CJ, will Dredd finally take the hot seat.
Will there be another threat of invasion for the East, now that the meg is at its lowest.
PJ, the Dark Judges, Rico, Vinenna etcetcetc Dredd has never been better.

David

Frank

I think this is what the late TB Grover was trying to say:

WARNING: MAY CONTAIN THE PHRASE 'TIPPING POINT'

a chosen rider

Quote from: maryanddavid on 07 July, 2012, 11:56:46 AMThe academy is gone, but with some cadets surviving, will robots fill the void again? Or will the cloning program get busy.

The thread about Dredd's age veering off topic into Fargo clones reminded me that there were two new ones being grown when Rico dropped by in Tour of Duty.  Little 'Oric' and his brother would presumably have been freshly out of the vats and physically five or six when the Academy was attacked.  Lots of story potential in the question of what happened to them...

Huh, and looking that up to check I found there was a line I'd forgotten about Hershey having significantly accelerated the cloning program while she was in office, so I guess she'd be in favour of making more.  (I'm always surprised that we haven't seen Anderson clones, actually, unless I've missed some somewhere.  Has there ever been anything said about whether it's possible to clone Psis?  I guess that psychic connection Dredd has with his bloodline might become a bigger issue if the clones are telepathic to begin with.)
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

Skullmo

I hope Mrs Gunderson is ok.
It's a joke. I was joking.