Main Menu

This is the News!

Started by Funt Solo, 28 March, 2022, 05:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

The oligarchs were never a good sign, because most Russians still remained poor, with the wealth being concentrated in a few hands at the top, generating resentment and cynicism about the alleged benefits of democracy.

Dandontdare

Funt Solo

Ain't that the truth!

One daily challenge I have - given that I consume so much news - is trying to share something upbeat with the family so that I'm not just interminably gloomy and depressing. So, yeah - the end is nigh, but is there any good news out there?

This may not seem, on the surface, like good news, but the article is less damning than the headline: Moon Knight review: This Marvel show has no reason to exist
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Barrington Boots

I'm onboard for the sharing of positive news stories!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

Funt Solo

Me am ignorant, because in the article it says "[the SLS] was designed to be more powerful than the Apollo Saturn vehicles of the late 1960s and early 1970s", but then in the chart (below) it seems like the Saturn is the more powerful payload lifter. I must be missing something.

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Definitely Not Mister Pops

SLS Block 2 will be more powerful. Block 1 is a test/proof of concept vehicle. I think its made from left over bits of the space shuttles and the like.
You may quote me on that.

Richmond Clements

Watched this unfold in real-time on social media. This was five minutes from our house. Modern media is strange.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-60949605

Funt Solo

Pretty rare for that sort of carry on up in the Schneck.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Funt Solo on 01 April, 2022, 03:31:20 PM
Pretty rare for that sort of carry on up in the Schneck.

Indeed! The footage (online if you look, I'll not link here) of him running at the police is pretty frightening. Can you imagine being an INverness cop, used to speeding and shooing ducks snd sheep off the roads, then getting a call to say a guy had set his flat on fire and was now standing outside with a couple of knifes - go and sort it mate, eh?

Funt Solo

Oh, man! I hope everyone's okay - including the perp, who probably doesn't have all his marbles.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Funt Solo on 01 April, 2022, 04:52:01 PM
Oh, man! I hope everyone's okay - including the perp, who probably doesn't have all his marbles.

I suspect he was a very ill man, yeah. There's no further news as yet though.

Funt Solo

On balance, I *think* this counts as good news: Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak fined over lockdown parties.

Every little helps.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

M.I.K.

I was having a conversation with my brother a couple of days ago about how it was a bit weird seeing Boris strolling along the streets of Kyiv when he'd been sneaking out the back door of Bute House to avoid the scary Scottish protestors just 3 years ago, and how there must be a bit of news about to break that the tories really, really wanted to counterbalance/distract folk away from.

JayzusB.Christ

Not that his heroic war efforts will help any Ukrainian refugees, who cartoon villain Priti Patel wants to be sent to a distant dictatorship. Or is this just a bit of red meat to distract from the fact that the UK is being led by proven law-breakers and liars?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"