Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

Neon Genesis Evangelion was fun.  I like it a lot more after watching those two shows.  Made more sense.

I didn't get on with SDFM because I couldn't stand the characters.  I didn't get on with MSG because I couldn't stand the characters and the show was promoting some really shitty attitudes - I actually read about what goes on later in the series and it was definitely not going to get better in that regard.

I always assumed other series had different characters, or different portrayals and perhaps explored different ideas and attitudes.

Doomlord66

Quote from: Angry Vince on 16 March, 2024, 06:08:05 PMLoving the new series of Shogun - amazing sets, great writing and more Toranaga-focused.

I'm looking forward to watching this after I've finished The Gentlemen. I fondly remember watching the 1970's Shogun series with Richard Chamberlain as a youngster. I picked up the dvd boxset of this a couple of years ago for a nostalgia trip but never got round to watching it. Now I'm torn with what to do, whether to rewatch the original first then the new one or just watch the new one. Would it spoil my enjoyment of the new one? Would the extra wait be agony or knowing there is a new spoil the enjoyment of the original?

I agree with the post about Masters of the Air, it is difficult to follow at first with all the characters we're introduced to but as the episodes go on, we lose a lot and I think this was the point to show how many losses were suffered and all flight crew were at risk.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Doomlord66 on 25 March, 2024, 11:07:11 PMWould it spoil my enjoyment of the new one?

I can say I'm glad I didn't re-watch the Chamberlain Shogun prior to catching this new series, because I've forgotten the vast majority of the plot (beyond "white man in feudal Japan doesn't go swimmingly"), and so it's all beautifully fresh.

(Just finished The Gentlemen, which was good enough that I watched the entire series, but tonally all over the place.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: pictsy on 25 March, 2024, 06:35:20 PMI always assumed other series had different characters, or different portrayals and perhaps explored different ideas and attitudes.

It's...belaboured and complicated.
Basically the Universal Century is the 'prime' timeline. MSG, Zeta, ZZ and Chars Counterattack are basically one long story spread across a decade in universe and the cast is in constant flux.
0080: War in the Pocket, Gundam F91, 0083: Stardust Memory, Victory Gundam, 08th MS Team, Gundam Unicorn, Gundam Narrative and Gundam Hathaway (as well as the IGLOO series of event films) are all within the UC also but with different casts, though overlap does occur. Some of these are better than other but 08TH MS Team is genuinely fantastic and entirely self contained so maybe give that a shot if you're really interested? It's only 14 episodes long too.

Outside of that, well it gets more complicated (ESPECIALLY with Turn A Gundam and Reconguista in G, both of which take place within their own time lines but reference events of the UC...it gets weird, I'll leave it there).

Of all the alternative timeline entries I'd absolutely recommend the most recent, Witch from Mercury. It's super short at only 24 episodes across 2 seasons, super fun and charming and just...a lovely time really.

Oh and ah, one more thing.

Avoid Gundam Wing like the fucking plague.

pictsy

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 26 March, 2024, 09:24:52 PM
Quote from: pictsy on 25 March, 2024, 06:35:20 PMI always assumed other series had different characters, or different portrayals and perhaps explored different ideas and attitudes.

It's...belaboured and complicated.
Basically the Universal Century is the 'prime' timeline. MSG, Zeta, ZZ and Chars Counterattack are basically one long story spread across a decade in universe and the cast is in constant flux.
0080: War in the Pocket, Gundam F91, 0083: Stardust Memory, Victory Gundam, 08th MS Team, Gundam Unicorn, Gundam Narrative and Gundam Hathaway (as well as the IGLOO series of event films) are all within the UC also but with different casts, though overlap does occur. Some of these are better than other but 08TH MS Team is genuinely fantastic and entirely self contained so maybe give that a shot if you're really interested? It's only 14 episodes long too.

Outside of that, well it gets more complicated (ESPECIALLY with Turn A Gundam and Reconguista in G, both of which take place within their own time lines but reference events of the UC...it gets weird, I'll leave it there).

Of all the alternative timeline entries I'd absolutely recommend the most recent, Witch from Mercury. It's super short at only 24 episodes across 2 seasons, super fun and charming and just...a lovely time really.

Oh and ah, one more thing.

Avoid Gundam Wing like the fucking plague.

Thanks for the recommendations.  Next time I'm in the mood for some anime I'll give them a shot.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 26 March, 2024, 09:24:52 PMOutside of that, well it gets more complicated

Seriously?! I think I suffered a minor aneurysm halfway though the first paragraph...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 March, 2024, 08:25:45 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 26 March, 2024, 09:24:52 PMOutside of that, well it gets more complicated

Seriously?! I think I suffered a minor aneurysm halfway though the first paragraph...

Welcome to the wicky-wicky wild world of mecha shows, Jim.

Don't get me started on VOTOMS.