Main Menu

New Rebellion GNs

Started by JamieB, 29 May, 2003, 08:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oddboy

Jamie, any plans for more Digital Archives? (I'd REALLY like volume III)
Better set your phaser to stun.

JamieB

Not my remit, Odds, but I'll ask about.

Re: the other suggestions - please do keep 'em coming!

J-Bo-1

ukdane

J-BO,
Sorry, not meant to be "hostile". I just wanted a clarification (in my mind) of what you meant, and how you were going to go about it (out of curiosity).

I've made myself a promise not to buy things that are reprints of collections that I already have, so the hardbacks may not be of interest to mie in any case. The only one that bothers me a little is the fact that I already have Button Man 1 as a tpb (Kitchen Sink Press) so I'd like to see Button Man 2 & 3 as trades too.

As a suggestion, and as a tie-in with the recent Meg, how about a "Complete Revere" collection?

Oh, and I still look forward to a "Complete Adventures of PJ Maybe" :-)

With regards to the poll, that's fair enough, although I'd still be interested to see what people think/want, so maybe I'll do one myself.
Cheers

-Daney

Tu-plang

How would a 'Complete Revere' fit in with recent Megazines?

Agreed on PJ though. I seem to remember writing to the Meg about reprinting it when they were looking for reprint material a few years back and getting the usual 'no plans' from David Bishop.

ukdane

Well, there's a Bishop review of it in the current Meg, so that's how.
Cheers

-Daney

Tu-plang

Oh ok.  In Oz we're a few Megs behind.

JamieB

Hi, Dane

No problems re: previous posts :)

Re: Revere - it's a nice idea, but I'm working too far in advance to tie in with the feature articles in the Meg - and truth to tell, it's been a long, long time since I read it myself! As for the much-requested (by you!) PJ Maybe...well, maybe :P

J-Bo-1

IndigoPrime

Ooooh... Revere. I'd love to see that, and also Firekind.

As for hardback vs softback - I hate hardback with a passion. I don't see the point of upping the price for a slightly heavier book, but there you go. They always seem to fall apart a lot quicker than paperbacks, too.

My only concern about the current line-up is that people might see the prices of the H/B stuff and run a mile, whereas they'd have maybe bought a cheaper S/B. Oh well. Also, what's the crack with Dante? A few telephone directories, rapidly released would perhaps work for that, but if they're every six months or so (for a few years) I fear that we'll never see the final episodes collected...

Anyway, some suggestions:

The aforementioned Firekind (in the right order this time)
Revere (complete)
Stronty Dog (early, pre-2000AD stuff)
Luke Kirby (complete)
Abelard Snazz (including the one missed from Twisted Times)
Bix Barton
... and if someone can calm down Grant Morisson, the complete Zenith, all in one book, and including the stuff from annuals, etc.

JamieB

Have you got the GLIMMER RATS or RAIN DOGS books? Think of those, rather than any other hardbacks, cos that's the format these'll be in. And AFAIK, there aren't problems with them degrading.

Thanks for the suggestions. There's deffo gonna be an SD book next year, but contents are TBC.

J-Bo-1

John Caliber

If hardcovers have to be used [though I'd rather they were not], why not ditch the dust jacket and have a glossy hardcover instead? Dust jackets are obsolete now that the covers beneath can be designed with a gloss finish, preventing dust from getting into the older, fabric bindings that you see in second hand/antique bookshops. Dust jackets also tend to fray at the edges and tear when repeatedly pushed in among other volumes.

- John

Link: http://2kadpbem.20m.com/jd" target="_blank">Judge Dredd Justice Central

Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

Oddboy

If you don't have Rain Dogs or Glimmer Rats to think of, then think of Asterix books - they're that format.

Art

Or an old style annual. Only much, much thinner.

Noisybast

I realise you've had more that enough requests on this thread, but here's what I'd like to see:

"Proper" collections for the classic characters (ie Slaine, Strontium Dog, Nemesis, Rogue Trooper, Sam Slade) released on a book-by book basis (or two at a time for the prestige hardbacks a la "Death to All Aliens").

IMHO, the Slaine HB was marred by the fact that it was a bit piecemeal, taking bits & pieces from the whole pre-Bisley saga. I'd have preferred something that started from the beginning & worked right through over several books.

I think enough time has passed since the original Titan collections that people will want to buy them. Especially if there's some kind of bonus material DVD-stylee (design sketches, etc).

The Dante books sound promising, as I missed his inital outings, and would welcome the chance to catch up on the story so far.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Oddboy

Pretty much, as long as you start at the beginning and don't 'skip' any stories, then people will be happy.

Grant Goggans

(Replying to Noisybast)

There's no reason why a good hardback in this day and age can't reprint 25-30 episodes of classic thrills.  If it's a finite, contained series like Rain Dogs, then that's one thing.  But what I don't want to see are 48/64 page collections of classic thrills like Robo-Hunter or Strontium Dog.  There's no reason why those should scrimp on the page count.

I've already proposed some SD reprint suggestions on Diggle's forum; a Robo-Hunter "Volume 1" should contain *all* of Verdus (apx. 132 pages) plus whatever background stuff, covers, etc can be found.  Rogue Trooper "Volume 1" should contain the first 30 episodes up to the "All Hell on the DiX-1 Front" story.

Slaine is a little problematic:  there were 38 episodes in the first run, plus an Annual story.  "Volume 1" should contain everything from "The Time Monster" through "The Shoggey Beast" (22 episodes) and "Volume 2" should contain "Sky Chariots," "Dragonheist" and "The Battle of Clontarf" (17 episodes).  Pat Mills could probably be persuaded to contribute all sorts of research material as supplements.  (Ideally, all 39 episodes could be printed in one volume, but Rebellion may not find that cost-effective.)

The Nemesis "Death to All Aliens" book was super; the best thing Titan have ever done with 2000AD reprints.  A follow-up with Books III and IV would be fabulous.

Sinister Dexter is another good one which lends itself to reprints.  There are 25 episodes from its opening up to the episode "Headcase" from prog 1032, which would make a perfect break as the next story, "Murder 101," is a 12-parter.  That one should see print along with the following 13 episodes (through "Dead Cert," prog 1074) as Volume 2.

As for Nikolai Dante, I hope Volume 1 of that reprint series contains the first 25 episodes, from the beginning through "Moscow Duellists" (progs 1072-1075).

--Grant