Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

Dealing with a moth infestation here at Casa Boots. It turns out having a big pile of mouldering heavy metal t-shirts stored essentially on the floor is not best practice.

As a veggie and part-time hippy I try to avoid killing stuff but I've had to buy one of those horrible glue trap things and its rapildy filling up with tiny corpses.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

The Legendary Shark

I wonder if you could hire or buy a pet bat?

How's your tooth situation? Improving, I hope.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Barrington Boots

I love that idea. My cat is doing his best but he's a fairly incompetent little guy and doesn't eat as many moths as I'd like.

Tooth still fairly grievous, but thank you for asking! Only two weeks till it can come out.

JohnW

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 08 May, 2024, 03:08:21 PMI try to avoid killing stuff
Harden your heart.
When it comes to moths the chemical route is the only route.
Exterminate the little buggers without mercy or all your quality clobber is gone to dust.
Think of your tweeds and your broadcloths; your morning suits and your evening dress.
Think of your cravats!
Think of what Worcester society will say.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

The Legendary Shark

I always have a bottle of oil-of-cloves on hand whenever I feel a twinge coming on. Also, chewing raw garlic gets rid of infections but is as uncomfortable as Hell. Alcohol can also be a boon during such trying times :-D

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Barrington Boots

Luckily I have no quality clobber! Only piles of old Bolt Thrower and Entombed tshirts. Oh no wait, those are quality.
My initial glue trap seems to have winnowed out all the stupid months, as I replaced it with a fresh one and the moth survivors are carefully avoiding it.

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 08 May, 2024, 05:12:08 PMI always have a bottle of oil-of-cloves on hand whenever I feel a twinge coming on.

Funny you should mention this - my wife suggested oil of cloves when this first flared up and she of course had some in the house. I didn't know how much oil of cloves to put on, but I was feeling pretty sore so I rubbed quite a decent amount into my gum. Turned out not only does it taste vile, but in large amounts can cause ulcers like you've never seen. My gum split like overripe fruit and I had a new level of pain to worry about for a few days.