Main Menu

Life Spugs because...

Started by Dog Deever, 04 March, 2009, 08:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

Condolences on your loss CL. Best wishes in this terrible time.

Tjm86

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 16 January, 2019, 02:11:15 PM
Don't suffer in silence Cybes, please use this place to vent whenever you need to.

... and don't be afraid to ask for help.  If it possible to support, we'll manage it.

Hawkmumbler

I'm so terribly sorry CL, we're all here for you buddy.

flip-r mk2

Sorry for your loss CL my thoughts are with you at this time.

filippo
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

JayzusB.Christ

I'm really sorry to hear it, Cyberleader. Thoughts are with you
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Rogue Judge

My condolences Cyberleader, sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

paddykafka

Very sorry to hear of your loss, Cl, and sincere condolences.

Link Prime

Very sorry to hear about this CL2K.
Hopefully you have some support from family and friends and the situation with your brother is resolved.

Smith

I quit my job.I mean the place was falling apart,the money isnt as good as it used to be and people are leaving in droves...but honestly Im scared I was too impulsive.I dont have anything lined up and my stomach hurts when I think Im going to be asking for a job hat-in-hand.So im just walking around the flat and trying to think. :-(

The Legendary Shark

You'll be right, Smith. I've walked out of loads of jobs in my time - there's always another.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Smith

Thanks,Sharky.That actually means a lot.

von Boom

It must have been awful for you to force you to quit Smith. Hope something great for you comes along.

Smith

Quote from: von Boom on 20 February, 2019, 04:20:48 PM
It must have been awful for you to force you to quit Smith. Hope something great for you comes along.
Thanks.
It would be unfair to say it was the worst place around,but like I said,it became obvious that the end is near and I found myself working more for less money.
In the end it would still come down to riding out another year or so.
And jobhunting in this economy gives me nightmares.
Still,I can only hope for the best.

Jim_Campbell

The revelation that gave me the impetus to go freelance over (Christ...!) a decade ago was twofold:

1) You can always get another shit job.

2) Fundamentally, they're all shit jobs.

Chin up. We live in a society that insists we define ourselves by work, but that's rubbish. If a job is making you miserable and getting worse, you don't owe anyone your mental or physical health. If you have to stack shelves at Tesco (I have) or do a call centre job (I have, more than once), who cares? I've quit management jobs before now because they were making me ill and destroying my quality of life and, despite sometimes experiencing short term hardship as a result, my only regret every time was that I didn't do it sooner.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

paddykafka

Hi Smith!

For what it's worth, I can very much relate to your situation. In my case I was strongly advised by my supervisor - a wonderful boss and very supportive and kind lady - to go on sick leave and see a doctor as soon as possible. My problems began a couple of years earlier when I was bullied and forced out of my work-place by two women who had taken over the running of the community centre - where I was based at the time - from the previous chairman who had sadly died.

These two Muppets hadn't a bloody clue what they were doing and they basically took a dislike to me for reasons that I still do not know. (I suspect that my chronic social anxiety had a lot to do with it. In any event, they said that they had other plans for staffing the centre and my services were no longer required). No other explanation. No apology for the way they treated me. No thank-you for the over two years of service I had given to that poxy centre. Nothing!

There was nothing that either my supervisor or the Union could do, as I was there as a result of a gentleman's agreement between the chair of the community group that I worked for and the now sadly deceased former chairman. That ended when the Witches of Eastwick took over.

So for the next month or two - and directly induced by the stress I had gone through - I had to use up first my remaining sick days and then my holidays for the rest of the year until I recovered. An alternative work-place was found for me but - and this was no fault whatsoever of the management - due to under-funding and limited resources on their part, they simply did not have the space or basic facilities to cater for me. I did try and stick things out for well over a year, but it was obvious to the manager that I was unhappy there - I'm talking severe depression, anxiety and over-doses - which resulted in her contacting my supervisor and raising her concerns.

After two years on illness benefit, I have been medically determined as being an Invalid and placed on a pension by the Department of Social Welfare. This is not what I would ever have wanted or imagined before. But the light at the end of the tunnel is that at some point in the future I still have the option of returning to some type of work, if and when my health recovers sufficiently to allow me to. ( But it sure as Hell won't be in the Community & Voluntary sector!)

Forgive me if I've rambled on, Smith, but think of what I've related as a cautionary tale and be proud of yourself for quitting your job when you did before things got any worse for you. I hope that you're still in good enough health to continue in some other work-place soon. Wishing you all the best and respect to you for making the right decision.

Cheers! - Paddy