Main Menu

Doctor Who Filming reveals 2000AD connection (SPOILERS)

Started by Leigh S, 07 June, 2022, 01:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

So Beep the Meep and the Wrarth Warriors appear to have been seen on location filming for RTD and Tennant's (first) Specia'

Very conflicted on that.  Those Mills Wagner Gibbons stories are the reason Iam still a comics fan to this day, so seeing them become "real" is nice - seeing them rewrite them out of my own head cannon, possibly less so!

For me, the Weekly strips are a far superior season 18 to the one we got on screen....

Interested in Mills reaction!

Thoughts?

sheridan

Don't forget that Abslom Daak made a very brief appearance on TV (think it was on a screen in Time Heist).  If memory serves they used a Steve Dillon pic as a mugshot.

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 07 June, 2022, 02:34:38 PM
Don't forget that Abslom Daak made a very brief appearance on TV (think it was on a screen in Time Heist).  If memory serves they used a Steve Dillon pic as a mugshot.

Yup - about half way down blog post (the image in the blog can be embiggened).

Hawkmumbler

Be nice if they gave Dogbolter a shot on TV, considering his semi-regular status on the BF audios. He was always a fun, if somewhat flat, villain to read.

No chance of seeing Deaths Head on screen so I wont even ask LMAO.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

Huey2

During most of his seasons, RTD would do a story or two which was an adaption of a Who story from other media - books, CDs or annuals - often producing some of the better stories.

I totally agree with you Leigh that the comic adventures we got in 80/81 were better than the telly ones - in fact I'd suggest, with the odd exception,  that the magazine tales were better from then right up to the demise of the classic series. I always thought some of the comics would have been great tales to expand - especially the ones by Mills/Wagner, Parkhouse or Morrison.

Beep the Meep has got the potential to be a great tv character: the anti-baby-Yoda. If I have any reservations about the transition it's that Beep doesn't look round enough (too humanoid) in the blurry photos and that alien invasions on the streets of contemporary London got overdone and then some under RTD.

I'd also second the call for Frobisher and Dogbolt. Perhaps we could have one episode set in the comic universe so we can get all of them: Frobisher, Dogbolt, Abslom Daak. Professor Asimov.

Leigh S

So the Christmas trailer seems to indicate this is a pretty close retelling of the original Star Beast (as close as can be with a different Doctor and 40 years between them)....

Not a peep out of Mills/Wagner or Gibbons about this on the Socials, so presuming they ahve been paid for the adapation (I;m sure Pat would let us know if not!), but I will be keeping the original in my canon over any remake! 

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Leigh S on 27 December, 2022, 10:39:53 PM
Not a peep out of Mills/Wagner or Gibbons about this on the Socials, so presuming they ahve been paid for the adapation (I;m sure Pat would let us know if not!), but I will be keeping the original in my canon over any remake!

Just seen over on That Fancy Facebook that John says both Pat and Dave were paid for the adaptation — John says he asked to be excluded from the payments because the story in question was 100% Pat's script.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

pauljholden

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 28 December, 2022, 01:31:30 PM
Quote from: Leigh S on 27 December, 2022, 10:39:53 PM

Just seen over on That Fancy Facebook that John says both Pat and Dave were paid for the adaptation — John says he asked to be excluded from the payments because the story in question was 100% Pat's script.

John has, very quietly always been one of the best people when it comes to stuff like this.

Leigh S

John a gent as always!

My understanding was that they worked out the plots together, but then wrote alternate scripts - so Pat wrote Iron Legion, John wrote City of the Damned (my personal favoourite - BARA BARA THE BLOOD BEAST!), PAt wrote Star Beast and so on 

If I was RTD, an adaptation of City of the Damned would be my first priority!

Tiplodocus

The beauty of the comics for me was that they weren't constrained by budgets or FX technology. Hence you got stuff like the Iron Legion. I reckon they could have a good go at this these days though.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

nxylas

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 28 December, 2022, 08:51:56 PM
The beauty of the comics for me was that they weren't constrained by budgets or FX technology. Hence you got stuff like the Iron Legion. I reckon they could have a good go at this these days though.
Especially as RTD has already said that the partnership with Disney will mean hugely increased budgets.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Hawkmumbler

Although of a very different era, I grew up reading The Crimson Hand and similar epics in the pages of DW Monthly and to this day consider it the correct way to do an epic in this universe. So good, over its long run, be it Marvel or Panini, DW Magazine/Monthly has rarely dropped the ball on the comic front, very much slept on.