Quote from: Colin YNWA on 29 April, 2021, 11:17:38 AM
Why the new voting system?

[yadda yadda]

Does that make sense?

Nope, not a lick.
:lol:

Well don't even try this one then!

Rules(ish)

Look this is for Fun (I've copied and pasted this, from a copy and paste... and done edits, so ya know if this feels familiar...) this means the rules are what the rules are. Guidelines to help us all chug along and enjoy this and find some consistency and understanding of what the heck we are doing.

1. MOST IMPORTANTLY - any artist who appears in these votes is a better artist than we'll ever be and so even if you really don't like someone's work (which is fine) keep it lovely like I know you can.

1a. Art is massively subjective so we won't agree on what makes good art, but we're talking favourites here. So by all means disagree with each other, be surprised about folks' decisions, debate and chew over, but be lovely and remember you ain't going to change anyone's mind about whose art they prefer so why try!

1b. Runner privilege means that yes I do whinge like no one's business when votes don't go the way I want them to... I need to learn to get over these things!

2. I will start one thread a day - Monday to Friday - all you need to do is allocate 5 votes between them (as whole numbers) to say who is your favourite and by how much.

2a. We are only considering work for Tharg here, so Prog and Meg - defo counted. I don't however give a fig if you think the art on Marshall Law or Skrull Kill Krew or The Filth is the best EVVVEEEERRRRRR, it's not for Tharg so we shouldn't consider it here - though you can of course discuss it.

2b. When we consider sister publications it gets a bit fuzzy, so I take a much more casual - decide for yourself - attitude. For me I'd say Crisis, yeah sure include that, Starlord and Tornado, you know why not. Revolver... maybe, I wouldn't, but if you do, heck how the hell will I know?!?

3. For each tie simply type the allocation of your 5 votes for each Art Droid so for example:

Woolly 4 : Colin YNWA 1

- feel free to say what you will after that, but it will help me (being lazy and all) if you type the names and the votes at the top of the comment - or make it clear otherwise by adding Bold tags.

3a. If you can't be bothered with that, just name the artist you prefer - clearly - and I'll award them a default 3 votes (the other artist getting nowt)

4. I will count up the votes for each artist in each thread after 3 days of it starting and announce the winner of the tie, the score for the tourney overall...

Classic Artist X points : Current Artists Y points

...Points for that round...

Woolly 428 : Colin YNWA 1

And the overall votes score

Classic Artists bigger X votes : Current Artists bigger Y votes

5. In the event of a tie both teams score ½ point each.

6. We are voting for our favourite, so not whose had the most impact, or is most important. There are no scales for objectively who's the best artist. It's art, it's whose stuff you like to gaze on the most. We won't agree and there are no right answers (except where I say there is so I can bitch and moan about some artist I love not getting as many votes as I think they deserve.)

For example I love Carlos' art. I really do. He's in my top ten. Is he in my top 5... no. So there, see I've said it, it's okay not to vote for Carlos when the time comes, however wonderful the man.

7. I'm winging this so anything thing I've forgotten I'll make up as we go along.

See you Monday when this all kicks off...

Colin YNWA

This one starts tomorrow folks - look forward to seeing you there.

Colin YNWA

As a little excerise when I had a break from doing some Tourney prep this morning - need to get ahead so I can plan what's next and after that... as a thought excerise and with some far off future tourney in mind I decided to try to rank all 64 artists in this competition in order of my preference.

If you want to ruin your morning and give yourself a spliting headache give it a go... its not a relaxing break let me tell you!

BPP

I think the Ryder cup tournament illustrates to me I can't - I've abstained from a few rounds not from apathy but from inability to qualify which of two great artists I prefer. At best I can lump people into 4 vague groups of gods / greats / goods / gash and tbh at least 60% are in the first 2 groups and 90 in the first 3. 2000ad is just blessed with amazing art. I never understood the whole yank 'artists don't push the needle' debate from a few years ago - to me the art, essentially the b&w line art IS the needle. A great genre tale I enjoy but the actual art - god I love that shit... a manic page of henry, a weird out of Harrison, a classic unworldly belardinelli, some Carlos black dots..... I love that shit to my core.

2000ads artists rock.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd