Main Menu

Staz Johnson and Cam Kennedy - Artists Ryder Cup Current vs Classic - Tie 27

Started by Colin YNWA, 08 June, 2021, 06:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Tough draw for an artist who went out of the Current Tourney in Round 1 to come up against runner up in the Classic Tourney. Staz Johnson's rugged muscular art has the glorious ability to morph to a style to suit any strip he is put to and in many way his art seems definitively 2000ad. Will all that do him any good for an artist who for some is amongst the greatest, if not the greatest Dredd artist, who ruled the strip for a long period doing Prog's first Golden Age, coming off the back of some very fondly remembered Rogue Trooper work as well.

Time for you to decide your favourite as the droids square up to the tee...

Staz Johnson - more info

OR

Cam Kennedy - more info

Remember for this tourney you have 5 votes to distribute as you please between these two artists, whole numbers only. So you can vote 5 - 0; 4 - 1; or 3 - 2; either way depending on how much more you like one artist's work over the other.

If you can't be doing with that just name your favourite - remember bold tags, or other ways of highlighting always appreciated - and I'll give them 3 votes and nowt to the other droid.

Three day votes, so this one ends morning of Friday 11th June

Remember we only consider work for Tharg in these Tourneys

What the heck is all this about - well we have a thread for that

How does this new voting work? Look here and why again?

I don't understand how this works, what are the rules of the Ryder Cup - yep got ya covered there too

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up. Most importantly have fun!

abelardsnazz

Cam has done so much classic stuff - The VCs, Rogue, Dredd. Staz has done brilliant stuff too, including on Rogue.

Cam Kennedy 3, Staz Johnson 2.

BPP

Ooof.

Sorry staz, you're great but it's a personal fave

4-1 to Cam.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Tomwe

Been a fan of Staz since his Transformers days & was reading the Batbooks when he worked there too. But, as ever, the Classic artists loom large.

Staz Johnson - 2

OR

Cam Kennedy - 3

broodblik

Cam 5 Anyone else 0

Nothing against Staz he his an awesome artist but Cam is my all time favourite artist
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

AlexF

Like, Staz Johnson is THE guy you go to for a new Rogue Trooper story that feels like a classic era tale. But Cam Kennedy was the guy who perfected that look in the first place!!

I've actually worked with Staz on a few books in my day job and he's really great, his attention to period detail is superb. But by golly this is a tough draw.

Kennedy 4, Johnson 1

rogue69

paddykafka

Rogue Judge

Cam Kennedy 3, Staz Johnson 2

Tough draw for Staz.His recent post here showcasing some of his commissions was greatly appreciated, he's fantastic. Kennedy is up there with Ezquerra, and has drawn too many classics to ignore.

Dog Deever

Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Colin YNWA

Another quiet one here, but the result is probably not in doubt. If you would like to chip in nows the time and I'll count up in the morning.

As for me well its pretty straightforward. I like Staz Johnson hard, gritty, strong art - his recent post of some comissions he's done so what a talent he is. Cam Kennedy is however one of my all time favourites and depending on which way the wind is blowing my favourite classic Dredd artist. As such:

Staz Johnson 1 : Cam Kennedy 4