Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: wild-seven on 30 December, 2009, 05:57:36 PM
Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 30 December, 2009, 05:56:14 PM
I have just started reading 'If chins could kill: confessions of a B movie actor' by Bruce Campbell and already I am hooked. I hope to get quite a lot read tonight whilst at work.

Oooh I got that for Xmas, it's next on my 'to read' list

Brilliant book.  As always I'll add my unreserved recommendation for the follow-up-of-sorts Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way.

Mangamax

Just finished "Tarzan Of The Apes" and am just stunned by it.
None of the films i saw in my childhood, nor the Ron Ely TV series, nor the crappy Filmation cartoon nor Greystoke, could've prepared me for the real deal - an exhilarating, tense, downright NASTY tale that fair speeds along.
Only the blimey-thats-racist-now moments betray its time period origins, the rest could quite easily be a contemperay thriller.
The last couple of chapters are quite weak though and am looking forward to the next book to see how things pan out.
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

das

Quote from: Mangamax on 30 December, 2009, 07:37:38 PM
None of the films i saw in my childhood, nor the Ron Ely TV series, nor the crappy Filmation cartoon nor Greystoke, could've prepared me for the real deal - an exhilarating, tense, downright NASTY tale that fair speeds along.
Only the blimey-thats-racist-now moments betray its time period origins, the rest could quite easily be a contemperay thriller.
The last couple of chapters are quite weak though and am looking forward to the next book to see how things pan out.

all the tarzan books were great as i remember.  read them in order. and keep in mind that burroughs never left the usa during his life.
Confusion is Better Than Sex

IAMTHESYSTEM

I'm about to read Richard Matheson's 'The shrinking man'.Bless you Waterstone's Bookshop.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Mike Gloady

Following my huge enjoyment of the truly EXCELLENT "Ubik" by Phillip K. Dick a few weeks ago I'm about to tuck into "The Three Stigmata of Palmer  Eldritch" by the same author.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: das on 30 December, 2009, 08:35:15 PM

all the tarzan books were great as i remember.  read them in order. and keep in mind that burroughs never left the usa during his life.

If you like the Tarzan books, you'll LOVE the John Carter stories - Amazon is selling the first three in one HB volume for something like only 7 pounds. You could do worse, much worse!

Mangamax

Was thinking about them, as i only know the comic versions as the books never really got a proper release in the UK, but wondering if it'd be better to wait until the Pixar film is made and the inevitable "deluxe" additions come out?
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

locustsofdeath!

True about the delux editions, but if you decide to go for it at least the price isn't bad. The John Carter series is incredibly cool. I love the comics as well...I believe Dark Horse is looking to do something with the older ones (not the Marvels, which I love) similar to what they did with the old Tarzan comics.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin_YNWAy on 31 March, 2009, 07:44:07 AMcomics wise ...before returning to my 2000ad reread at the 800s.
Have you really read 400 Progs this year Colin? Chapeau.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Cosh on 31 December, 2009, 05:49:00 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWAy on 31 March, 2009, 07:44:07 AMcomics wise ...before returning to my 2000ad reread at the 800s.

Is that a bad thing???? I read a heck of a lot of comics and have read a lot more besides 500+ Progs to be honest. I get public transport a lot and get a lot of reading done then.

Edit - Oh I should add that until Prog 1000 I was cherry picking stories rather reading the whole thing.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 31 December, 2009, 06:12:56 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 31 December, 2009, 05:49:00 PM
Is that a bad thing????
Not a bad thing at all, it's just that I started reading again about four years ago with Prog 1450 and it's taken me until now to read the 270 Progs before it.
We never really die.

strontium_dog_90

Finished reading "The Demolished Man" by Alfred Bester - a true sci-fi classic, and I'm wondering if the psychic police featured were an influence on PSI-Division? Plus just got through the newest Tomes of the Dead release "Hungry Hearts" - and it's an absolute delight, possibly the best  I've read in the series so far. For anyone who laughs at things they really shouldn't, I can't recommend it enough.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: strontium_dog_90 on 31 December, 2009, 07:49:08 PM
Finished reading "The Demolished Man" by Alfred Bester - a true sci-fi classic, and I'm wondering if the psychic police featured were an influence on PSI-Division?

I think it's safe to say they were an influence on Babylon 5's Psi-Corps ...

And, yes, it's a fantastic book.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Buttonman

Those Christmas Books in Full :

THAT MITCHELL & WEBB BOOK : nice thick tome but not a titter to be had and no Numberwang.

Harry Hill's TV Burp Book : Pretty poor with only a couple of sherry induced smiles at best.

CHARLIE BOOKER : THE HELL OF IT ALL : A great collection of his Guardian columns. Some of it a bit dated with The Apprentice two series ago discussed in detail but funny and happily offensive.

ADRIAN MOLE : The Prostate Years : Still to read

VIZ : THE COUNCIL GRITTER : I didn't renew my VIZ sub as it was getting as unfunny as they said but this is a great toilet book format with some real laughs.

JUDGE ANDERSON : THE PSI FILES : Nice heavyweight book but it does remind you that Anderson's stuff (Ranson excluded) is largely superfluous.

DREDD CASE FILES 14 : Are my hands getting fatter (yes) or are these getting smaller? Nah I'm happy with this full colour reprint of Necropolis which had been underrated by me first time around but has now been elevated to 'pretty good' status.

To summarise this Christmas' bounty : smiles

das

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 30 December, 2009, 09:21:45 PM
Quote from: das on 30 December, 2009, 08:35:15 PM

If you like the Tarzan books, you'll LOVE the John Carter stories - Amazon is selling the first three in one HB volume for something like only 7 pounds. You could do worse, much worse!

BIGGLES of course !

and the evil part of that is that i'm american and read them all as a kid,
Confusion is Better Than Sex